Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spirit possession and powers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
merashin
I was looking to make a free spirit character, not specifically for a game i just make characters as something to do when i'm bored, and i decided to make him possession so that i could have decent physical stats. That's when it dawned on me that i could buy a pet from running wild to use as a pet. Now my question is whether or not a spirit possessing a paranormal critter would get control of that critter's powers or not? In street magic on page 102 it says " The spirit is in full physical control of the vessel, but does not have access to the host’s knowledge, skills, or experience," which leads me to believe that I would, but it just seemed like something the spirit shouldn't get so i figured i would ask and make sure.
Matsci
QUOTE (merashin @ Jul 8 2010, 05:44 PM) *
I was looking to make a free spirit character, not specifically for a game i just make characters as something to do when i'm bored, and i decided to make him possession so that i could have decent physical stats. That's when it dawned on me that i could buy a pet from running wild to use as a pet. Now my question is whether or not a spirit possessing a paranormal critter would get control of that critter's powers or not? In street magic on page 102 it says " The spirit is in full physical control of the vessel, but does not have access to the host’s knowledge, skills, or experience," which leads me to believe that I would, but it just seemed like something the spirit shouldn't get so i figured i would ask and make sure.

Free spirts Add their physical stats to the matching stat when possessing, not their Force, FYI.
merashin
i know that, i was just curious as to whether i would have the powers of the critter i possessed. Such as the animal control (avians) power of the merlin hawk.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (merashin @ Jul 8 2010, 11:17 PM) *
i know that, i was just curious as to whether i would have the powers of the critter i possessed. Such as the animal control (avians) power of the merlin hawk.

Probably not, since you do not get the powers of the mage (Spellcasting and his spells) when you possess him... all you have access to is your powers and increased stats based upon the possession...

Keep the Faith
augmentin
I have a build revolving around this concept as well (Free Spirit possessing a Cerberus Hound). I went with your ruling that he would have access to the host powers. But, I can certainly see the argument against as well. I'm very curious as to what everyone else thinks.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 9 2010, 10:51 AM) *
Probably not, since you do not get the powers of the mage (Spellcasting and his spells) when you possess him... all you have access to is your powers and increased stats based upon the possession...

Keep the Faith

Magical spells aren't available because the possessing spirit does not have access to the hosts skills. Sorcery being the one used for casting spells.

Critter Powers aren't listed as unavailable, and Powers such as Natural Weapon and Paralyzing Howl make perfect sense to be retained by the possessed entity.
Dahrken
I would rule things as follow :

Powers 'always on"should probably still work for the possessed critter (things like Dissimulation, Hardened Armor etc... or permanent stat increase for an adept)

Anything that requires activation/target selection - like the howl or flaming breath of various meta-canines - cannot be used by the possessing spirit.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jul 9 2010, 12:29 PM) *
Magical spells aren't available because the possessing spirit does not have access to the hosts skills. Sorcery being the one used for casting spells.

Critter Powers aren't listed as unavailable, and Powers such as Natural Weapon and Paralyzing Howl make perfect sense to be retained by the possessed entity.

Makes sense... But is it RAW?

Keep the Faith
Yerameyahu
Some powers make more sense than others. GM earns his pizza. smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 9 2010, 03:42 PM) *

Good GM's ALWAYS earn their Pizza... wobble.gif

Keep the Faith
Badmoodguy88
A Sprite possessing an adept can use the adept's powers with no limitations. I figure it is much the same with something like a hell hound.

But for something like a Merlin Hawk I could see it become more of a game balance issue.
B A R S C I L W EDG ESS M Init IP
1 7 3 1 4 6 4 4 3 6 5 9 1
Movement: 30/70 (flight)
Skills: Astral Combat 3, Flight 5, Perception 4, Spellcasting 4,
Summoning 4, Unarmed Combat 3
Powers: Animal Control (Avians), Dual Natured, Natural
Weapon (Claws/Bite: DV 2P, AP 0)
Weaknesses: Fragile (1), Vulnerability (Willow-Wood Weapons,
Poisons)
Note: Merlin Hawks can cast any Detection or Illusion spell.

Of course the downside to using those spells is that the spirit is inside a body that can take vary little damage.
Also the hawk can simply be trained to cast the spells on command, and it would be less of a hassle to simply learn the spells. Plus because it did say they learn spells they probably take drain, and if that is the case then it probably is to much like a possessed mage an spells.

Free Spirit possessing a Cerberus Hound

This probably is the best bet. I have been looking into it too. The other obvious choices are Fenrir Wolf (means fen dweller, they are easier to get a hold of but are totally illegal) or Hellhound(because they can get a license and so potentially not be shot on sight). Cerberus Hound gets so many useful abilities. But I just looked at the cost. It is (80,000¥x1.25x2) or 200,000 just to get it with instinctive training. It is only 80,000 with out the training that you can do in game if you have the skills.

The other thing to consider is that wile you are possessing a vessel you use YOUR magic attribute but the lowest of the two mental attributes, and because of limited starting points a free spirit is likely to be the less mentally gifted of the two. By a wide margin too.
tagz
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 9 2010, 11:42 PM) *

I think that's the way to handle it.

Me, I'd rule that anything that was tied to the body would definitely be usable. Anything that was a mental ability might be blocked. Just a general rule I'd run by, but it's not come up yet in my games.
Deadmannumberone
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jul 9 2010, 01:29 PM) *

Spells are unavailable as you have to know the spell before you can cast it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012