Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sig-Sauer in 2070's ?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Stingray
Does any1 knows what happened Sig-Sauer Firearms mfg? Dragon bought it? Ares Arms?
D2F
Nothing is known. Chances are they are still solo, albeit somewhat insignificant.
Stingray
I think i just find out answer to my own question..PJSS
Arsenal pg. 28 ("The German Produktionsgemein schaft Jagd- und Sportwaffen Suhl") German CONGLOMERATE for hunting and
sports weapons..conglomerate mean unification of differerent manufacturers, right?
if so, i think that is the answer..
D2F
QUOTE (Stingray @ Jul 17 2010, 12:04 PM) *
I think i just find out answer to may own question..PJSS
Arsenal pg. 28 ("The German Produktionsgemein schaft Jagd- und Sportwaffen Suhl") German CONGLOMERATE for hunting and
sports weapons..conglomerate mean unification of differerent manufacturers, right?
if so, i think that is the answer.. sarcastic.gif

I don't see how that would be the answer to your question. Nowhere in there is Sig-Sauer even mentioned.

The Jagd- und Sportwaffen Suhl GmbH is a curenttly existing weapons maufacturer, you might probably know as "Merkel". The added "Produktionsgemeinschaft" implies that they cooperate with at least one other weapons manufacturer under a common license. A possible candidate would be "WTS - Waffentechnik Suhl" (Weapons Technologies Suhl). Additional candidates would be "Gebrüder Adamy Jagdwaffen" (Adamy Bros. Hunting Weapons) and "TJF - Traditionelle Jagdwaffen Fertigung" (Traditional Hunting Weapons Manufacture).

Sig-Sauer is neither producing, nor distributing out of Suhl. They are found in Isny (Germany, Bavaria) or Neuhausen am Rheinfall (Swiss), both nowhere near Suhl (both are about 450km away from Suhl).

I hope that helped.
Abstruse
Sig was gobbled up by SK. I don't have a reference for it, but I'm pretty damn sure that's the case...
EKBT81
QUOTE (Abstruse @ Jul 18 2010, 04:04 AM) *
Sig was gobbled up by SK. I don't have a reference for it, but I'm pretty damn sure that's the case...

I'd be surprised if there was a reference for it, since I have never seen SIG Sauer mentioned in any SR book I've read. Strangely, Smith & Wesson is another major firearms manufacturer that doesn't seem to be mentioned in SR canon.

Gamer6432
I haven't found anything in the books, but my guess would be Abstruse is correct. SIG Sauer is the German rep of a Swiss company. Since Saeder-Krupp gobbled up most of that region's business, it stands to reason they took over SIG Sauer.
Red_Cap
The company might have been torn in two, though. Sauer and Swiss Arms probably got gobbled up by S-K, but SIGARMS was based in New Hampshire, USA -- and now UCAS. The American half of the corp probably got absorbed into Ares Arms because, you know, that's how Damien Knight rolls.
D2F
QUOTE (Gamer6432 @ Jul 18 2010, 04:56 AM) *
I haven't found anything in the books, but my guess would be Abstruse is correct. SIG Sauer is the German rep of a Swiss company. Since Saeder-Krupp gobbled up most of that region's business, it stands to reason they took over SIG Sauer.

S-K is mostly heavy industry. While S-K does have a rather large military (in budget as well as technology), it's not S-K's main focus. I doubt the Lowfyr would start to mindlessly gobble up any and all Weapons manufacturers, just because they happen to be in german territory. As far as I am concerned, all weapons manufacturers that haven't been speficially mentioned to been aquisitioned by Larger corporations are still somewhat independant. It adds more flavor to SR as just having everything reduced to 10 corps and allows for more flexibility.
Stingray
QUOTE (Red_Cap @ Jul 18 2010, 10:41 AM) *
The company might have been torn in two, though. Sauer and Swiss Arms probably got gobbled up by S-K, but SIGARMS was based in New Hampshire, USA -- and now UCAS. The American half of the corp probably got absorbed into Ares Arms because, you know, that's how Damien Knight rolls.

hmmm...i think then it is safe to say (IRL) SIG 226 would have ancestor of Ares Predator.. biggrin.gif
D2F
QUOTE (Stingray @ Jul 18 2010, 08:03 AM) *
hmmm...i think then it is safe to say (IRL) SIG 226 would have ancestor of Ares Predator.. biggrin.gif

Actually, that would be the Auto-9 (Beretta m93R)
EKBT81
QUOTE (Gamer6432 @ Jul 18 2010, 06:56 AM) *

Well, I guess that depends on how canonical one considers FanPro's German-language sourcebooks, since those introduced a host of A/AA competitors in Lofwyr's back yard (Ruhrmetall, AGC, FBA).

I've checked my books and there's an SMG manufactured by SIG in Chrom&Dioxin, FanPro Germany's 1996 Switzerland sourcebook. However that's the only mention of SIG in this book. So I guess that SIG still existed at least until 2056 and didn't spin off it's firearms division as in real life. It seems to be up to the GM whether SIG's independent or a subsidiary of another corporation and whether it still includes J.P.Sauer & Sohn. Again, depends on your stance regarding the canonicity of FanPro Germany's books.
Link
canonicity???
Good find, I consider the non english material quite acceptable in the absence of any contrary information.
Shrike30
QUOTE (D2F @ Jul 18 2010, 12:24 AM) *
Actually, that would be the Auto-9 (Beretta m93R)

For looks, the Predator grew from that. For in-game effects, the Thunderbolt grew from that.
Nath
QUOTE (EKBT81 @ Jul 18 2010, 01:23 PM) *
Well, I guess that depends on how canonical one considers FanPro's German-language sourcebooks, since those introduced a host of A/AA competitors in Lofwyr's back yard (Ruhrmetall, AGC, FBA).

Not counting Germany Sourcebook (translation of Deutschland in der Schatten #1), Shadows of Europe and Corporate Guide, which are just as canon as any other US books.
stevebugge
The AAA corps don't own everything just an awful lot of things. There are still independent businesses ranging from very large multinational AA corps like Federated Boeing down to totally unrated tiny businesses like Joe's Espresso Cart on the corner of third & main. I'd say if it's not referenced in the books somewhere you're free to include or not include as needed for your game world.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012