Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Monofilament Whip question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Jyster
Can you make a Monofilament Whip weapon focus?
Laodicea
Yes.
Emy
Very yes.
Wasabi
Yes, even an implanted one.

wink.gif
Lansdren
QUOTE (Wasabi @ Jul 13 2010, 11:21 AM) *
Yes, even an implanted one.

wink.gif

Although I believe it has to be enchanted before implantation.
Yerameyahu
You shouldn't, though. It's lame.
Stahlseele
No, it's qute badass.
Yerameyahu
Not even a little bit badass.
Stahlseele
whipping it out and striking a spirit or so in half with your outstretched finger is VERY MUCH badass . .
Laodicea
just to weigh in on the badass vs. not badass argument here:
The whip doesn't have the same romance as a sword, but it is pretty damn badass. Particularly in terms of concealability, and in game terms of a low str character like a petite girl being able to rend a man in half.
TheOOB
The monofilament whip has good stats and is a viable melee options for low-strength characters, and it can be enchanted. There is nothing not to like.
Lansdren
QUOTE (TheOOB @ Jul 13 2010, 03:17 PM) *
The monofilament whip has good stats and is a viable melee options for low-strength characters, and it can be enchanted. There is nothing not to like.

A critical glitch

Emy
QUOTE (Lansdren @ Jul 13 2010, 08:19 AM) *
A critical glitch

If you plan on using a lot of either monowhips or explosives, I highly recommend the Guard power.
Stahlseele
That's one nice thing about weapon-focus . . you get more dice for using it, so the probabilty of a critical glitch goes down accordingly . .
Laodicea
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 13 2010, 09:05 AM) *
That's one nice thing about weapon-focus . . you get more dice for using it, so the probabilty of a critical glitch goes down accordingly . .

I've been wondering about this, actually. I'm not sure the answer is entirely intuitive.
It seems intuitive that you are at much less risk throwing 4 dice than 2 dice. With only 2 dice you need only one 1. Throwing 4 dice you need two 1s, but you have also increased your chances of getting 1s. Your need for 1s always remains at half your dice pool. Although you are increasing your chances to get a 1 with each dice thrown, there is still simply a 1/6 chance, independantly, for each die. It's not like you now have a 2/6 chance simply because you doubled your dice pool.

/confused
Belvidere
QUOTE (Laodicea @ Jul 13 2010, 11:15 AM) *
I've been wondering about this, actually. I'm not sure the answer is entirely intuitive.
It seems intuitive that you are at much less risk throwing 4 dice than 2 dice. With only 2 dice you need only one 1. Throwing 4 dice you need two 1s, but you have also increased your chances of getting 1s. Your need for 1s always remains at half your dice pool. Although you are increasing your chances to get a 1 with each dice thrown, there is still simply a 1/6 chance, independantly, for each die. It's not like you now have a 2/6 chance simply because you doubled your dice pool.

/confused

This is probably true. But as almost all gamers will agree. The higher your modifier/dice pool the better off you are. I believe it has something to do with gamer paranoia. Just like almost all Shadowrun players I've met must have their dice sitting on 6's when they aren't in use. grinbig.gif
AStarshipforAnts
QUOTE (Laodicea @ Jul 13 2010, 11:15 AM) *

/confused

That's not the way probability works. To get two ones you have to have the event probability of 1/6 combined with an independent event with probability of 1/6. 1/6 times, the first die will come up 1. But, 1/6 of those times, the second die comes up 1. That ends up being a combined probability of 1/36.
Draco18s
QUOTE (AStarshipforAnts @ Jul 13 2010, 10:20 AM) *
That's not the way probability works. To get two ones you have to have the event probability of 1/6 combined with an independent event with probability of 1/6. 1/6 times, the first die will come up 1. But, 1/6 of those times, the second die comes up 1. That ends up being a combined probability of 1/36.

Welcome to statistics. After taking this course you'll understand why you've never gotten a full house or royal flush in poker and why you keep losing money in the slots.

Also:
Having an even sized dice pool is more glitch prone than the odd sized dice pool smaller than it.

(Reason: Same number of 1s needed, 1 extra die to help make it happen).
AStarshipforAnts
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 13 2010, 11:24 AM) *
Welcome to statistics. After taking this course you'll understand why you've never gotten a full house or royal flush in poker and why you keep losing money in the slots.

Gambling: A tax on people who can't do math.
Draco18s
QUOTE (AStarshipforAnts @ Jul 13 2010, 10:24 AM) *

Hehe, indeed.
AStarshipforAnts
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 13 2010, 11:24 AM) *
Having an even sized dice pool is more glitch prone than the odd sized dice pool smaller than it.

(Reason: Same number of 1s needed, 1 extra die to help make it happen).

So what you're saying is that I can tweek the game not by munchkining my character, but by munchkining math. Oh happy day!
Stahlseele
And it took you how long to figure this out? ^^
AStarshipforAnts
Maybe.
Draco18s
QUOTE (AStarshipforAnts @ Jul 13 2010, 10:28 AM) *
So what you're saying is that I can tweek the game not by munchkining my character, but by munchkining math. Oh happy day!

Notably though, your odds of getting more successes go up more than your odds of a glitch. wink.gif
Karoline
QUOTE (Lansdren @ Jul 13 2010, 09:19 AM) *
A critical glitch

How many times have you gotten a critical glitch period? In something that your character is actually good at? That you didn't then negate by spending edge?

It's funny how everyone is always so quick to bring up the 'critical glitch damages you' but forget that critical glitches almost never happen, and when they do, they can be canceled, and when they can't, you still have armor and body, so it sucks but isn't instantly deadly.
Lansdren
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jul 13 2010, 04:45 PM) *
How many times have you gotten a critical glitch period? In something that your character is actually good at? That you didn't then negate by spending edge?

It's funny how everyone is always so quick to bring up the 'critical glitch damages you' but forget that critical glitches almost never happen, and when they do, they can be canceled, and when they can't, you still have armor and body, so it sucks but isn't instantly deadly.

I would say a critical glitch is as likley as a critical success.

The law of averages takes everyone from behind roughly at some point.

czarcasm
The one bad thing that I could say about a monofilament whip focus is that, if your character is astrally projecting, the damage code is IIRC reduced to that of a regular whip, which isn't that impressive.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Belvidere @ Jul 13 2010, 11:19 AM) *
This is probably true. But as almost all gamers will agree. The higher your modifier/dice pool the better off you are. I believe it has something to do with gamer paranoia. Just like almost all Shadowrun players I've met must have their dice sitting on 6's when they aren't in use. grinbig.gif

That's because the material of the dice will flow with gravity! So by setting them 6s up causes the 1s to be weight increasing the odds of 6s being rolled and decreasing the odds of 1s!

I will be honest though.... I've considered using a monofilament whip on my character.... at 9 agility, a base dice pool of 8 isn't half bad.

Then again, I've joked with some of the players about getting my character a katana or monofilament sword to use, because there's something stupidly awesome about an opportunistic ranged combatant running about with a sword on him.

--

QUOTE (AStarshipforAnts @ Jul 13 2010, 11:24 AM) *

That's why when I gamble I play poker against other players where you can start bring things other than odds into the game!
Karoline
I don't even remember what a critical success is.

That aside, the odds of a critical glitch are impossibly low once you get past about 6 dice. Sure, you might get one every... couple years or so, but that's about it.

On 6 dice the odds of getting the three 1s required is only 1 in 128, but then you also have to not get any hits, which means there is only somewhere around a 1 in 400 chance of getting a critical glitch on 6 dice, and the odds get longer from there. So yeah, even if my character was incompetent with the monofilament and only had 6 dice, I'd take 1 self hit in every 400 attacks for being able to use such an awesome weapon.
AStarshipforAnts
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jul 13 2010, 11:56 AM) *
1 self hit in every 400 attacks for being able to use such an awesome weapon.

And that's good enough for me.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jul 13 2010, 10:56 AM) *

5 or more net hits.

QUOTE (Karoline @ Jul 13 2010, 10:56 AM) *
Sure, you might get one every... couple years or so, but that's about it.

QUOTE (Lansdren @ Jul 13 2010, 10:50 AM) *
The law of averages takes everyone from behind roughly at some point.

From many, many years of playing That Other Game I never once rolled a critical hit on anything that mattered (I rolled two during a 26 month campaign: one on an undead and one on a mook that died even before damage was doubled; these being the only two critical hits ever made; though I had as single critical threat in the same campaign that didn't confirm).

I have, likewise, never* rolled a critical miss. I have rolled 1s on Initiative, Saving Throws, Skill/Attribute checks, and such (even some 20s in there too) but never on an attack roll.*

For this reason I have never acquired any weapon that did something special on crits.

*This is likely a slight exaggeration; I'm sure I have rolled 1s on attack rolls, but at a significantly lower rate than one would expect. Most, however, would have been minor in their effect resulting in little more than a standard miss.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jul 13 2010, 11:56 AM) *

That aside, the odds of a critical glitch are impossibly low once you get past about 6 dice. Sure, you might get one every... couple years or so, but that's about it.

On 6 dice the odds of getting the three 1s required is only 1 in 128, but then you also have to not get any hits, which means there is only somewhere around a 1 in 400 chance of getting a critical glitch on 6 dice, and the odds get longer from there. So yeah, even if my character was incompetent with the monofilament and only had 6 dice, I'd take 1 self hit in every 400 attacks for being able to use such an awesome weapon.

A critical success is 4+ net hits on the test.
Stahlseele
*Troll rolls obscene ammounts of dice on body roll to stage down 2D damage*
*GM looks on in astonishment* "That's a LOT of ones . . "
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 13 2010, 12:05 PM) *
*Troll rolls obscene ammounts of dice on body roll to stage down 2D damage*
*GM looks on in astonishment* "That's a LOT of ones . . "

Mage rolls 26 dice to cast fireball (SR3).

My. That's a lot of 1s and not a single success.

</C.L.U.E.>
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 13 2010, 05:08 PM) *
Mage rolls 26 dice to cast fireball (SR3).

My. That's a lot of 1s and not a single success.

</C.L.U.E.>

I actually saw that happen. Critical glitch on a drain resist for a Fireball. Set himself on fire like a Tibetan protestor.
StealthSigma
Here's my bigger disappointment about monofilament whips. You can't take a specialization for them, so you'll always be down 2 dice that you could get on other weapons.
Dumori
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 13 2010, 04:24 PM) *

I have to say I don't play slots but I've had at least 3 royal flushes, at least 1 off the flop, and umpteen full houses.
Dumori
You can in my game nyahnyah.gif I bunched a few of the monofilerment weapons in to a group just like lasers work. So you get 3 skills for one and can get that +2
Wasabi
QUOTE (Lansdren @ Jul 13 2010, 09:19 AM) *
A critical glitch

Best use for a F1 spirit and the Guard power ever.

And yeah, enchanted before implanted.
Wasabi
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Jul 13 2010, 12:11 PM) *
Here's my bigger disappointment about monofilament whips. You can't take a specialization for them, so you'll always be down 2 dice that you could get on other weapons.

In SR4A by RAW you can make your own specializations.
Laodicea
QUOTE (Dumori @ Jul 13 2010, 11:26 AM) *
I have to say I don't play slots but I've had at least 3 royal flushes, at least 1 off the flop, and umpteen full houses.

This man has a lot of Edge.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Wasabi @ Jul 13 2010, 01:45 PM) *
In SR4A by RAW you can make your own specializations.

Except that by RAW, the use of specializations with Exotic weapon skills do not make sense. The specialization is typically a group of similar weapons or in the case of melee weapons defensive skills. Exotic weapon skills are taken for a specific weapon, so you can't really give it a specialization for a weapon group. So the question becomes, what kind of specializations can you make up for use with a monofilament whip?
Belvidere
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Jul 13 2010, 01:51 PM) *
Except that by RAW, the use of specializations with Exotic weapon skills do not make sense. The specialization is typically a group of similar weapons or in the case of melee weapons defensive skills. Exotic weapon skills are taken for a specific weapon, so you can't really give it a specialization for a weapon group. So the question becomes, what kind of specializations can you make up for use with a monofilament whip?

Called shots, Parry (Silly... but RAW)
Those are just the two off of the top of my head. I don't think you should be able to spec in exotic weapons... they're exotic. Training to use them is hard enough
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Belvidere @ Jul 13 2010, 01:56 PM) *
Called shots, Parry (Silly... but RAW)
Those are just the two off of the top of my head. I don't think you should be able to spec in exotic weapons... they're exotic. Training to use them is hard enough

Disarm? grinbig.gif
Laodicea
People keep saying that defending/parrying/blocking with a monowhip is ridiculous conceptually. I just want to point out that sometimes defending yourself doesnt involve a direct block or parry of an enemies weapon. Sometimes it involves moving your weapon in a way that creates a threat to the enemies body should they pursue the attack. Recognizing this threat, the enemy backs off, and you've succeeded in your defense.
Garou
Well, for a weapon that is known to sometimes bites you back, the less you whip the thing around you better.

and about the MW as foci, shouldn't foci base thelesma be virgin, technologically unspoiled materials, and generally crafted by the mage himself if possible? just asking.
Stahlseele
No, it just gets harder to enchant, if you don't adhere to these conservative ideas . .
Lanlaorn
No, it's just easier to enchant if it is. For mundane thelesma the rules specifically mention commlinks as an example. Anyway Monofilament whips aren't even that high tech. Making the monofilament wire is, but once you have it then what, a little motor and casing that can spool it safely?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jul 13 2010, 01:29 PM) *
No, it's just easier to enchant if it is. For mundane thelesma the rules specifically mention commlinks as an example. Anyway Monofilament whips aren't even that high tech. Making the monofilament wire is, but once you have it then what, a little motor and casing that can spool it safely?

Well, the wire itself is not a naturally occurring material, but instead fabricated in a highly industrialized location (can you say "background count"?) which makes it a "high tech material."
Stahlseele
technically, a monowhip can be made from anything that you can get into 1 molecule thin sdtrands and strong enough
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012