Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astral Pool
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Fortune
Can an Astrally Perceiving Adept (or any Initiated dual natured character) make use of the Astral Pool that is granted through Initiation?
Glyph
It says it can be used for any test made while ON the astral plane or metaplanes. Personally, though, I would probably still allow initiates capable of perception (but not projection) to use it for Astral Perception tests (assensing). I wouldn't let them use it for combat, though, since they are still using their meat body's fighting abilities.
Fortune
Yet a Spellcaster is considered to be on the Astral (as well as the physical) when he is perceiving.

Additionally, I seem to recall the Pool's description stating that it only adds it's dice to non-magical skills.
Glyph
I guess it depends on how you interpret the word "On". Technically, perceiving characters are "on" both planes, but I don't think that is what they meant in this context.

It says the Astral Pool can be used for any astral test except for magical skill tests, with the exception of sorcery used for astral combat (as opposed to spellcasting, etc.). I still don't think that it should apply to dual-natured beings using their meat-body based skills to attack, but that, too, is just my personal take on it.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (MITS @ 58)
Astral Pool dice can be used for any test made while on the astral plane or metaplanes, except for Magical Skill Tests.  They can be used to Augment Astral Combat Tests (even when Sorcery is used) and Astral Perception Tests.

It seems to me that astral pool dice can be used for astral combat and astral perception. The description never says that adept initiates do not gain the advantages of an astral pool.
Fortune
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
It seems to me that astral pool dice can be used for astral combat and astral perception. The description never says that adept initiates do not gain the advantages of an astral pool.

That was my thinking, but I figured I'd run it past the forumites here to see if everyone (or even anyone) agreed. smile.gif
The White Dwarf
Adepts can indeed use Astral Pool for perception, or combat with an astral entity. They cant just percieve to use it as bonus combat pool against anything, as the target and the subject both need to be present on the astral for the pool to apply.
Fortune
I figured that went without saying, but that was probably a poor assumption. smile.gif
RedmondLarry
I agree with Glyph. I don't allow Astral Pool to be used unless Astrally Projecting.

MitS says it can be used "while on the astral plane". I don't think they would have used these words if they had intended Astral Pool to be used while Astral Perceiving or Dual Natured. I think they intend only for Astral Projection.

Much of the description of Astral Perception talks about affecting astral forms. Much of the description of Astral Projection talks about being on the astral plane. I just don't accept the interpretation most of you describe.
toturi
You are on the Astral plane when you astrally percieve or you would not be targetable by an astral entity. When you are percieving or projecting, you are on both planes at the same time, unless somehow, your body disappears.

The section in the BBB on Astral Perception states that "characters and creatures using astral perception are referred to as dual beings since they operate on the physical and astral planes simultaneously." I think Astral Perception qualifies as "on the astral plane".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012