Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mentor Spirits.......
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
iategod
I have this concept i'm working on creating as a character. Shapeshifter (bear) mystic adept. Now the spells i'll have are mainly manipulation and i was planning on using a crow as a mentor spirit (+2 manip). However i like the drawback for the bear spirit. Here's the break down.....

Bear Pros
-Drawback (beserker) fits with my character's background very well.
-The spirit can be of the character's father
-what other spirit fits with a doc shaman in the Bear Doc Society?
Bear Cons
-the +2 health bonus isn't very helpful at all

Crow Pro
-the +2 manip bonus is great since my character will be a mystic adept and could use all the bonus dice for spells
-The crow can be the spirit of the shaman who taught magic to my character (the teacher was a amerindian from the crow tribe)
-The picture of a bear with a big black crow on its shoulder appeals to me. Flying pets are cool.
Crow Cons
-the spirit drawback isn't in tune with the character nor does it fit as nicely with a member of the Bear Doc Society

I'm guessing i can only have 1 mentor spirit, period. If i could make my own i would have the drawback of the bear with the bonus of the crow in the form of either bear or crow depending on the GMs mood, i guess. Is there a solution i'm not seeing?
Brazilian_Shinobi
Suck it up and stick to one? grinbig.gif

Now, the name of the mentor spirits means nothing. They are just representations of an ideal. Depending on your tradition the animal or creature that represents some ideal might change.
For instance, I'm thinking of playin as an Amazonian Adept Jaguar Shapeshifter. When looking at the Mentor spirits, two caught my eyes: Cat and Dark King. Cat would be the obvious choice, but I really liked the Dark King, so, I've made some research and discovered that there was an Olmec god who was considered the Jaguar God of Terrestrial Fire also known as the Jaguar God of the Underworld. So, I just found a reason. grinbig.gif
Shinobi Killfist
I just want old school gator back. Stubborn, lazy, going for the big score so he can be lazy again. Now that is a totem I can bond with. Can pick wither swamp(plant) or city(man) spirits due to the urban legend of gators in the sewers.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jul 8 2010, 03:12 PM) *
I just want old school gator back. Stubborn, lazy, going for the big score so he can be lazy again. Now that is a totem I can bond with. Can pick wither swamp(plant) or city(man) spirits due to the urban legend of gators in the sewers.

Yeah... Gator was pretty cool... wobble.gif

Keep the Faith
MortVent
Bob
Advantages: +2 dice for disguise rolls and Illusion spells
Disadvantages: -2 dice for street cred rolls

Bob is the mentor spirit of the everyman, he blends into the crowd and rarely stands out.

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (MortVent @ Jul 8 2010, 04:40 PM) *
Bob
Advantages: +2 dice for disguise rolls and Illusion spells
Disadvantages: -2 dice for street cred rolls

Bob is the mentor spirit of the everyman, he blends into the crowd and rarely stands out.

Heheheh... wobble.gif

Keep the Faith
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 8 2010, 06:23 PM) *
Yeah... Gator was pretty cool... wobble.gif

Keep the Faith

When I was younger I was a fan of Shark, now i get a better vibe off of Raven.

Of course that could be reflective of the changes to the magic system over the years.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Jul 9 2010, 07:57 AM) *
When I was younger I was a fan of Shark, now i get a better vibe off of Raven.

Of course that could be reflective of the changes to the magic system over the years.

Going through all the mage characters that have mentor spirits in my portfolio... It seems that I tend to favor Dark King a bit, in one incarnation or another... wobble.gif

Keep the Faith
CanRay
Pigeon would make a good Urban Mentor for a Shaman. I mean, the bloody things are just flying rats after all. nyahnyah.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 9 2010, 10:34 AM) *
Pigeon would make a good Urban Mentor for a Shaman. I mean, the bloody things are just flying rats after all. nyahnyah.gif

Pigeon is actually a pretty good choice in my opnion... I like it, because, as you say, it is just a flying rat... and they are all over the place in an urban environment...

Keep the Faith
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 9 2010, 11:34 AM) *

They can +2 dice to shit all over the opposition.
CanRay
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jul 9 2010, 01:55 PM) *
They can +2 dice to shit all over the opposition.

And +4 dice to shit over their car.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 9 2010, 03:35 PM) *
And +4 dice to shit over their car.

Don't remind me. I park near a plum tree, when the fruit is growing my car takes quite a few hits.
Yerameyahu
That is so unfair to rats. Pigeons are flying rats only inasmuch as they're urban animal pests; however, they're way stupider. biggrin.gif Their mentor penalty should be -2 to Logic and Willpower. nyahnyah.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 9 2010, 03:31 PM) *
That is so unfair to rats. Pigeons are flying rats only inasmuch as they're urban animal pests; however, they're way stupider. biggrin.gif Their mentor penalty should be -2 to Logic and Willpower. nyahnyah.gif

Heheheh... wobble.gif

Keep the Faith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012