Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wall riding roller blades?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Belvidere
So I've been trying to make roller blades that could stick to walls and are possibly motorized for a character idea I have, but I can't fiigure out a way to make them by RAW rules due to the fact that the roller blades in Arsenal don't have a capacity. If we had to give them some, what does dumpshock think they'd have? 6 default? Or...? Basically a way to give them gecko tape tips.

I'm trying to avoid taking the wall riding adept power, because I'd like them to be actual gear.
Dumori
Id say aztechnology crawler as a base. So that many slots then X2 the speed as your removing the crawler modiferction. Of corse there is no RAW on this so house rules away.
Yerameyahu
Just take the stock skates, add a couple thousand ¥, and maybe reduce the speed bonus. You definitely couldn't wall-ride very far, though, because your ankles, legs, trunk, etc. aren't strong enough to ignore gravity. smile.gif
Tech_Rat
You weren't watching or reading AirGear, were you? I never could figure out a good ruling on this... I'd figure capacity of 4 would be fair, along with Pilot Exotic Vehicle [Air Gear], or [Wall Skates]. Call'em Gecko skates, use a micro drone's base cost/2 to account for the motor's cost. Figure 3,000 nuyen.gif would be fair cost for the most basic set. Of course... These are all house customs. I'd second Dumori on the modifying a crawler and set of inlines.
Belvidere
I figured it out. I hadn't thought of coming at it from the drone angle.

-Ferret RPD-1X (Arsenal pg 118) 3,000 nuyen.gif
-Gecko Tips 300 nuyen.gif
-Metahuman Adjustment:(Pixie/Foot?) 500 nuyen.gif
-Complete Skinlink: 5000 nuyen.gif
(And Still 7 slots left open for whatever you want!)

Total: 3,800 nuyen.gif
Two "Skates": 7,600 nuyen.gif

Pilot them via remote with the skinlink. grinbig.gif
A bit ridiculous, but hey, we're trying to make wall riding roller blades.

And to Adrian, I was thinking Air Gear/Jet Set Radio Future. Haha
Yerameyahu
I really don't think drones is the way to go, unless you want/need them to have Pilots. smile.gif
Belvidere
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 5 2010, 08:33 PM) *
I really don't think drones is the way to go, unless you want/need them to have Pilots. smile.gif

Well, you're the pilot. grinbig.gif I'm just trying to find a way to do it with RAW rules. Though technically I already broke those. Metahuman Adjustment is only for Trolls and Dwarves
Yerameyahu
Oh, I see. Yeah, ignoring RAW entirely is probably the right way. smile.gif
Belvidere
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 5 2010, 09:40 PM) *
Oh, I see. Yeah, ignoring RAW entirely is probably the right way. smile.gif

True, but I thought it would be hilarious if I show'd up to a Missions game with wall riding roller blades. Haha, just to see the look on a GMs face.
Yerameyahu
Haha. smile.gif Anyway, the problem is still that the skates will be wall-riding, but the *character* will be on the ground, bruised. ;D
Belvidere
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 5 2010, 09:00 PM) *
Haha. smile.gif Anyway, the problem is still that the skates will be wall-riding, but the *character* will be on the ground, bruised. ;D

Hmm... well the roller blades say overcoming difficult terrain could require a gymnastics test. grinbig.gif What do you think the threshold for Difficult Terrain: Vertical Wall is? Ahaha
Yerameyahu
Barely relevant:
http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2010/07/06/awe...motorized-shoes
Udoshi
Hm. If you have a mage type character, you could always have a regular pair of skates enchanted to be a Manipulation sustaining focus. Pair it with Gecko Crawl. Lets see how this works out.

Skates "increase the character's walking or running movement rate by one half(round up)", and gecko crawl "allows a subject to walk along vertical or overhead surfaces at a movement rate equal to force times hits in meters per turn." Okay, so, we're walking. Good.

Lets say you have it at force 3(focus and spell, due to availability limits). You'll be limited to 3 hits on the spell, giving you a max speed of 9 m/turn.
Which is bumped up a little, to 14 m/s. Not too bad. Now we throw a force 3 spirit with movement into the works, raising your speed to 42 per turn, or 21 if you have four or more body.

Time to compare it.... (remember, rounding up)
Trolls walk/run at 15/35. With skates: 23/53
Dwarves are 8/20. With skates: 12/30
humans are 10/25. With skates: 15/38

Yep. Seems in about the right ballpark range. You can always summon a bigger spirit to go faster on walls. There is, however, one last, very important question you need to ask yourself if you do this:

Do you want a materialization tradition, so your spirit can catch you if you fall off the wall?
Or do you want to be a possession tradition, so your skates an be on fire while you do this? (well, actually, fire spirits don't have movement. So it would either be water or air. Skating on air sounds pretty cool, though)
Belvidere
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jul 6 2010, 06:11 PM) *
Hm. If you have a mage type character, you could always have a regular pair of skates enchanted to be a Manipulation sustaining focus. Pair it with Gecko Crawl. Lets see how this works out.

Skates "increase the character's walking or running movement rate by one half(round up)", and gecko crawl "allows a subject to walk along vertical or overhead surfaces at a movement rate equal to force times hits in meters per turn." Okay, so, we're walking. Good.

Lets say you have it at force 3(focus and spell, due to availability limits). You'll be limited to 3 hits on the spell, giving you a max speed of 9 m/turn.
Which is bumped up a little, to 14 m/s. Not too bad. Now we throw a force 3 spirit with movement into the works, raising your speed to 42 per turn, or 21 if you have four or more body.

Time to compare it.... (remember, rounding up)
Trolls walk/run at 15/35. With skates: 23/53
Dwarves are 8/20. With skates: 12/30
humans are 10/25. With skates: 15/38

Yep. Seems in about the right ballpark range. You can always summon a bigger spirit to go faster on walls. There is, however, one last, very important question you need to ask yourself if you do this:

Do you want a materialization tradition, so your spirit can catch you if you fall off the wall?
Or do you want to be a possession tradition, so your skates an be on fire while you do this? (well, actually, fire spirits don't have movement. So it would either be water or air. Skating on air sounds pretty cool, though)

YES, YES IT DOES!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012