Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Movement Power
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Hamsnibit
So our runner group had that idea on the last evening to spend a relaxing camping session in the forests of maine.
We decided to travel by levitation boosted with the movement power of our mage while the group consist of rather fragile folks with body 3 or lower my fox shapeshifter with 4 was the most "heavy". RAW says that the movement power of the force 3 ally spirit of our mage only work with half effect since the body value of my fox extends the force.
My problem is : how does the spirit explain the reduction of mevement to the 1,52m tall 43,2kg heavy japanese woman? Not even beginning to speak of her fox form with only 48cm height and 8,4kg?
I have a serious problem imagining the fluff explanation behind this bizarre haooenings.

Anybody got an idea?
Yerameyahu
Don't try. There is no physics, especially with Movement.
The Grue Master
Yeah, just tell your GM do to what is reasonable. I've let people use movement and levitate to do some really improbable stuff without ever asking for rolls/rulings, just because it wasn't directly affecting anything urgent or situational. Want to levitate a park bench over the Atlantic Ocean like a site-seeing vessel? Fine. Want to use movement on your racing bike just so you can travel 1000km? No, you'd fail your vehicle test and crash.

At least now with the new body-max limit, movement isn't completely absurd like it was before.
Johnny B. Good
Generally body = bigger/heavier. You could say denser bones, I guess.

Or just say she travels in fox form, throw up your arms and say, "It's magic, I don't gotta explain drek!"
Rand
Right, its magic, omae.
Matsci
QUOTE (Hamsnibit @ Jul 14 2010, 12:01 PM) *
So our runner group had that idea on the last evening to spend a relaxing camping session in the forests of maine.
We decided to travel by levitation boosted with the movement power of our mage while the group consist of rather fragile folks with body 3 or lower my fox shapeshifter with 4 was the most "heavy". RAW says that the movement power of the force 3 ally spirit of our mage only work with half effect since the body value of my fox extends the force.
My problem is : how does the spirit explain the reduction of mevement to the 1,52m tall 43,2kg heavy japanese woman? Not even beginning to speak of her fox form with only 48cm height and 8,4kg?
I have a serious problem imagining the fluff explanation behind this bizarre haooenings.

Anybody got an idea?

Stats are conserved when shapeshifting. Whil a body of 4, you are a MASSIVE fox. Like the size of a bigass Wolf Fox. You are a 43.2 KG fox, not a 8.4kg fox
Cabral
It was intimidated by the 4 Body and couldn't get into the spirit of moving full tilt... wink.gif

/ducks
Yerameyahu
Except you're *not* a massive (size or weight) fox. You're a normal one. There is no physics, it's all magic.
Matsci
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 14 2010, 01:02 PM) *
Except you're *not* a massive (size or weight) fox. You're a normal one. There is no physics, it's all magic.

QUOTE (Runner's Compainion)
Besides being vastly more intelligent than the other non-Awakened critters of their species, they are
larger and more physically impressive specimens of their native species.

These attribute values apply for both the shapeshifter’s human and metahuman forms.

The average fox has a body of 1. The max a fox shape shifter can have is 5. You are not an ordinary sized fox. You a fox running up against the maximum natural size.
Draco18s
QUOTE (The Grue Master @ Jul 14 2010, 04:15 PM) *
At least now with the new body-max limit, movement isn't completely absurd like it was before.

The limit was really created to stop people using spirits to boost the speed of the getawayvan to "plaid."

But it works equally well at keeping the cybertroll from casually walking down the freeway and having to sidestep the cars to get around them.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 14 2010, 06:26 PM) *
The limit was really created to stop people using spirits to boost the speed of the getawayvan to "plaid."

But it works equally well at keeping the cybertroll from casually walking down the freeway and having to sidestep the cars to get around them.

Which is why I would have preferred a only on the living limitation instead of this. Trolls run faster except when a spirit is involved then they are slower, yippee. For me the problems with movement, were vehicles balance wise(solved to some degree by the ruling but x4 instead of x8 speed is still absurd), and the setting implications on it working on vehicles where flights etc are sped up due to the movement power.(I just did not like the feel of that).

I generally could care less that people ran really fast. But I probably would have put an inherent duration into the power like it works for force combat turns before you have to use another service to make it a bit less silly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012