Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lovecraft-based plots for Shadowrun?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dvalin
Hey folks-

While reading the Target: Wastelands bit on the Antarctic, I was rather stricken by the mention of a 'city under the ice,' which was evidently radar images of geometric patterns. This reminded me a lot of Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness, where an Old One (or some such) city is discovered by a pair of Antarctic explorers. I've had an urge, ever since, to do Lovecraft tie-ins.

That said -- have you guys ever had similar urges? If so, have you ever followed through with them? How successful were these plots, and what sources did you draw from?
Dogsoup
I've some plans laid out for converting the Hellboy comic "Conqueror Worm" into a run where Aztechnology is investigating a forgotten space program conducted by South American nazi fugitives.
In the finale the azzies manage to bring down the long lost capsule, but something has latched on to it as the vessel has been floating around in the cold, dead void for over a century...
Centurion
I think it would be as simple a matter as replacing the horrors with elder gods. The Azzie blood magic, etc, all would seem to tie into Lovecraftian cultist mythos. The Lovecraft story about the gang of cultists being shot up in the Louisiana swamp land could be converted into a plotline of the Azzies are trying to stir up trouble in CAS territory (or possibly found another focus like the one in south Texas, only this is something rather big and nasty instead) covertly through something that's even nastier than blood spirits. The CAS police agency/gov't who broke up the cultists wants someone to look into the Wierd Wierd Shit™ and needs some freelancers skilled in paranormal stuff to investigate.
Ancient History
Darke and his servitors make great Lovecraftian villians, as do insect spirits (in the original exposure of insect spirits, you start slowly discovering bits and pieces about them...until the final chapter when you have to wade through the hive, an a massive hack'n'slash gore-splattered nightmare until you find the queen...)
Nikoli
I suggest that if you can get your hands on it, read A Prince among men and A knight among knaves, written by Robert N. Charrette. He's also a writer for the old FASA books but under a different name, covered that very topic nicely.
Ancient History
Nikoli: WHat do you mean? Robert N. Charrette wrote SR under his own name, unless he was secretly NYX Smith, the only SR author with substantial Lovecraftian references in the game (We shall not count the Shoggoth program, nor the Al Azif reference by Steve Kenson).
Nikoli
Well, I coulda swore he used a pseudonym. Point is, they make references similair to what you are talking about. the time frame is during the awakening but before goblinization has occured. it's pretty cool.
Seidaku
I'm currently involved in a campaign where the runners are working for "Delta Green." smile.gif
Panzergeist
Hell yes! A Lovecraft-inspired campaign would be great. The horrors are quite similar to Lovecraft's tales of ancient evils returning to Earth.
Nikoli
Honestly I've been reading a lot of HP lately and I'm just not scared. Probably because I've been watching horror flicks my whole life. My mom loves them and let me watch with her when I was young.
mfb
well, the thing about lovecraft is, he invented a lot of what are now the staples of horror fiction. his stuff doesn't seem scary because you've seen a lot of it before--but the reason you've seen it before is that he invented it (or, at least, made it popular).

edit: crap, they took down the online Lovecraft library.
Siege
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Honestly I've been reading a lot of HP lately and I'm just not scared. Probably because I've been watching horror flicks my whole life. My mom loves them and let me watch with her when I was young.

It's all about atmosphere.

Now granted, you might be one of the rare souls who are immune to being stranded in a house, alone in the woods during a storm and nothing to do but read horror books by candlelight.

Simple atmosphere trick: make all your dice rolls behind a screen so only your GM knows how well you did. Function on descriptions alone and vague explanations.

Hell, do that with demolitions rolls alone -- it'll be that much scarier.

Now, if you can convey that atmosphere with a good horror scenario...grinbig.gif

-Siege
Panzergeist
I'm not scared by a simple book either, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it.
Siege
QUOTE (Panzergeist)
I'm not scared by a simple book either, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it.

True -- election year campaign ads are often scarier than Lovecraft's Deep Ones.

But not nearly as entertaining.

-Siege
ShadowPhoenix
Sounds like an idea to stuff into my scrapbook of ideas, I've played the actual CoC, loved the game and the system, I think I'll have to bring my friend back into my SR games with this one nyahnyah.gif
Nikoli
Mmm, Call of Cthulu...

ShadowPhoenix
Nyarlehotep!, R'leyh! I played CoC as a big Black Man named Shaft, wore silk suits and carried a handcannon and an Elephant gun. He walked up a mountain in a snow storm in that suit, and succeeded @ his fortitude all 3 times the GM asked for it nyahnyah.gif it was so cool, I'd like to use the CoC stuff in Shadowrun. I can just see shadowrunners deal with a dimensional shambler >: ) Which reminds me, I miss Quake I frown.gif
Kagetenshi
*Hits Shadowphoenix with a lightning bolt, then smashes him into the ground*

~J
ShadowPhoenix
ahhh, memorys nyahnyah.gif
Lantzer
Hmm, My last CoC character was was modeled after *me*, and was killed by a lamp, then proceeded (as an unquiet spirit with very minor abilites to project halucinations) to help in the the destruction of most of the midwest.

Oddly enough, what doomed the Midwest was the fact that I knew 2 of the party liked Sandman and Hellraiser comics. Hmmm....
ShadowPhoenix
my buddy was a hellraiser fan. I remember playing a mission in CoC against a vampire, I was a cult of Bast cultist, and my buddy was a Delta Force commando. I knew the run was fragged, when my buddy said "I look the Vampire right in the face as I pull out dual Assualt rifles on him" he rolls attack, barely does any damage to the vampire, get's compelled, my character notices the change in demeanor, and decides to take a shotgun to one of my buddies hands. Blowing his hand to pieces woke him from his control, and we got out of there, just in time for the vamp to cast summon Dimensional Shambler without the Bind frown.gif in a pop of Ozone, the Shambler and the Vampire, were no more. My buddy later tried to sue my character, too bad my credit rating was higher nyahnyah.gif. All this talk of CoC definitely makes me want to do some write ups, it may even work in my ganger campaign. How many dark nasties might roam in the Shadows of the Barrens, They'll be looking for a new HQ, I think we might have to make their HQ "haunted" vegm.gif
Panzergeist
"Okay, stop battling the dragons, the old ones are coming. No, not the blood spirits, the old ones who used to rule the world. No, not the horrors, the even older ones who conquered earth after the horrors conquered it. No, not the aliens who put the stuff on Mars that the government covered up, those aliens were also conquered by the old ones. The old ones are beyond human, or dragon, or horror, or spirit comprehension. You know what, hell with it, earth is screwed. Maybe the old ones will have tougher environmental policies."
Swansonegger
QUOTE (mfb)
edit: crap, they took down the online Lovecraft library.

The one with the electronic reading voice?

At the Mountains of Madness was creepy, but so was this modern adaptation of the Horrible Old Man I saw on Bravo one afternoon.
Glyph
I don't know if I'd attempt mixing CoC in with Shadowrun. I don't think I'd ever be able to top this. biggrin.gif
Panzergeist
Dear God.
Ghostly Enigma
LOL OMG that was Funny as hell LOL dame I have tears comeing out of my eyes from my laughing lol rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
Quix
I love it. I'm going to steal this for my SR group. I wonder if the gun bunny will try to give Cthulu a lead enema? love.gif
ShadowPhoenix
I might have to add that to a list of possible encounters in my D&D campaign, that is definitely scary enough to be a good use of Cthulhu mythos nyahnyah.gif that's for sure
Kagetenshi
.........*twitch* *gibber* *sanity loss*

~J
JongWK
rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

The guy should get a medal for writing that.

notworthy.gif notworthy.gif
Hot Wheels
Last year we did a run like that. The GM treated it more liek "Call of Cthulhu" in that we stumbled onto a group of whacked out followers of a toxic shaman and we went down the rabit hole from there.

It worked because he didn't put the runs all together but spread them out at first among other works: Toxic wackos,arson, data grabs, a hijack, toxic wackos,data grab, bodyguard work, intimidation, toxic wackos- hey anyone notice a trend? by that time we were pretty much in too deep and those who'd read Lovecraft were getting badly spooked.
Harlequin565
I've done that with my group once before based on the Walker In The Wastes CoC supplement from Pagan Publishing.

A most interesting romp into the frozen wastes of the North Pole to the Temple Of The Winds. Nothing like a quick visit from Ithaqua to put those pesky runners in their place rotate.gif

I think I split it into three sessions separated by increasing bad weather in Seattle and some unrelated milk runs to build the atmosphere.

Session 1 was a P&E to get the archaeologist. Session 2 was to steal some stone tablets (they formed the spell Dismiss Ithaqua, if memory serves me) and the final run was to the North Pole with the runners still in the dark about what the frag was going on.

I'd run Walkers about 6 months prior to that as a CoC campaign, so for the players it was an interesting jaunt back through history. (especially when the shadowrun characters unearthed the still frozen corpses of their previos CoC incarnations...)
Siege
You know you're too powerful when you every sentence with "Hastur"...and he's too afraid to show up.

-Siege
Hot Wheels
QUOTE (Glyph)
I don't know if I'd attempt mixing CoC in with Shadowrun. I don't think I'd ever be able to top this. biggrin.gif

top it, or bottom? rotfl.gif
God that was great. just the visual.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012