Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shooten Wild Turkeys
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Daylen
Or other booze really.

Anyone else get into their char enough to have the char pay good nuyen for whiskey? either just on a successful run or even as a drunken character flaw.
Traul
It's not about getting into char: those kinds of expenses are supposed to be handled by lifestyle. Do my characters drink? Sometimes. Do I pay for it? I buy in bulk, once per month.
Daylen
putting that in lifestyle costs is ok. But I'm more curious if anyone pays extra, after the normal lifestyle cost. I know I generally will pay extra for drink if I'm going to build character with it.

and buying in bulk is hardcore.
Hagga
QUOTE (Daylen @ Jul 17 2010, 12:52 AM) *
putting that in lifestyle costs is ok. But I'm more curious if anyone pays extra, after the normal lifestyle cost. I know I generally will pay extra for drink if I'm going to build character with it.

and buying in bulk is hardcore.

There are probably legions of disaffected wage slaves in the sixth world who purchase their alcohol in pallets rather than bottles.
Belvidere
I had a face character who dropped a couple thousand nuyen on a Veuve Clicquot Rare Vintage 1887 bottle of wine at an auction. But that was just to get in good with the people he was about to robe. grinbig.gif
Squiddy Attack
Alcohol? No, but I'd do it if I had such a character. My current character will pay extra nuyen for a good cup of coffee, but she's the sort of person who would have a Severe Addiction (Caffeine) if it was possible.
Belvidere
I honestly don't see why one can't have a character can;t have Addiction (Caffeine), especially if you can have Addiction(Alcohol). As an avid coffee and soda drinker I know the terribleness that is caffeine withdrawals. It's nowhere near as bad as cocaine withdrawals I'd sure. But at the same time caffeine doesn't give in game bonuses like most drugs. A caffeine withdrawal headache would be enough for a negative dice pool modifier in my opinion.

Sorry... rant done. grinbig.gif
Squiddy Attack
QUOTE (Belvidere @ Jul 16 2010, 08:39 PM) *
I honestly don't see why one can't have a character can;t have Addiction (Caffeine), especially if you can have Addiction(Alcohol). As an avid coffee and soda drinker I know the terribleness that is caffeine withdrawals. It's nowhere near as bad as cocaine withdrawals I'd sure. But at the same time caffeine doesn't give in game bonuses like most drugs. A caffeine withdrawal headache would be enough for a negative dice pool modifier in my opinion.

Sorry... rant done. grinbig.gif

Heh. That, and after a while a sufficiently high caffeine intake can make you develop things like a twitch (which said character has; constant twitching, generally jerky movements, and she's likely wearing her heart out early).
Medicineman
Exactly for that GURPS invented Quirks wink.gif

Hough !
Medicineman
Minchandre
I just ran a session where the runners found themselves in a very, very upscale lounge in Manhattan (way too upscale for them).

One of the characters ordered a glass of the finest Scotch - and was not pleased by the 4500 nuyen.gif bill.
jimbo
Heck with Wild Turkey

Take Chinese Ork with Squatter lifestyle with a criminal SIN fresh out of the pen

Add successful runs that net tens of thousands of nuyen

Add relocation from Seattle to Hong Kong for next job

Equals

At least a couple thou nuyen on prostitutes
hermit
QUOTE (Daylen @ Jul 17 2010, 02:46 AM) *
Or other booze really.

Anyone else get into their char enough to have the char pay good nuyen for whiskey? either just on a successful run or even as a drunken character flaw.

Me, sort of.

My one character bought expensive liquor as a present a couple times (for co-runners), and also has a couple rare Whiskeys bought aside from Lifestyle for a variety of reasons, and drinks from them to celebrate stuff. Does that count?
Daylen
sure.
Daddy's Little Ninja
Lifestyle can cover this and you can allocate more to your food and stuff with the advanced rules. I think something like a particular brand is handled with role playing.
Snow_Fox
Right, you set up the price in your lifestyle costs but it's the role playing that has DLN's husband making a point of having Irish whiskey.
CanRay
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jul 21 2010, 08:17 PM) *
Right, you set up the price in your lifestyle costs but it's the role playing that has DLN's husband making a point of having Irish whiskey.

Don't you mean Tir na Nog whiskey?
Daddy's Little Ninja
God no. He is Ex-british army and did a tour of duty there before the peace accords brought on by Clinton. He looks at the TNO elves and gets militant.
CanRay
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Jul 22 2010, 12:48 PM) *
God no. He is Ex-british army and did a tour of duty there before the peace accords brought on by Clinton. He looks at the TNO elves and gets militant.

How do you think the True Irish react?

I'm planning on having the IRA in my next game. Even if it is just as the "Irish Republic Army Surplus Store", and boy would they ever pay for a taste of Erin!
Daddy's Little Ninja
When the TV talks about the orangemen marching I have to remind him, quickly, that we have two small children who probably should not hear daddy using phrases like that.
stevebugge
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 22 2010, 11:02 AM) *
How do you think the True Irish react?

I'm planning on having the IRA in my next game. Even if it is just as the "Irish Republic Army Surplus Store", and boy would they ever pay for a taste of Erin!

I have one charcater who is a spike baby elf mage who is a veteran of the IRA in Ulster, the guy was a terrorist then and a borderline sociopath now, the rest of the team loves having his magic around but is more than a little leary of the guy as a person.

He spends a lot of money on drinks and smokes though
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012