Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unbreakable Display
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Draco18s
Not quite up to ShadowTech, but still damn cool.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/07...market.in.2012/
Karoline
Clothing with a screen like that for changing splash images and stuff like that would be really cool.
AStarshipforAnts
That isn't technology. That's magic.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jul 21 2010, 10:35 AM) *
Clothing with a screen like that for changing splash images and stuff like that would be really cool.

Heh, reminds me of this:
http://www.365tomorrows.com/04/22/seeing-clearly/
Yerameyahu
Can totally break that. wink.gif
Karoline
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 21 2010, 11:53 AM) *
Can totally break that. wink.gif

Yeah, looks like it would snap if you tried folding it like paper. It would likely also not do nearly as well if something like a pick was being used.

It is however very impressive.
Draco18s
Well, yeah, certainly. But its certainly a lot more indestructible than standard displays and will take the abuse we regularly put those devices through (mainly blunt object blows, eg. dropping).
McCummhail
These would pair well with households that throw their Wiimotes.
Yerameyahu
Yeah, I was just teasing. smile.gif So much hyperbole in the media, though.
Mister Book
One problem, its Samsung. One year after you buy it, it'll burn out.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Mister Book @ Jul 21 2010, 06:52 PM) *

Eh? I've had my Samsung phone two years now and it's lasted longer than any other phone I've owned, and my monitor's still going six years strong.
Yerameyahu
They're all supplied by the same Chinese conglomerates.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jul 21 2010, 12:54 PM) *
Eh? I've had my Samsung phone two years now and it's lasted longer than any other phone I've owned, and my monitor's still going six years strong.

I've got a Samsung phone too, and while I'm not too impressed with the software,* the hardware itself is good

*I think it was the previous version of this phone, but my calendar appointments went off 3 hours late and I couldn't put in times unless they were exactly on a half hour mark (1pm, 1:30pm, 2pm...) and if I put in "12:45pm" it rounded up...to 13:00pm.
Belvidere
I really want to see these being used in roll up televisions, laptops, e-readers, ect. Thin screen LED technology is really useful. I mean 'cmon, I own a roll-up keyboard, and they can make a roll up screen. Can't be that hard to make the hardware rollable too. grinbig.gif Now I don't know anything about technology, so I may be wrong, but it just seems very possible at this point. Last I heard, sony had one in the works, but that was over a year ago, and I haven't heard anything else about it.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Belvidere @ Jul 21 2010, 01:08 PM) *
I really want to see these being used in roll up televisions, laptops, e-readers, ect.

Same. Once they can get these kinds of screens flexible enough for that (or at least, start making them) I'd consider an "iRollup."
Karoline
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 21 2010, 01:24 PM) *
Same. Once they can get these kinds of screens flexible enough for that (or at least, start making them) I'd consider an "iRollup."

I'm sure it would just be the iRolltm They don't like adding that extra syllable.
Doc Chase
I'm already dreading the marketing for that product.

"I'm <celebrity>, and that's how iRoll."
Belvidere
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jul 21 2010, 03:49 PM) *
I'm already dreading the marketing for that product.

"I'm <celebrity>, and that's how iRoll."

No! I don;t care how technologically advanced it would be! I don't ever want to have to see those commercials...
Karoline
Quick, either delete this thread or copyright it!
Belvidere
Bull! Save us from the pain! Delete this thread! grinbig.gif
Doc Chase
*steeples fingers and cackles in a most unbecoming manner*

Now I see an Apple shareholders meeting with Steve Jobs speaking interspersed with Mark Hamil from Empire Strikes Back.
Belvidere
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jul 21 2010, 04:03 PM) *
*steeples fingers and cackles in a most unbecoming manner*

Now I see an Apple shareholders meeting with Steve Jobs speaking interspersed with Mark Hamil from Empire Strikes Back.

AHAHAHA! grinbig.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Belvidere @ Jul 21 2010, 02:51 PM) *
No! I don;t care how technologically advanced it would be! I don't ever want to have to see those commercials...

This made me laugh. I'm at work too, but that's ok, because they just put peanut shells and coffee all over a co-worker's chair.
emouse
Last time I saw a company proclaim its product to be unbreakable it was a cell phone at CES this year. They handed it to a reporter who proceeded to whack it against the edge of a fish tank (where they were dunking the phone to show that it was water proof).

Whack whack whack crack.

Four hits later the screen was shattered and the phone was quite clearly broken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfBWds4HChI
Draco18s
Haha, awesome.

I loved the rep's reaction too: burst out laughing and clapped his hands.
Mongoose
iRoll = ohplease.gif

Not exactly marketing gold, that, especially given Apple is already perceived as a bit snooty.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Mongoose @ Jul 21 2010, 04:20 PM) *
iRoll = ohplease.gif

That is exactly what made me laugh.
Badmoodguy88
It is a cool display but I bet it scuffs easy. It is just plastic. It will go into something but high resolution and sensitive touch screens is where most people have been going.

When a glass screen breaks from a normal amount of damage, the electronic screen is just fine, it just needs a new case. People scalp you for replacment part or over charge you for repair. There are econic reasons for why this is the case. I am not going to go into it.

I guess what I am saying is glass sceens will be around for a wile and these things will not replace that for a pocket device. But then again many people today have a phone with a plastic screen. It is not as if I know what I am talking about.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Mister Book @ Jul 21 2010, 10:52 AM) *

Ehhh... I have had my Samsung Monitor for 14 Years, and my Samsung TV (48" HDTV) for 7 years... Neither of which hae ever had any problems... Not sure where your problems are, but I love my Samsung products. wobble.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012