Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Modeling the Matrix with the OSI model
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
SkepticInc
How does this look as a match-up between the 7-layer OSI model and the 7 skills in SR in the Electronics and Cracking Skill Groups?

[Data Search] :: Application
[Software] :: Presentation
[Hacking] :: Session
[Computer] :: Network
[Cybercombat] :: Transport
[Hardware] :: Data Link
[Electronic Warfare] :: Physical

Suggestions? Criticism?
Runner Smurf
Uh-oh. I tremble to think of where this might end up going...

Hrm. I'd argue that Cybercombat should be higher up: IC, etc. sits up at the Presentation/Application level. And considering the mesh network as described, EW could also bridge up to the Network layer for some activities.

Then again, IC can be working down at the Session level as well, with Exploit programs. Trace (Which is Computer + Track) actually goes down to the Data Link level, and arguably at the Physical level.

Since you can attack somebody's brain directly, maybe there needs to be an eighth layer: User Physiology?

Gyargh. This way madness lies...
SkepticInc
QUOTE (Runner Smurf @ Jul 17 2010, 11:29 PM) *
Uh-oh. I tremble to think of where this might end up going...

Hrm. I'd argue that Cybercombat should be higher up: IC, etc. sits up at the Presentation/Application level. And considering the mesh network as described, EW could also bridge up to the Network layer for some activities.

Then again, IC can be working down at the Session level as well, with Exploit programs. Trace (Which is Computer + Track) actually goes down to the Data Link level, and arguably at the Physical level.

Since you can attack somebody's brain directly, maybe there needs to be an eighth layer: User Physiology?

Gyargh. This way madness lies...

I made the decision to put [Electronic Warfare] at the Physical Layer as opposed to the Data Link Layer because EW is all about disrupting the transmission and reception of the other person:

Alice and Bob are talking, which makes Eve very jealous. Eve is sure they are making fun of her behind her back, so she wants to make them stop. Pulling out her Electronics Tools Kit she changes the wiring on her radio to transmit more power than the Grid Overwatch Division (GOD) allows for consumer goods without a permit. She'd better hurry, as a Lone Star Signals Enforcement Squad (LSSES) will be at her location soon. In the mean time, Eve makes an [LOG + Electronic Warfare] Test to find and jam the signal frequency Alice and Bob are using.

[EDIT]::Linked GOD and Lone Star from Sixth World Wiki
JoelHalpern
Treating the matrix rules as "layered" is probably not particularly helpfu, and might well confuse some people about both layering and the matrix rules. There are far more amusing a silly things to do with the OSI model.

Personally, I tend to like the diagrams with layers 8 and 9, corresponding variously to combinations of politics or religion.

Yours,
Joel
hobgoblin
i used a simplifed model back in the earlier days of SR4.

something like this, iirc:

[software]: nodes, programs, personas, icons, subscriptions.
[hardware]: comlinks, drones, nexi, device, electronic warfare, wifi, wired, sat.

this seemed to help people i presented it to separate the concept of node from the hardware it was running on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012