Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cybertechnology?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Belvidere
In my game, one of my player's, a chromed out Troll by the name of Fuzzy is very into his cybergear and augments, to the point where he's take addiction to them. He invested in the cybertechnology skill and he took a large amount of damage from the session before. But by any rules I've found, he can't so anything to repair his condition monitor via cybertech. Now this makes sense when someone is only a little cybered. But when the character in question is almost completely cybered out then I'd thin he wouldn't really take the damage, his cyber would. Am I missing a rule that would allow him to do this, or would it have to be houseruled?
Lanlaorn
I imagine the extra physical condition boxes that cyberlimbs provide is meant to represent how it's harder to actually hit any meat, and even fully cybered the torso and skull are only shells with the organs within (which I'd presume are what get damaged). So basically the assumption I'd operate under is that the cyberware never really gets damaged beyond superficial scratches and the damage you do take is what manages to punch through the torso/skull into your true physical body.
Yerameyahu
There are rules for repairing cyberware, although that may only be in case of redlining or such damage. I could have sworn there were damage-to-'ware rules.
Wasabi
He could take the Gremlins quality and temporarily disable the gremlins quality with a tuneup to his cyber as he hunts down for 'did you hear that?' and 'there's that whirring again!'

Thatd give some meat to the cybertechnology skill!

;-)
Belvidere
QUOTE (Wasabi @ Jul 20 2010, 11:48 PM) *
He could take the Gremlins quality and temporarily disable the gremlins quality with a tuneup to his cyber as he hunts down for 'did you hear that?' and 'there's that whirring again!'

Thatd give some meat to the cybertechnology skill!

wink.gif

That would be fun, but he invested a decent chunk of BP into knowing how to repair/tune-up his own cyber gear. So I was hoping to find a use of the skill for him.
Yerameyahu
Hehe. It's always nice to look *before* investing in worthless things.
Reg06
QUOTE (Belvidere @ Jul 21 2010, 04:56 AM) *
That would be fun, but he invested a decent chunk of BP into knowing how to repair/tune-up his own cyber gear. So I was hoping to find a use of the skill for him.

You could allow for those skills to be used to heal a number of condition monitor boxes equal to the number of cyber limbs, following normal healing rules.
iategod
QUOTE (Reg06 @ Jul 21 2010, 05:01 AM) *
You could allow for those skills to be used to heal a number of condition monitor boxes equal to the number of cyber limbs, following normal healing rules.

Good idea. Much like repairing a vehicle/weapon with the appropriate skill. It may take several days to fix as well as find the correct parts for repair.
Abstruse
2nd and 3rd both had rules for damage to cyberware and repairing it. Might want to dig up the old Street Samurai Catalog, Shadowtech, and Cybertechnology books if you can and find some way to create house rules for 4th Ed if they're not already in Augmentation as optional rules (I haven't checked myself yet).
Reg06
QUOTE (iategod @ Jul 21 2010, 05:50 AM) *
Good idea. Much like repairing a vehicle/weapon with the appropriate skill. It may take several days to fix as well as find the correct parts for repair.

Days certainly for Physical damage. Maybe to heal Stun damage on cyberware it'd take some sort of computer skill (as I imagine the Stun damage would be effecting the software rather than the hardware), and then just take hours.
Wasabi
You could always change it to a Knowledge Skill so he can still RP his knowledge and get 75% of the BP back to spend on useful stuff. Just sayin'...
Summerstorm
Or be creative. Let him roll this skill to "finetune" his stuff, and all hits on that test help him for the next time he is redlining something (the damage he would take). Also he can take out and repair and resell cybertech... hardly "useless". ALL skills can be applied useful... you just have to make something up sometimes.

BE A GOOD GM and do that *g*
Belvidere
QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Jul 21 2010, 08:59 AM) *
Or be creative. Let him roll this skill to "finetune" his stuff, and all hits on that test help him for the next time he is redlining something (the damage he would take). Also he can take out and repair and resell cybertech... hardly "useless". ALL skills can be applied useful... you just have to make something up sometimes.

BE A GOOD GM and do that *g*

Yeah, I'd been tossing this idea around in my head and I've come up with some good ideas. Mainly, I'm trying to figure out something to help him heal because the party's only healing is a very generalist druid. 3 magic, 3 spellcasting, no foci bonus dice or mentor spirit. And his lack of essence is giving our druid a -4 dice pool mod. And the only reason he's getting more than 2 dice is because Fuzzy has the quality that give all healing done by and to him +2 dice.
McCummhail
Augmentation has some rules for you.
P.23 presents an optional rule for maintenance as a lifestyle cost (which could be waived through personal maintenance)
p.120-122 presents rules for optional severe wounds (which include ware damage)
p.127 presents rules for repairing ware

The rules presented are much less prescriptive than 2nd or 3rd edition, but it gives you a rule-based jumping point.
I like the idea of fine-tuning reducing red-lining penalties.
Might apply that if I have a cybermonster in my game in the future.
biccat
QUOTE (Belvidere @ Jul 21 2010, 02:20 PM) *
Yeah, I'd been tossing this idea around in my head and I've come up with some good ideas. Mainly, I'm trying to figure out something to help him heal because the party's only healing is a very generalist druid. 3 magic, 3 spellcasting, no foci bonus dice or mentor spirit. And his lack of essence is giving our druid a -4 dice pool mod. And the only reason he's getting more than 2 dice is because Fuzzy has the quality that give all healing done by and to him +2 dice.

I'd switch his skill to Biotech with a specialization in cyberware. Give him a skill 1 less in Biotech, a medkit (appropriate for cyberware and meat popsicles), but give him +2 dice to treat anyone heavily cybered.
Belvidere
QUOTE (biccat @ Jul 21 2010, 10:22 AM) *
I'd switch his skill to Biotech with a specialization in cyberware. Give him a skill 1 less in Biotech, a medkit (appropriate for cyberware and meat popsicles), but give him +2 dice to treat anyone heavily cybered.

Do you mean the skill group?
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Belvidere @ Jul 21 2010, 02:32 PM) *
Do you mean the skill group?

I think Medicine is what was meant.
sabs
Biotech is a skill group that inclues:
Medicine
cybertechnology
First Aid.

I actually made a character who was effectively a street doc. It doesn't fit in all games, but it is amusing.
Cabral
You know cybertechnology would probably be the skill for casemodding his own ware.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Reg06 @ Jul 20 2010, 11:01 PM) *

Except a DP penalty of [Essence] rather than [6-Essence]. You're repairing the non-meat bits, the more meat there is, the less you can do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012