Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Colbert invents first cyberdeck
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Laodicea
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/07/eff-l...-colbert-report

The cyberdeck portion starts around 5:14.
Nifft
QUOTE (Laodicea @ Jul 16 2010, 03:23 PM) *
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/07/eff-l...-colbert-report

The cyberdeck portion starts around 5:14.

I wouldn't be surprised if he knew decking from Shadowrun.

He is the guy who said: "I've never played poker, but if it's anything like Dungeons and Dragons, I'll be up to my baldric in +1 Scimitars before you can say 'Cure Light Wounds'."
Draco18s
I don't know why, but somehow Colbert is less funny than I remember. Maybe because he was (more or less) insulting an organization that I approve of with stupid questions ("So you don't approve of the second amendment?").

His deck was interesting though.
tagz
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 16 2010, 11:15 PM) *
I don't know why, but somehow Colbert is less funny than I remember. Maybe because he was (more or less) insulting an organization that I approve of with stupid questions ("So you don't approve of the second amendment?").

His deck was interesting though.

Get out of my head.
Draco18s
QUOTE (tagz @ Jul 16 2010, 05:16 PM) *
Get out of my head.

I'm not sure how to take that....
tagz
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 16 2010, 11:16 PM) *
I'm not sure how to take that....

Depends on if you think the two of us thinking on the same wavelength is a complement or an insult. rotate.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (tagz @ Jul 16 2010, 05:18 PM) *
the two of us thinking on the same wavelength

I wasn't sure if that is what you meant or not.
Saint Sithney
I thought you were trying to hack his bionode...
tagz
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Jul 16 2010, 11:21 PM) *
I thought you were trying to hack his bionode...

Not on the first date. rotfl.gif
Yerameyahu
Asking (satirically) stupid questions is kind of his thing. Like, his whole show? That's the funny.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 16 2010, 07:01 PM) *
Asking (satirically) stupid questions is kind of his thing. Like, his whole show? That's the funny.

Asking the same one four times gets old really, really fast.
nezumi
From what I can tell, Colbert really is pretty liberal. I'm honestly not sure about his position on the second amendment, but I'm pretty sure he supports 'reasonable regulation'. I do enjoy that he picks on just about everyone (usually) equally. That particular interview didn't bother me, but towards the end of the Bush term it started getting very old, since it was almost constant Republican-bashing.

(But he is definitely a geek.)
Yerameyahu
It's a parody of Fox News. Again, that's *the point*.
Draco18s
I understand the Colbert Report (*deliberately pronounces the T*). I just didn't find that segment funny.
Laodicea
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 16 2010, 07:27 PM) *

At least someone gets it.

Anyway, the point was the cyberdeck bit. Which was funny.
Badmoodguy88
I think cyberdecks are part of pop culture more because of movies, books, and video games. But he does have a staff of writers. When they got the idea of 'lets to some internet cyber space thing' one of them might have borrowed from shadowrun, but cyberdecks are purity solidly a fixture of all cyberpunk.
biccat
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 17 2010, 12:27 AM) *

It's not a parody of Fox News, it's a parody of the liberal perception of Fox News.
tagz

It's not a parody of Fox News, it's a parody of the liberal perception of Fox News.

Ugh, lets not get political on DS. There's already enough bickering between people who won't change opinions on just the rules of SR, no reason to bring RL politics in.
SkepticInc
It's obvious why Stephen Colbert knows about the Cyberdeck. Stephen Colbert is Tek Jansen's cover personality.
Yerameyahu
You could argue that it's a liberal parody of Fox News, which in no way makes my original statement untrue. All parodies have a perspective.
RedFish
He's really just bringing awareness to the organization. It would be against the concept of the show if he wasn't poking fun at it at the same time though. Also very impressed by the lady he's interviewing. Hey look! Beercat!
Xahn Borealis
I got "Sorry, Videos are not available in your country."

What am I missing?
BookWyrm
You aren't missing anything, Xahn. Trust me.
Link
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Jul 17 2010, 07:45 PM) *
I got "Sorry, Videos are not available in your country."

What am I missing?

Video works in the Antipodes, maybe it's blocked in retaliation for the oil leak.

Colbert and Vin Diesel play[ed] D&D, does SR have any celebrity players?
Daylen
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 17 2010, 12:57 AM) *
I understand the Colbert Report (*deliberately pronounces the T*). I just didn't find that segment funny.

you must then be an evil, fat, old, white republican.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Daylen @ Jul 18 2010, 10:15 AM) *

No, I'm a young, skinny, white democrat.
Nifft
QUOTE (Daylen @ Jul 18 2010, 11:15 AM) *

That's unfair.

Not all Republicans are fat.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Nifft @ Jul 18 2010, 12:33 PM) *
That's unfair.

Not all Republicans are fat.

And not all of them are old or white.
Yerameyahu
Mostly, though. smile.gif
Xahn Borealis
Well, I'm British. So there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012