Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Airfoil grenades
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tanegar
The scatter table on page 155 of SR4A has an entry for "aerodynamic grenades" different from "standard grenades," but neither of the grenade cost tables on page 325 of SR4A and page 179 of Arsenal have separate entries for airfoil grenades. Am I to assume that both types cost the same, and if so, why would anyone ever use standard over airfoil grenades?
Saint Sithney
Aerodynamic grenades have double the scatter but lose that scatter at twice the rate.
So, on average, you will land closer with the standard grenade, but you won't be able to throw as far.

Let's do math!

Standard grenade lands 3.5m from the target, -1 per net hit.
Aerodynamic grenade lands 7m from the target, -2 per net hit.

So, at 1 hit
Standard = 2.5m away
Aerodynamic = 5m away
At 2 hits
Standard = 1.5m away
Aerodynamic = 3m away
At 3 hits
Standard = .5m away
Aerodynamic = 1m away
At 4 hits
Standard = bing!
Aerodynamic = bing!

Also, who wants to look like a hippy tossing Frisbee grenades?
Yerameyahu
I always thought the main reason was that Aero grenades have slightly more range. Honestly, they deserve a little more, though.
Railgun
Grind the edges to an edge and throw them into people! Cyberpunk Xena would approve of a grenade being jammed chest deep into some unfortunate individual. Death hippies rejoice.
Tanegar
OK, now the other part of my question: how much do airfoil grenades cost, and where is this information given?
MortVent
no cost difference

another thing to consider is the non-aero ones can be considered good for bobytraps iirc one of the editions had a rule where they could be used but not the frisbees
Yerameyahu
I'd definitely say you could booby-trap either.
Deadmannumberone
The standard grenades would be easier to booby trap, but both should be able to set up.
Saint Sithney
To the simple math I did above, I should add that the probability distribution is such that an Aerodynamic grenade will land dead on target with 4 net hits 73% of the time, while the Standard will only ping the target 66% of the time with 4 net hits.

So, the better you are at throwing, the more effective an aerodynamic gets. 5 net hits puts the aerodynamic on target 92% of the time, but the standard only pings 83% of the time.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Jul 6 2010, 03:58 AM) *

This.

Though add in the Urban Explorer Jumpsuit and I see a character concept coming on. Think Brad Pitt in burn after reading.
Yerameyahu
Um. What kind of hippy tosses frisbee GRENADES? wink.gif
IceKatze
hi hi

we all know one of the main elements of attack is the element of surprise
Look at those guys! Look at that! Wait, those are grenades. I was so surprised, were you surprised? I was surprised.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 6 2010, 10:23 PM) *
Um. What kind of hippy tosses frisbee GRENADES? wink.gif

The awesome kind.
Shinobi Killfist
I give you Chad Feldheimer

Body 5
Strength 5
Agility 5/9
Reaction 4/6
Charisma 2
Intuition 2
Logic 2
Willpower 3
Edge 5
Essence 4
Magic 6/4
Initiative 8(3 Passes)

Adept 5
Restricted Gear(
Martial Art Krav Maga Ready Weapon Free Action
Unarmed Combat 4
Throwing Weapons(Grenades Bitches) 6- 8
Etiquette 2
Gymnastics 4
Infiltration 2
Resources 44- 220,000
Contacts 5 points
Urban Explorer Nonconductive level 4
+ Helmet
Glasses with thermo etc.
Grenades, throwing, knives.
Synaptic Booster 2
Muscle Toner 4
Platelet Factories

Adept Powers
Missile Mastery
Power Throw 3
Combat Sense 4
Attribute Boost Strength
Yerameyahu
Hehe, I meant that hippies generally don't go in for mass violence. biggrin.gif
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 6 2010, 10:39 PM) *
Hehe, I meant that hippies generally don't go in for mass violence. biggrin.gif

Yes, but the awesome ones do.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jul 6 2010, 07:28 PM) *

...after graduating with a 2.1 average, Chad couldn't find work in his field of employ and turned to the Shadows. There he utilized his ULTIMATE FRISBEE SKILLZ to launch a lucrative career as a freelance assassin.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jul 6 2010, 07:28 PM) *

Body 5
Strength 5
Agility 5/9
Reaction 4/6
Charisma 2
Intuition 2
Logic 2
Willpower 3
Edge 5
Essence 4
Magic 6/4
Initiative 8(3 Passes)

Adept 5
Restricted Gear(
Martial Art Krav Maga Ready Weapon Free Action
Unarmed Combat 4
Throwing Weapons(Grenades Bitches) 6- 8
Etiquette 2
Gymnastics 4
Infiltration 2
Resources 44- 220,000
Contacts 5 points
Urban Explorer Nonconductive level 4
+ Helmet
Glasses with thermo etc.
Grenades, throwing, knives.
Synaptic Booster 2
Muscle Toner 4
Platelet Factories

Adept Powers
Missile Mastery
Power Throw 3
Combat Sense 4
Attribute Boost Strength

Bring it! I still think Joe Canon is tougher.

BlueMax
Shrike30
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jul 6 2010, 07:22 PM) *
Though add in the Urban Explorer Jumpsuit and I see a character concept coming on. Think Brad Pitt in burn after reading.

Heh... that'd be Sk8, although he's pretty cyber heavy compared to the builds I've seen posted here. About the time I was thinking of putting some karma into learning to use a grenade launcher, I realized he was strong enough to throw a grenade to most of the ranges I'd want one at. Then, it occurred to me that aero grenades would go even further (100+ meters). First character I've had who uses 'em, and they're the shit with good skill. I use the ones shaped like those funky Nerf footballs with fins, though... right down to the neon case colors.

Nice thing about the non-aero grenades is that you won't scatter too far. For the average yahoo throwing a grenade, that's handy... it at least ends up in vaguely the right neighborhood when you throw it, since it scatters (max) 5 meters with a single hit. If you're good at throwing, though, the aero grenades are a delight.
crash2029
While airfoil grenades are cool, I just like standard better. Maybe it's too many movies, I don't know. However if you are willing to spend a little more you can always out fit a regular grenade with gecko grip. Since they come with motion sensors and wireless links they make great toys. They are almost as much fun as a holdout pistol with gecko grip, explosive self-destruct, and smartlink.
Yerameyahu
Just use glue. biggrin.gif But, yes. Grenades are most fun when you get creative.
IceKatze
hi hi

One thing that Airfoil grenades would be able to do that standard grenades could not, at least in reality, would be you could aim them around corners.
Tanegar
You could bounce a standard grenade around a corner, provided you were in a corridor or there was some other convenient surface.
IceKatze
hi hi

If you had a surface with some good angles, you could scatter a standard grenade around a corner for a short distance, but with an airfoil grenade you could get some serious distance down the corridor and then scatter.

Also, airfoil grenades are harder to throw back.
Shrike30
Oh, I get it... like curving a frisbee. Evil smile.gif
Tanegar
QUOTE (IceKatze @ Jul 7 2010, 10:22 PM) *
Also, airfoil grenades are harder to throw back.

How? If they're easier to throw, they should be easier to throw back.
IceKatze
hi hi

Ok, harder for goons with the kind of skill ratings normal people have.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Jul 6 2010, 12:58 AM) *

Henceforth these shall be known as Frisbombs in my group
Yerameyahu
Frizbams? The Fabulous. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012