Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drug Addictions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Grue Master
I know that SR4A states you can't take the 'Addiction' negative quality for things like caffeine, nicotine and sugar. Betel can never have an addiction greater than mild. Can you have an alcohol addiction (I'm obviously not talking about real life here)? What about some of the fluffier drugs, like Push or Deep Weed? I only ask because I'm trying to make a character with an addiction to Snuff, just wondering if it merits the quality or if I should just roleplay it.
D2F
QUOTE (The Grue Master @ Jul 15 2010, 09:12 AM) *
I know that SR4A states you can't take the 'Addiction' negative quality for things like caffeine, nicotine and sugar. Betel can never have an addiction greater than mild. Can you have an alcohol addiction (I'm obviously not talking about real life here)? What about some of the fluffier drugs, like Push or Deep Weed? I only ask because I'm trying to make a character with an addiction to Snuff, just wondering if it merits the quality or if I should just roleplay it.

I allow alcohol addiction in my game. Properly played, alcohol addiction is evil. The social and health consequences are drastic to say the least and the withdrawal can kill you. Also, the long term kognitive effects, like potential Korsakoff-Syndrome or long term cardial degradation are a bitch.
Add to that the shame that comes with the addiction (expressed in trying to hide the alcohol from others and flat out denying the problem) as well as the growing hostility and paranoia and alcohl addiction is a definitve drawback for the character.

As a rule of thumb, I would allow any addiction in the game that has actual disadvantages for the character.
Yerameyahu
Certainly alcohol. Most other drugs are also fine, especially if they significant effects, side-effects, and/or costs.
Elfenlied
While we're at it: are there any actual rules for alcohol or cocaine in SR4A? As it is, our dwarf sam shoots worse when sober, due to the hefty dicepool modifier of his severe alcohol addiction.
Yerameyahu
There are alcohol- and cocaine-based drugs with stats. You could quickly houserule in stats, but AFAIK they're not in the game.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 15 2010, 08:03 AM) *
While we're at it: are there any actual rules for alcohol or cocaine in SR4A? As it is, our dwarf sam shoots worse when sober, due to the hefty dicepool modifier of his severe alcohol addiction.

If you'd ever seen an alcoholic who hadn't had a drink in a few days, you'd get why that would be the case. Not exactly a steady hand.

-DrZaius
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 15 2010, 02:18 PM) *
There are alcohol- and cocaine-based drugs with stats. You could quickly houserule in stats, but AFAIK they're not in the game.

Closest would be Novacoke, which should be in Arsenal if it isn't in the SR4 core.
Dr.Rockso
Wordman created a pretty comprehensive list of plants and drugs one could use. It's not 4th ed and definitely not RAW, but have a look. Some cool stuff in here:

Plants and Drugs
Yerameyahu
Right, novacoke is the cocaine-based, and there's that Troll beer for alcohol. Obviously, it's strong, tainted alcohol, but still. smile.gif
Dr.Rockso
Hurlg: Strong enough for a dwarf; made for a troll.
kanislatrans
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jul 15 2010, 09:23 AM) *
If you'd ever seen an alcoholic who hadn't had a drink in a few days, you'd get why that would be the case. Not exactly a steady hand.

-DrZaius

Been there,done that, bought the t-shirt.*grin*

I allow alcohol addiction, as well as nicotine. ect. I even allowed a dwarf with an ork pron addiction...a junkie is a junkie no matter what the Drug of choice is....
Minchandre
Isn't snuff nicotine? I guess treat it however you would cigarettes.
Yerameyahu
Snuff in the game is handy, too.

There are rules in the splatbooks for non-substance addictions, yeah. Matrix, etc.
CanRay
Simsense is addictive as well. It's why it's peddled as the new "Opium of the Masses", and why there's "Government Simsense" in the ACHE, which I bet are closer to "California Hots" than would be suggested...

BTL is another addiction, but that uses the body's own self-made "Drugs".

I also house-ruled that all Technomancers suffer from "Matrix Addiction". It's so much a part of them to begin with...
The Grue Master
QUOTE (Minchandre @ Jul 15 2010, 10:56 PM) *
Isn't snuff nicotine? I guess treat it however you would cigarettes.

SR4 snuff is a combination of Nicotine, THC and Aspirin. So it's a bit stronger than a nicotine addiction.
CanRay
Oooooooooooooooo! Speaking of "Snuff", "Black BTLs" are also a nasty addiction!
Minchandre
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 15 2010, 08:18 PM) *
Oooooooooooooooo! Speaking of "Snuff", "Black BTLs" are also a nasty addiction!

I tried to run a character addicted to snuff BTLs. The GM didn't allow it - said it was too dark. grinbig.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Minchandre @ Jul 15 2010, 10:40 PM) *
I tried to run a character addicted to snuff BTLs. The GM didn't allow it - said it was too dark. grinbig.gif

Bah, we all know the dark only comes at the end of the chip. nyahnyah.gif
Yerameyahu
Why would it matter what's on them? "I stop shooting to slot a BTL." "Okay, you experience the BTL." "Done."
Minchandre
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 15 2010, 09:56 PM) *
Bah, we all know the dark only comes at the end of the chip. nyahnyah.gif

Not BTLs that killed the viewer at the end, BTLs of people dying. I don't think that'll necessarily kill the viewer - as long as they have a strong heart.
Yerameyahu
Do you remember this weird movie in the 80s or 90s about recording experiences? Some woman researcher recorded her death, and people who played it back wanted to follow?
CanRay
I was refering to the end of the BTL when I said the "Dark". And Black BTLs (Snuff BTLs) can kill a person who slots them, can being the operative word. They're for the most jaded of junkies, the ones that are already burned out and are on their way to the end anyhow.

Like the Alcoholic that's already lost the use of his liver, and is still drinking himself to death...
nemafow
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 16 2010, 02:29 PM) *
Do you remember this weird movie in the 80s or 90s about recording experiences? Some woman researcher recorded her death, and people who played it back wanted to follow?

Haha, funny I just re-watched that movie about a fortnight ago. Trying to think what its called... Strange Days!
Yerameyahu
Nope, but that's similar. Hmm. smile.gif
PatB
A player took Alcohol Addiction. On the role-playing side, he was always passing his free nights in clubs (and if the run was over early enough, he would celebrate in clubs). I raised his lifestyle by 10% to 'pay' the booze. In very stressful moments, I would asked to make an addiction test to determine if he 'needed a drink'.

When he made his first Astral Quest (he's a mage), the five aspects of his tradition forced him to face aspects of himself. Combat was about facing his poison. After this quest, he realized he had to get rid of his addiction (he paid the karma). Good for him ... no more addiction tests.

Several game sessions later, and to make a long story short, he wanted to start a party in a local brew and started drinking so that everyone would follow. With GM's warning, he failed his addiction test (play with fire and you'll get burned!!!). He ended up with a Geas where everytime he would sip alcohol, he would lose 1 Magic for 1 month, and that's cumulative (the long story includes role-playing, relationship with spirit and qualities, astral quests, runs, etc).
Yerameyahu
That's a good lesson about why you should only take addiction to Betel gum, and only use drugs that actually give bonuses. smile.gif
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (PatB @ Jul 16 2010, 08:19 AM) *
A player took Alcohol Addiction. On the role-playing side, he was always passing his free nights in clubs (and if the run was over early enough, he would celebrate in clubs). I raised his lifestyle by 10% to 'pay' the booze. In very stressful moments, I would asked to make an addiction test to determine if he 'needed a drink'.

When he made his first Astral Quest (he's a mage), the five aspects of his tradition forced him to face aspects of himself. Combat was about facing his poison. After this quest, he realized he had to get rid of his addiction (he paid the karma). Good for him ... no more addiction tests.

Several game sessions later, and to make a long story short, he wanted to start a party in a local brew and started drinking so that everyone would follow. With GM's warning, he failed his addiction test (play with fire and you'll get burned!!!). He ended up with a Geas where everytime he would sip alcohol, he would lose 1 Magic for 1 month, and that's cumulative (the long story includes role-playing, relationship with spirit and qualities, astral quests, runs, etc).

...Now I want make a tradition based around liquor silly.gif I blame you. Gives a whole new meaning to summoning up spirits

Badmoodguy88
Can someone become addicted to creature comforts? I have this idea that a possession spirit could grow to look forward to possession a living vessel and indulging. By them selves in astral space or in an un living homunculus they can not feel the comfort of a sofa, luxuriate in a hot tub, or eat a well made meal. It would sort of be like a Better Than Life chip but the experience would just be life, but more real than they normally get. Back in their home metaplane they are solid and have bodies wile they are there but I could see it not being the same. Probably there is a lack of hot tubs.

Wile on a mission, possessing some wage slave, I could see them needing to roll to pass up taking a bite to eat or the offer of some other luxury. The spirits would also need to roll to stay in astral for extended periods, where they can't feel things in the same way they do in a body. The spirit would also probably spend a lot on comforts and entertainment.

Would this addiction be appropriate? I think compulsion might fit. In the same way someone can be a compulsive eater or compulsive shopper. But from what I have read compulsive hording and compulsive shopping are both closer to addictions than compulsions.
D2F
QUOTE (Badmoodguy88 @ Jul 16 2010, 10:33 PM) *
Can someone become addicted to creature comforts? I have this idea that a possession spirit could grow to look forward to possession a living vessel and indulging. By them selves in astral space or in an un living homunculus they can not feel the comfort of a sofa, luxuriate in a hot tub, or eat a well made meal. It would sort of be like a Better Than Life chip but the experience would just be life, but more real than they normally get. Back in their home metaplane they are solid and have bodies wile they are there but I could see it not being the same. Probably there is a lack of hot tubs.

Wile on a mission, possessing some wage slave, I could see them needing to roll to pass up taking a bite to eat or the offer of some other luxury. The spirits would also need to roll to stay in astral for extended periods, where they can't feel things in the same way they do in a body. The spirit would also probably spend a lot on comforts and entertainment.

Would this addiction be appropriate? I think compulsion might fit. In the same way someone can be a compulsive eater or compulsive shopper. But from what I have read compulsive hording and compulsive shopping are both closer to addictions than compulsions.

An addiction always carries a physical dependancy, even the mental addictions. An addiction impairs the regular functionality of the body as it develops a further dependancy on additional Transmitters or increased doses of existing Transmitters.

A compulsion on the other hand is a purely cognitive impairment. We all are prone to compulsion, albeit not pathological ones. myself, I keep checking my pockets for my keys each time I leave my home, just because I managed to forget them a lot when I was young. That's already a compulsory action, but it's not pathological in nature. The "Compulsion" Quality in RC refers to a pathological compulsion which is characterized by a moderate to strong affect on the patient's quality of life. Excemples would be the Business man that can't leave his house in the morning without checking whether the stove is off. Not once, but several times, each time going through the same exact motions (Look at the stove, check settings, check the stove for heat, turn the stove on and off again, to make sure that the settings are displaying correctly. Repeat 5 times). A pathological compulsion is a pretty serious thing and other than addiction can not be "cured" through withdrawal. Compulsion needs therapy.
Saint Sithney
Seems like everyone here is forgetting that addiction comes in grades.

Remember, it's a journey to the bottom of the gutter.
CanRay
Sometimes a very quick journey, when you start there...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012