Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: where are tool lasers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JohnNoSIN
im trying to figure out how to cut stuff and the tool laser was always good in 2d edition. I saw the tool laser eye cybereye but I can't find it anywhere else. do tool lasers exist? thanks.
hobgoblin
there is a welding laser cyberlimb module in augmentation, p47/48.
JohnNoSIN
are there any rules on how htey work?
hobgoblin
as best i can tell they have weapon stats and use the barrier rules.
Yerameyahu
Chainsaw (monofilament) does 5P/-2 (double DV vs. Barriers). As a ranged weapon, a laser would not *normally* get its full 5P against barriers, but it's also a special tool designed for the job (just like the mono-chainsaw). The problem is that lasers of any kind don't actually have a slot on the DV to Barriers table. biggrin.gif

The bullet DV of 2 is not acceptable for the Welding Laser's designed function (sustained burn, not shots), and I'm not personally sure that weapon-like laser shots should be able to Destroy Barriers at all (shoot through, that's much more likely).

Does anyone know of published rules for lasers against barriers (either tool or weapon lasers)?
hobgoblin
i think i would just class it under melee, even tho it is technically taser ranged.

and the welding laser is DV 5, AP -half.
Yerameyahu
Classing the 'sustained burn' mode as melee is probably the right idea. Is that DV workable, compared to the mono-saw? In any case, cutting with a laser should take *time*.

For the ranged attack 'burst shot' mode, I guess you could treat it as a bullet without worrying, because an SS weapon with an Exotic skill won't be getting too many net hits anyway. smile.gif
JohnNoSIN
ap gets ingored for barriers. also did notice that lasers werent on the barriers table which is a strange. since they are designed for cutting do they use the attached explosives rules? how do other laser wapons break walls? it is not clearly explained.
Yerameyahu
Honestly, using the chainsaw against barriers should also take significant time. Unless I'm mistaken (easily the case), there just aren't rules for this kind of 'safecracking' action. The solution is probably just the GM-call it. Things designed to cut through barriers should be able to do so, stats or no stats. There's obviously a time factor, and an upper limit to what can be cut (the eye tool laser, for example, describes very thin things).

I wouldn't give AP to Destroying Barriers, no. It's not appropriate, logically, and the rules clearly say no. smile.gif
D2F
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 6 2010, 08:13 PM) *
I'm not personally sure that weapon-like laser shots should be able to Destroy Barriers at all (shoot through, that's much more likely).

What makes you say that?
crash2029
QUOTE (D2F @ Jul 7 2010, 12:31 AM) *
What makes you say that?

Bullet: teeny-tiny hole with some small radiating fractures.
Laser: teeny-tiny hole.
It would eventually destroy barriers, but only after a ludricous amount of shots. Kind of like bullets, only less effective.

-

As for small cutting tools why not the miniwelder?
JohnNoSIN
I'm trying to figure out how much is in a capaciter pack for the lasers. so I could see what sort of stuff I could keep charged from it on a run if I brought tools or something.
Yerameyahu
They have a listed number of shots/minutes of operation. It's usually about 10 shots or minutes, IIRC, but it depends on the unit. Weapon lasers have listed 'ammo' amounts that you can supplement with extra packs or direct power.

Most other items never have *any* need for external power, so the only thing you'd be powering off your jury-rigged laser battery would be other lasers, or perhaps a taser or something. smile.gif
JohnNoSIN
not many things need power normally but this is shadowrun where shit gets blowed up. Im thinking you could use them to power your broken car for some time. or to make the portable welder lots stronger. could just short them on things with a paperclip too. pretty kabooms.
Yerameyahu
Oh, I thought you were talking about the rules. smile.gif

Honestly, even if you're playing it fast and loose, full MacGyver style, it'd take more than a couple Complex Actions to make a specialized battery play nice with something else. Tools aren't designed to be overclocked.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012