Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cybernetics and kids
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Penta
Okay, reading 6WA (I'll dispense my thoughts on it, if asked, in another thread or by PM), just got up to 2019.

And one point has me confused, because Shadowrun has never been consistent here.

Can cyberware/bioware be implanted in kids, or not?

Is it regularly done, or not?

Shadowrun has at times said all of ""Yes to both", "No to both", "Yes and no respectively", and "Maybe".

Authors? Line Devs current and former? Anybody? What's the answer, or at least what's the intent?
Doc Chase
Can it be done? Yes.

Has it been done? Yes.

Should it be done? Depends on the upgrade. You typically don't want to implant cyberware in an immature body as it could inhibit growth and be potentially fatal to the patient, unless absolutely necessary.

Jhaiisiin
Yes they can, but are likely restricted to items that don't need much replacing over time, such as cybereyes, or low-key internal mods. Certain bioware might be a good idea as it might be able to grow with the host. Beyond that, most major cyber is likely on hold until the child finishes most or all of their growth.
Makki
i'd say limbs have to be replace as the child grows. there's a kid with cybereyes in Denver Missions, because she was born blind...
MortVent
headware yes, bodyware no

growth and development. IIRC the brain is pretty much developed around age 6-7 to full size and growth.. after that it's just learning.. where the body isn't fully developed till around 16-17
Deadmannumberone
QUOTE (MortVent @ Jul 6 2010, 11:47 AM) *
headware yes, bodyware no

growth and development. IIRC the brain is pretty much developed around age 6-7 to full size and growth.. after that it's just learning.. where the body isn't fully developed till around 16-17

The brain is fully developed at 5-7, the skull 14-18, the full body 20-25. That said, the brain is effectively fully developed at around 4 years, the skull at 12, and the body at 16 as after that there is usually very little additional growth.
Yerameyahu
I feel like growing up with cyber would mess with you anyway (consciously, subconsciously, and at a simple biological level), but that's always fun for story. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012