Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eclipse Phase: A trip to Renewal
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Jimson
“Hey everyone, we have a first timer”, so said some lady the first (and only) time I took the city bus to work.

I have been posting my intentions to try out GMing Eclipse Phase via PbP in the “Eclipse Phase RPG: Scouting for interest!” thread. So here we go.

Players will begin on Phelan’s Recourse (Saturn)

Eclipse Phase p.105
PHELAN’S RECOURSE
Phelan’s Recourse (usually just called "Phelan’s" by inhabitants) is the largest nomadic settlement in the system, with a population estimated around 250,000. Phelan’s is a swarm of some 10,000 small craft and tin can habitat modules that orbits Saturn along a highly elliptical path somewhat inclined to the plane of the ecliptic. The swarm’s orbit is calculated to maximize the number of encounters with near moons and stations, providing a six to eight hour window in which craft can leave the swarm for trade. Phelan’s Recourse passes through the rings once a month, allowing craft to resupply with water and volatiles.

Phelan’s accepts all comers. One could meet just about anyone here, from the government in exile of East Timor to Hasidim from Brooklyn. The core of the swarm is the Stills, a fusion-illuminated grain farm and distillery operated by an allegedly reformed gang of Irish travelers who conned their way off Earth a few weeks before the Fall and escaped to the outer system. The Stills produce Phelan’s Ma, the most sought-after whiskey in the system, and Phelan’s Da, possibly the worst beer ever made. Despite the Phelans’ protestations of legitimacy, the criminal element is heavily represented here. The swarm represents an important link in red and gray market supply chains.

I’m pretty flexible on characters, and as long as its by the normal creation rules I should be ok with it. A brief background/description of the character would be appreciated.

Umm…is there anything else I’m forgetting for the time being?
Combat Mage
I'd really like to have a try at this game.

I will put up a character during the next 2-3 days.

He will very likely have a Fury Morph, stem from a group of isolates and sympathize with the anarchists.
crizh
In progress

Some of this is shamelessly ripped off but apparently from sources that nobody at Posthuman has ever read so I should be safe....

The concept is an Argonaut spacer with a Tetrad mind who specializes in Programming and Nano-fabrication. She's a bit cracked and a wild individualist, she was killed coming from the outer system into Saturn and suffers from memory loss and severe mental alterations that occurred before she left the Kuiper Belt. She is an excellent Psycho-surgeon and dabbles a little in sculpture.

Markov
[ Spoiler ]

Rebel
[ Spoiler ]

Stats
[ Spoiler ]
BlackHat
QUOTE (Jimson @ Jul 14 2010, 04:46 PM) *
Umm…is there anything else I’m forgetting for the time being?

You'll probably want to post the timeframe that you'll be recruiting characters, and how many (I think you said 3-4 in the other thread).
Sixgun_Sage
I've got an ex-soldier turned anarcho-capitalist "security expert" and gunsmith that is fond of Fury Morphs as a sleeve, has a pet smart monkey named Mojo, and talks to his guns.....
Abschalten
My character concept is named "Xen," an Infolife Argonaut: a Muse-turned-fully sentient AI by her previous owner, who mysteriously vanished right after he completed her programming. She is aware that she used to be "just" a hobbled "helper" AI and that she now has free will, but is new to it. She's trying to become more "human," whatever that means now, while searching for the one that gave her her freedom.

Since her former owner was an Argonaut, she took up the cause in his honor, and looks for data and information that she can pass onto the scientific community in order to advance transhuman progress. He was also a member of Firewall, and since she was with him every moment and helped filter his communications, she was aware of his secret. In fact it was in her desperation to find the man that created her that caused her to reach out to Firewall using his old access codes. Since she was privvy to all of the information that he'd had access to, they recruited her as well into their cause.

She's ridiculously good at computer skills, programming, and finding information on the Mesh, but pretty horrid at social skills being as she spent most of her life being a digital helper. She is also very good at Psychosurgery, being that she is aware of what it took to make her into a full ego. She can fire a gun to protect herself but she's not a hardened soldier by any stretch of the imagination. She prefers synthmorphs that have a synthetic mask on them in order to appear human.
BlackHat
The concept I am leaning towards would be a async Gatecrasher ("touched" by something on the other side?), based loosely on the Xenoarcheologist sample character. His psi abilities would manifest as a rewiring of his mind to allow for incredible mathematical and linguistic potential (and some slight telepathy). He would excel at a number of things that are unlikely to come up (like xenolinguistics, and xenobiology, etc), but still sounds like an interesting character to play, and would have some useful skills that could be put to use in a number of other situations. Sheet and bio to come - but like I said, Monday at the earliest.

Grinder
My concept:

I'm going with a re-instantiated guy (born in 1950s black guy who spent his time in Vietnam and law enforcement) who is now a member of the Ultimate faction (hence his synthmorph: a slitheroid with additional arms). During his years as infomoprh after the Fall he got more and more into the idea that human life as we knew it is in-efficient and too short-lived. Yeah. Something along that line. Spent his time in a mercenary unit, equipped with a cheap synth moph, until he had earned enough money to buy his Slitheroid morph.
pragma
Interested in playing a scum async who is, entirely unwillingly, a technical mastermind. Scumborn and scumbred he was entirely interested in living the life of a space hipster to the fullest. Much to his dismay, he discovered that he had a knack for science, mathematics and computation. In spite of his best efforts to quash his talent, it kept expressing itself to the point that he's become suspicious of his own potential.

He makes his living repairing bits and pieces of the scum fleet while actively trying to hide the fact that he can and striving to live the of a starving artist and party animal. The unnatural mental abilities that make his work easier are hidden even more jealously.

Of course, firewall's discovery that he could be a useful member of society gave them tremendous leverage over him. All they'd need to do was tell people he was useful and the party would end forever. He grudgingly attempts to save humanity, but often thinks this all amounts to "polishing brass on the titanic before the buffet tables get flooded."

In short: Scumborn Scum Async Technologist with a Bouncer morph and a lazy streak a mile wide.

Stats to come when I figure out how to make them.
Jimson
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jul 14 2010, 04:23 PM) *
You'll probably want to post the timeframe that you'll be recruiting characters, and how many (I think you said 3-4 in the other thread).

Right! How about 2 weeks from today for character submissions. Then I'll go through them and pick out 3-4 for the game.

So far the concepts are looking good. Haven't had much time to read through them all thoroughly yet. If anyone has any questions for me, feel free to ask.
Jimson
Hi crizh. I'm still learning the rules, but just a few questions about some of your stats.

Stats
[ Spoiler ]

I noticed a few of your skills are all 85 or more. Did these get bumped over the 80 skill limit from your Attribute bonus from your Remade morph? Even with this, are you still allowed to exceed the 80 skill point max stated on p. 136? Also, noticed you had your Programming (w/Expert (Programming)) up to 100. The most you can have in a skill is 99. If you spent the CP for that last point, you now have them back.

As for your additional two morphs, where will those be stored? Just curious. So far, looking good.

Maybe for future character postings, perhaps having the format of the EP Character Sheet (Base, Morph Bonus, Total) for skills might make things a bit easier. For example, Fray 75 + 10 = 85
crizh
Yeah, Morph bonuses apply to skills after you've bought them so you start with Base Aptitude plus background/faction mods and can then buy up to 80. Morph mod's will shift that up or down appropriately.

You're right about the Programming skill it is limited to 99, the spreadsheet doesn't catch that and I wasn't paying attention.

The two Flats have Hibernation so they can be stored easily, I haven't given much thought as to where. I shall get right on with designing my evil base.....
Jimson
Perfect. Thanks!

Also, unless I missed it, I did not see Rebel's three personal motivations. Just something to think about.
horvagab
Would an Octomorph Master Thief by the name of Pazuzu would be out of place? Maybe I'll think of something else, but Octomorph's just reek of Awesome biggrin.gif
Jimson
As long as it's by the rules, I will most likely be ok with it. Octomorph's are in the rules, so party on.
crizh
QUOTE (Jimson @ Jul 15 2010, 07:29 PM) *
Perfect. Thanks!

Also, unless I missed it, I did not see Rebel's three personal motivations. Just something to think about.

I've got Immortality, Open Source and Nano-ecology jotted down somewhere...

I haven't done languages yet either. I've gotten a bit distracted inventing new and cool stunts with Forking....

Elizabeth Charm Mudlark

[ Spoiler ]
Aria
Sadly KxU has put a hold on his EP game...I've sorted a themed background for a couple of concepts which I'll try and narrow to one if you have space...I'm thinking of a Neotenic Hacker, a former AGI who wants to experience what it's like to be 'human'

A
Jimson
crizh, liking the character (and the depth you are putting into her...it is a her, right? Or should I use "they/them"?), but I'm starting to get a little confused. The "base" character is Elizabeth Mudlark, but also has alternate identities as Charm, Rebel, and Markov? Also, your stats look great, but wondering if you were planning on throwing any points in there in case She gets into any combat/stuff-hits-the-fan situations (Fray, for example).

Aria, feel free to put a character together. I plan on picking 3-4 come July 29th. If someone needs a little more time, then it could get pushed out a little. So far, I've only seen concepts, and the one concept w/stats from crizh.

It is sad KxU had something come up. Gotta love real life getting in the way of gaming.
crizh
Markov is a habitat in the Kuiper Belt.

I'm not really sure how to go with the multiple personalities thing. I was just going to feel my way around how you wanted things to develop as GM.

One option is to be running several identical forks that might have different packages of tweaks but are otherwise the same mind.

The other more complex option is to have several completely distinct Egos with their own aptitudes, skills and 'character' that trade control of the Morph depending on which one is best suited to the situation at hand. I could do that by reassigning all the points spent on aptitudes, skills and traits to create a number of alternate Egos. It's a lot of work and it might not be to your taste.

I'm easy either way.

Charm is designed as a kind of thought experiment.
Jimson
I may need to do some more reading up on forks. I'm thinking more along the lines of your first option. Just a suggestion, but maybe take a few points from your higher stats and use them for skills associated with Charm (i.e. Criminal networking, and such...don't have my PDF available right now). When Elizabeth users the Charm fork, those skills come into play more than your your other ones. So one ego, but when she's forked into one of the other morph's, the Chram personality kicks in.
Combat Mage
I'll have to bow out of this one. While the game looks very exciting and I'd love to play I just can't seem to find the time and energy to properly read up on the setting and rules enough to create a good fleshed-out character that does the game justice.

I'll still follow this thread as a spectator. Have fun with it.
Jimson
Thanks for the interest Combat Mage. I'm still learning the system and setting. I have a feeling this will be a learning experience for all. Hopefully as time goes, a few others will be running some EP games.
BlackHat
Back from vacation, and eager to get something together in the next day or two (have to catch up on work most of today, unfortunately).

One question I had was if you had a particular game type or theme in mind (are we working for Firewall, which is the default assumption, etc)?
Jimson
Welcome back from vacation.

Yes, it will be the "default campaign" (p. 22). So...something comes up and you'll be brought in by Firewall. If its ok with people, to make things easier, it will be assumed players will already be aware of firewall and been recruited to be a sentinel. It will save sometime on getting started and players can put points into Firewall Rep and networking.

[EDIT]
As for theme...nothing quite yet is coming to mind, but then again, once the ball starts rolling, lots of ideas start coming to me. I would suggest characters be somewhat able to handle there own combat, either with equipment (armor, weapons) or stats (Fray, combat skills, or high attributes to default in the skill).

I do have a lot of ideas on what to do right now...just not sure how far I want to take it. Guess we'll roll with the punches.
Xahn Borealis
I'm thinking of a Lost nanotechnologist/genehacker. Female in both ego and morph and is actually in favour of the the experiment that created her, to the point of wanting to try again. To this end, she will be in contact with a small network of scientists willing to continue the research. Think the Lunar Ego Hunter with opposite motivations. Stat'ed by tonight.
BlackHat
QUOTE (Jimson @ Jul 19 2010, 11:12 AM) *
I do have a lot of ideas on what to do right now...just not sure how far I want to take it. Guess we'll roll with the punches.

Probably the best way to go. Once you have some characters submitted, their motivations might give you brand new ideas, anyway.
crizh
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Jul 19 2010, 04:23 PM) *
To this end, she will be in contact with a small network of scientists willing to continue the research.

Teeheeheeheehee....

That's insane, I love it, I'm in.

Rebel actually has a skill specialization in Psychosurgery in Accelerated Simulspaces so she would be an ideal collaborator for such a lunatic experiment. With all her missing memories and mental baggage she could easily be the product of such an experiment....
Xahn Borealis
Well, I'm considering either that char, who I've also decided to call Jillian Effect, or some other character who ATM is nothing more than a concept. Namely, a character who was born without a fourth wall. As in, he will have some delusion that reality is actually a role-playing game and that he is just one of the characters. He will insult people by calling them NPCs, and hope that he "succeeds on his shooting roll". biggrin.gif
BlackHat
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Jul 19 2010, 02:08 PM) *
Well, I'm considering either that char, who I've also decided to call Jillian Effect, or some other character who ATM is nothing more than a concept. Namely, a character who was born without a fourth wall. As in, he will have some delusion that reality is actually a role-playing game and that he is just one of the characters. He will insult people by calling them NPCs, and hope that he "succeeds on his shooting roll". biggrin.gif

Having this guy be a heavy user of XP (VR) RPG games, who had some lines crossed (bad narcoalgorithms?) would actually make this concept fit better in Eclipse Phase than most others.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jul 19 2010, 07:22 PM) *
Having this guy be a heavy user of XP (VR) RPG games, who had some lines crossed (bad narcoalgorithms?) would actually make this concept fit better in Eclipse Phase than most others.

I'm thinking Neural Damage from a TITAN nanovirus.
BlackHat
Work-in-progress (particularly the bio), but I thought I would get something out there. Feedback/questions welcome.

Doctor Mathew Esterly - Async Xenoarcheologist

Concept:
[ Spoiler ]

Bio:
[ Spoiler ]

Sheet:
[ Spoiler ]

crizh
Nice.

Doc Esterly sounds like exactly the sort of guy that might need the occasional holiday to the seaside.

A Gatecrashing Asynch is likely to have a career much like a CoC Investigator....

I'm thinking that Rebel's original Titanian home is something that she might well have abandoned after discovering the truth from Firewall. Phelan's Recourse might be an ideal base of operations for the sort of mental paranoid backup plans she's likely to concoct. Particularly with it passing 'through' the Rings on a regular basis.
Jimson
Sounds like you guys are really getting into the setting. Glad to hear all the excitement. But, it also makes me feel bad not everyone will get to play.

crizh, I saw you post on eclipsephase.com's forums. For those who do not get to play in this adventure might be able to find something there.
Sixgun_Sage
Ok, got a character worked up, including background and the like, probably gonna work on the fluff a bit in the intervening time but.... well, I like playing fairly straight forward concepts and then twisting them up during gameplay. I'm not too familar with the coding for the site so I'm just posting it in plain old "wall o' text", so I hope that is ok.
Character Concept: Freelance Operative

Name: Jackson Murphy Morph: Fury

Background: Scumborn Faction: Anarchist

Aptitudes:Cog: 15 Coo: 20 Int: 20 Ref: 20 Sav: 20 Som: 10 Will: 15

Morph: Basic Biomod, Basic Mesh Insert, *Bioweave Armor (Light), Cortical Stack, *Neurachem 2, *Clean Metabolism, *Circadian Regulation, *Reflex Booster, *SkinLink, * Enhanced Senses (Vision, Hearing, Smell, Direction Sense), *Medichines

+10 Coo, +10 Ref, +10 Som, +5 Will. +5 Sav

Lucidity: 40 Insanity: 80 Initiative: 110

Durability: 50 Death Rating: 75 Wound Threshold: 10 Trauma Threshold: 7

Speed: 2/4 Moxie: 2 Cash: 10000

Motivations +Personal Development, +Wealth, +Education

Skills: 30 Academics (Philosophy), 30 Academics (History), (60)50 Freerunning ,(55)50 Persuasion, 40 Deception, (70)60 Seeker Weapons, 80 Hardware (Armorer), (80)50 Kinesics, (85)75 Kinetics, (65)55 Fray, (70)60 Infiltration, 45 Interest (Music), 60 Interest (Conspiracy Theories), 45 Networking: Firewall, 45 Scrounging, 50 Profession (Squad Tactics), 50 Networking: Autonomists, 55 Navigation, 60 Networking: Criminal, (70)50 Perception, (90)80 Unarmed, (95)90 English Language, (65)60 Mandarin Language, (65)60 German Language

Rep Networks:

Circle-A List: 50 Quanxi: 70, Fame: 10, Firewall: 40

Armor: Bioweave 2/3, (4)Armor Clothing 3/4, Armor Vest 6/6 (optional)

Weapon: Damage: AP: Mode: Ammo:

Unarmed 1d10+2 - - -

H. Rail Pistol 2d10+6 -7 SA/BF/FA 16

Smartlink, Safety

Rail Sniper Rifle 2d10+12 -15 SA/BF/FA 40

Smartlink, Safety,

Underbarrel Seeker - - SA 6

Gear: Covert Operations Tool, 20 Microbugs, Disassembly Tools, Backup Insurance (no retrieval service, 2 years, 6 mo), 4 Repair Spray Canisters, Spindle w/ Climber, 100 rounds Accushot R.A.P Rail Sniper Ammo, 300, H. Rail Pistol Ammo, 30 Plasmaburst Seekers(Homing), 18 Smoke Seekers (Accushot), Mini-Farcaster, Ecto, Radio Booster, Psi Jammer

Pet Smart Monkey: Mojo

Muse: Fixit

Positive Qualities:

Negative Qualities: Blackmark (Jovian Republic Military, 20), Enemy (Captain Holtz, Jovian Military Police, 10)

History: From scummy to soldier to red market security specialist and freelance operative, no one would accuse Jackson Murphy of having it easy. His mother died in childbirth, his father was mainly absent due to work and Jack fell in to the gang scene of “Fresh Kills”, the infamous scum barge salvage base before he was a teenager. Quick witted and quick fingered he has made a pretty good go of it though, he can afford the best in custom sleeving, has his stack insured for the next 30 months and keeps himself pretty well connected in terms of information and gear, of course all of that is due to him willing to take the hottest jobs since they offer the best profits. An “Anarchist” with a heart it is conceivable to get him to do charity work, though he’ll rarely offer to do so, he was a SecOp specialist when he found a way into the Jovian Republic military and could have gone far if he had not decided to cash out, taking plenty of tech with him as bargaining chips with the Quanxi. Needless to say his former commanding officer Captain Holtz did not take this well but by the time anyone knew anything the trail was too cold and evidence to scarce to go after the former operative, legally or otherwise. In point of fact the “young” man has even done some work for Firewall, though he is unaware of how much, and it has earned him some access to the iRep network as a provisional Sentinel, though he hasn’t figured out what buttons to push and levers to pull to get everything he wants yet. In terms of personality Jack is bright, somewhat cocky and aggressive but surprisingly loyal once he considers someone “one of his people” and while he has had a fairly poor standard education he has a keen interest in improving upon that.

crizh
Unfortunately I've been met with deafening silence. It's a bit like being cast adrift in inter-stellar space over there.
BlackHat
Yeah, I originally went there to look for Eclipse PBP games, and found nothing. They recently restructured their forums, so now I at least know what section to look in, but I still have not seen any - but I'm sure some will pop up sooner or later, either here, there, or on http://infrno.net/ (although they seem to be more about live/chat games than PBP).
BlackHat
QUOTE (crizh @ Jul 20 2010, 03:50 PM) *
Doc Esterly sounds like exactly the sort of guy that might need the occasional holiday to the seaside.

A Gatecrashing Asynch is likely to have a career much like a CoC Investigator....

Yeah, exactly, although that could be said of anyone who works for Firewall. I was REALLY hoping to squeeze in the chi-slight that lets you heal off mental stress faster (there were a lot of chi-slights I wanted, but can only take five at chargen) - but at least the gamma-slights he took (the ones that cause stress) will rarely, if ever, come into play. smile.gif

Jimson
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jul 20 2010, 03:06 PM) *
but at least the gamma-slights he took (the ones that cause stress) will rarely, if ever, come into play. smile.gif

Ha! Not sure I believe that. : ) I do like the character and the detail you are putting into him. When looking through the sample characters, I really liked the Gatecrasher. Kind of makes me wish that book (Gatecrashing) was coming out before Sunward. I think the first character I tried making was part gatecrasher/part Joshua Calvert (Night's Dawn trilogy).

@crizh, Don't remember when, but I put a post on the board a few/several months back about any PbP, but nothing really came out of it. I was pointed to firewall-darkcast.com, and tried to get in on two PbP there, but they didn't take off. I do like how they restructured the forums. I'll drop a line there and see if we can generate more interest. Also, now that i know you guys are out there, I better be careful what I post, just in case I have any questions for what I'm running here.

@Sixgun_Sage, The character looks good. As with me, most of my character develop as I play them, so don't feel bad you don't have every detail fleshed out. Have a few questions:
1. Does you aptitudes include your bonus from your morph?
2. Noticed you had Kinetics listed twice ( (80)50 Kinesics, (85)75 Kinetics). I'm assuming the second one is Kinetic Weapons.
3. Also, what is the number in parentheses? I'm assuming its the bonus from your morph, but the 30 point bonus for Kinesics didn't make sense ((80)50 Kinesics).
BlackHat
QUOTE (Jimson @ Jul 20 2010, 05:26 PM) *
Ha! Not sure I believe that. : )

Well, I suppose you're the one in control of how often they might come up. biggrin.gif

FYI, I picked most of them with the idea in mind that they would let him communicate with non-transhuman creatures (smart-pets, whatever non-sentient aliens transhumanity has managed to find, etc) using implant skill (English, but he can only keep it up for a few seconds) and mindlink , or just getting at specific information via deepscan, or finding alien "specimens" on other planets with ego scan. Not sure I have a good alien-contacting use for subliminal, but that would let him put thoughts as well as read them, which seemed fitting, and I didn't really see any other gamma-slights that fit better.

He could obviously find a lot of non-alien-oriented reasons to use them (interrogating a bad guy with deep-scan, helping another firewall agent with implant-skill, etc), which is probably a lot of what he would *actually* do for Firewall - but at ~6 stress points per use, he won't be doing it a lot, when he can help it.
BlackHat
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jul 20 2010, 06:24 PM) *
...communicate with non-transhuman creatures (smart-pets, ...

Speaking of which, I had meant to look at getting a smart-dog or smart-monkey or something. I don't imagine it would ever have much interesting to share, but its a neat idea (and a smart dog would make a pretty good guardian, as well).

I'll probably be making some changes to the sheet, but if/when I repost it, I'll summarize the differences there.
Jimson
Ha...learning something new everyday. I haven't read up on smart-pets yet. Back to the book I go. smile.gif

Just curious, how are most of you generating your characters? Scratch papaer, Excel, character generator (Excel based or other kind), etc.? I have been using Tony Lee's sheet (http://www.eclipsephase.com/resources#homebrew).
Abschalten
I have my charsheet made up in the Excel spreadsheet I got from the EP site. I just haven't moved the information over to a text file yet. Been... kinda busy.
BlackHat
QUOTE (Jimson @ Jul 20 2010, 09:31 PM) *
Just curious, how are most of you generating your characters? Scratch papaer, Excel, character generator (Excel based or other kind), etc.? I have been using Tony Lee's sheet (http://www.eclipsephase.com/resources#homebrew).

I just made a google-doc a while ago that I use as a template - nothing fancy, basically scratch paper.
pragma
Not sure this is the finished product, but I too wanted to get something out there.

Didn't want to convert the spreadsheet to DSF format, so here's the link to the google doc with all the crunchy numbers stuff.

I'm not entirely happy with the set of skills and I think there may be some traits or skills that I could grab to round out the background better, but this is a tolerably complete first draft. Also, I'm afraid that I, mechanically, step on many of Blackhat's toes with the async aspect of the character. However, the two are worlds apart in personality, so that should mitigate the similarity somewhat.

Jonah Queequod

Concept:
[ Spoiler ]

Bio:
[ Spoiler ]
BlackHat
QUOTE (Jimson @ Jul 20 2010, 09:31 PM) *
Ha...learning something new everyday. I haven't read up on smart-pets yet. Back to the book I go. smile.gif

Not much there, but you'll find them on pg 330.
BlackHat
QUOTE (pragma @ Jul 21 2010, 05:05 AM) *
Also, I'm afraid that I, mechanically, step on many of Blackhat's toes with the async aspect of the character. However, the two are worlds apart in personality, so that should mitigate the similarity somewhat.

Other than being an async, I don't think there's much overlap at all (even the slights are mostly different). Also, Firewall seems likely to work with more asyncs than other factions, so the fact that they're supposed to be like < 0.001% of the population isn't all that relevant.

I like what you did with the character, too. It's a bit pricy (High, per dose), but it might be interesting if a character like that had some psi-inhibitor's around. Can't think of when it'd ever be in your best interest to take the drug, but for a character who is trying to hide or suppress his psi-talents, that seems like a reasonable thing to reach out for - even if he finds that it doesn't work, and just makes him feel loopy and depressed (maybe he already did, and you can save yourself the 5-grand).
crizh
I've edited my first post to tweak my skills a little. Suddenly realized that Language is a knowledge skill so I've reduced some of my knowledge skills to better reflect someone with the Hyper Linguist trait.

Now, back to Ego Braiding....
Sixgun_Sage
QUOTE (Jimson @ Jul 20 2010, 05:26 PM) *
1. Does you aptitudes include your bonus from your morph?
2. Noticed you had Kinetics listed twice ( (80)50 Kinesics, (85)75 Kinetics). I'm assuming the second one is Kinetic Weapons.
3. Also, what is the number in parentheses? I'm assuming its the bonus from your morph, but the 30 point bonus for Kinesics didn't make sense ((80)50 Kinesics).

1: I list the bonuses my morph gives me seperately from my ego's aptitudes as the book dictates, as you can see I did spend more than a few points on making the character rather solidly above average at base.
2: You are right, Kinetics is in regards to Kinetic Weapons
3: The reason the secondary number for Kinesics is so high is because of enhanced senses actually, Smell gives a +20 to Kinesics in addition to the increase in smell based perception tests. I figured for a troubleshooter that often works in security being able to pick up on the chemical byproducts of fear or stress people give off would be a sensible choice.

I did have a question about smart pets and muses, I was thinking of making Jack's muse a bit of a hybrid, not a true Security AGI, but with beefed up protocols than is standard, is this allowed and if so how do you want me to handle that? Also, was wondering if I could get my smart monkey pet skillwired....
Sixgun_Sage
Just have to say it, but I hope you go with the more... Deadpool-ish character concept with no "4th wall" Xahn, it would be fun to play Jack as the "straight man" to that sort of crazy.
pragma
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jul 21 2010, 08:17 AM) *
Other than being an async, I don't think there's much overlap at all (even the slights are mostly different). Also, Firewall seems likely to work with more asyncs than other factions, so the fact that they're supposed to be like < 0.001% of the population isn't all that relevant.

I like what you did with the character, too. It's a bit pricy (High, per dose), but it might be interesting if a character like that had some psi-inhibitor's around. Can't think of when it'd ever be in your best interest to take the drug, but for a character who is trying to hide or suppress his psi-talents, that seems like a reasonable thing to reach out for - even if he finds that it doesn't work, and just makes him feel loopy and depressed (maybe he already did, and you can save yourself the 5-grand).

I was just concerned that we overlap on Grok, Savant Calculation and Enhanced Creativity -- three out of five seemed a bit worrisome. However, given that I prefer Jonah to be a failing artist to a successful one, ditching enhanced creativity might make sense. I'm also intensely interested in the filter and predictive boost sleights and may switch those in to increase differentiation. (I'm hoping that all of the sleights, taken together, build a picture of a startling and intuitive grasp of the how things work. Predictive boost and savant calculation serve the same role in that way.) Also, taking both savant calculation and math wiz struck me as a bit heavy handed.

Any rate, the key point is that the character is a work in progress and that your input is entirely welcome.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012