Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what happens with fine motor skills after you goblinize
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sheala

I have a character concept in mind... DocVagon doctor, skilled, able to perform in difficult situations, who goblinized in a tense moment. Into a Troll. She was fired from Docwagon, her situation worsened, after some hard times she picked up shadowrunning. But as a Troll, is she still able to work as team medic? Not counting in possible logic loss, i mean just from perspective of having bigger hands, not fitting equipment, and possible problems with delicate finger coordination smile.gif And maybe uncooperative patients biggrin.gif
Ofc she will learn how to gunfight and so. I am just fed up with steretypical big stupid trolls, and also think troll women deserve more spotlight
Deadmannumberone
Trolls have reduced AGI, INT, and LOG, so it is likely that she will have a much harder time doing extremely fine surgical procedures, however, most field medicine requires little to no fine motor manipulation, and even most surgery only requires a steady eye, as a drone can be used to compensate for the doctor's lack of coordination.
Stahlseele
Trolls at least allways have a dependable anaestheticum at hand *snickers*
Redcrow
If unable to continue performing as a surgeon, the troll could always go to work in collections... or repossession ala repo men. heh
Daddy's Little Ninja
One of the old books had a kid who was a decker who goblinized into a troll. He said thinking was like pushing through cotton wool. So your medic would probably have the same disadvantage. Big stuff like direct pressure and broken bones she could do but fine detail, like stitches would be out, at first. With karma she could regain agility. That would be her learning to operate, litterally, with the new fingers. I would still resist having a troll do CPR on me.
Doc Chase
I dunno. If you're in fibrilation and you see a Troll loom over you with a tusky grin and say 'I know CPR, pucker up,' I'd say it would be just the jolt my heart needed to get back into sync.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Jul 21 2010, 08:57 PM) *
One of the old books had a kid who was a decker who goblinized into a troll. He said thinking was like pushing through cotton wool. So your medic would probably have the same disadvantage. Big stuff like direct pressure and broken bones she could do but fine detail, like stitches would be out, at first. With karma she could regain agility. That would be her learning to operate, litterally, with the new fingers. I would still resist having a troll do CPR on me.

If you are in need of CPR, you are not in a state to resist . .
And you are probably not able to resist a troll trying to do CPR on you, even if you do not need it either . .
Stingray
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 21 2010, 10:18 PM) *
If you are in need of CPR, you are not in a state to resist . .
And you are probably not able to resist a troll trying to do CPR on you, even if you do not need it either . .

it all depends..If u are a troll male and and CPR-giver is good looking troll lady Nurse/Doc..We'll see who gets what.. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Mongoose
A troll medic (or even just orderly) would be a huge asset to Doc Wagon. Who else can move an injured / bedridden troll? (Yeah, sure, drones...)
Doc Chase
I think the troll-sized recovery ward is large enough to allow forklifts.
Daddy's Little Ninja
All I can think is human/ CPR from well meaning Troll/ ribs go crackle. crackle, crackle/ troll in tears saying "Don't die Kenichi."
Deadmannumberone
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Jul 21 2010, 11:57 AM) *

Stitching up a wound doesn't require that much dexterity. Getting the stitches so fine that it doesn't leave a noticeable scar on the other hand...
Doc Chase
You sure? Holding a sixteen gauge needle in a paw that shares a lot of similarities to a frozen turkey might make stitching difficult. nyahnyah.gif
Sheala
Ok, you want to survive a fight, or to be a beauty pageant ? smile.gif But i am starting to like this concept even more, doctor who leaves you healed just fine, bud with horrible looking scars .
Redcrow
Well, whats the smallest animal a veterinarian could perform surgery on? I can't imagine it would be much different for a Troll performing surgery on a human than a vet performing surgery on a small dog or a rabbit. Or even a regular surgeon performing on a small child.
Falanin
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Jul 21 2010, 02:47 PM) *
All I can think is human/ CPR from well meaning Troll/ ribs go crackle. crackle, crackle/ troll in tears saying "Don't die Kenichi."

Ha!

...but doesn't CPR generally break or crack some ribs anyway? At least in older people with more calcified bones?
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Redcrow @ Jul 21 2010, 06:40 PM) *
Well, whats the smallest animal a veterinarian could perform surgery on? I can't imagine it would be much different for a Troll performing surgery on a human than a vet performing surgery on a small dog or a rabbit. Or even a regular surgeon performing on a small child.

They do it with practice. I think DLN has a good point that trolls lose agility when they goblinize. That would mean they are more lcumsy. As they spend karma to imporve the agility scores they are becoming better at dealing with that sort of fine detail. In theory there's no reason that a troll couldn't be a first rate surgeon but it's going to look a little weird.
Dumori
A part form globalisation not being instant. Sounds good.
Deadmannumberone
QUOTE (Dumori @ Jul 21 2010, 07:29 PM) *
A part form globalisation not being instant. Sounds good.

I take it you mean goblinization, not globalisation, in which case you'd be wrong. Post pubescent goblinization is nearly instantaneous (often taking minutes for the complete change) with SURGE'd goblinization being even quicker.
Method
QUOTE (Falanin @ Jul 21 2010, 05:44 PM) *
...but doesn't CPR generally break or crack some ribs anyway? At least in older people with more calcified bones?
Yes, it does.

I don't see any reason a troll couldn't be a surgeon, at least with enough practice (i.e.- karma). As one my attendings was fond of saying "I could teach a monkey to operate. A good work ethic is what makes a good surgeon". It would be no different than pediatric surgeons now. Or vascular surgeons who routinely sew vessels with 10-0 suture- thats so small you can barely see it, much less feel it through your gloves. Besides, with 2070's tech everything would be less invasive, and cybertechnology like snake hands and microscopic cybereye mods would enable surgeons to use microsurgical techniques we can only imagine.

But as someone already pointed out, a field medic doesn't need to be a plastic surgeon. Treating trauma in the field doesn't require a lot of surgical precision for most things, so a troll would do just fine.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jul 21 2010, 03:31 PM) *
You sure? Holding a sixteen gauge needle in a paw that shares a lot of similarities to a frozen turkey might make stitching difficult. nyahnyah.gif

Interestingly enough, my current doctor does not hold the stitching needle in his hands when he stitches... he holds it in a forceps...
There is no loss of control that way either, from what I can tell, My doc's stitching technique is so precise that there is little to no scarring for most of his procedures... which I I am sure his patients appreciate immensely...

I see paramedics/doctors doing the same thing in the 2070's, especially Orks and Trolls, whose hands are a bit bigger than a humans...

Just Sayin'

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jul 21 2010, 07:22 PM) *
They do it with practice. I think DLN has a good point that trolls lose agility when they goblinize. That would mean they are more lcumsy. As they spend karma to imporve the agility scores they are becoming better at dealing with that sort of fine detail. In theory there's no reason that a troll couldn't be a first rate surgeon but it's going to look a little weird.

But Trolls do not lose Agility (unless they are at Maximum Human Capabilities) when they Goblinize... tehy only lose Maximum Rating Potential...
Method
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 21 2010, 09:50 PM) *
he holds it in a forceps...
Ahem... needle driver. wink.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 21 2010, 08:56 PM) *
Ahem... needle driver. wink.gif

Needle Driver It is... Look like Forceps to me though... wobble.gif
Method
At least in the U.S. we tend to call forceps by name, like Adson's, Russians, Cushing's, or whatever. Needle drivers, while technically a type of forceps, are just called needle drivers. I guess the dude that invented them wasn't as big of an egomaniac. But I digress...

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 21 2010, 09:52 PM) *
But Trolls do not lose Agility (unless they are at Maximum Human Capabilities) when they Goblinize... tehy only lose Maximum Rating Potential...
This is a great point because:

A.) you don't need a maximal human agility (6) to be a surgeon- there are plenty of surgeons around now a days that would rate a 4 or 5 and they do fine.

and

B.) in SR anyone can have a super human agility (7+) if they want to pay for it.

Now, a pixie surgeon specializing in laparoscopic surgery would be interesting... gives the term "latex bodysuit" a whole new meaning.
CanRay
Well, as someone who, literally, grew almost a foot in three months, I can tell you the doc has a LOT of life adjusting to do.

Limb lengths are different. That means a lot of things, like learning how to WALK again. (I never learned how to Ice Skate again, in fact.).

Now, if she's had time to adjust to her new body, then there's nothing stopping her from being a damn fine combat medic. Aside from being a big-hooped troll that will be target number three on the hit parade. (Right after the Mage and the Ork with a big gun.).

Method
I would also point out that goblinization occurs at puberty under most circumstances... that would leave you 5-10 years to adjust to your new body before you could even finish college, much less paramedic training or medical school. Your average general surgeon in the US is going to be 31 when they finish residency, assuming they don't take any time off or do research or anything like that. Thats a ways out from puberty... smile.gif
CanRay
Usually hits at Puberty, but other things can cause it as well. Mana Spikes, for instance. Like when Halley's Comet passed by (Not only are there Changlings, but a few folks Goblinized then and there as well, no matter the age.).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012