Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Student radio
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Daddy's Little Ninja
I was wondering. we see all the world with the matrix and comm links and all but would old style AM/FM radio have survived? Sure the high tech glam boys are doing satalite broadcasts right to YOU, but what about those small stations, maybe based at a college that were never really supported by the sponsors, would they still be around?

It seems like a really good basis for a few things and contacts. So can someone come up with good reasons why they might not be? I would think they might even gain popularity after the last matrix crash and old style radios would be 'in' the way we now have turntables-my husband insists we have a working turntable in the house.
Doc Chase
I would think most of the wireless bands are taken up by now, but student-run Matrix broadcasts and other pirate 'trids would be all the rage.
Belvidere
I wouldn't see any actual need for them obviously. But I could see a retro crowd being into them. Maybe a bunch of old bikers looking for good ol' fashion rock'n'roll. Or maybe a pirate style radio station. It actually seems like it would be a more secure channel for those who couldn't get their hands on sat uplinks and nice fun gadgetry like that. Maybe college kids using old school radio waves and earpieces to cheat on tests because nobody's watching for old school radio signals.
Daddy's Little Ninja
Yeah that's the sort of thing I was thinking of. I mean now a lot of college stations are doing that and I heard that is what Mexican Radio was in the 60's right? Playing music the main line stations would not touch. I was thinking of the contacts such late night DJ's might provide.

I think the wave bands would be open just because they have been abandoned commercially, the matrix using 'higher' lines, or something like that.
Abstruse
Well, there's still ham radio operators out there...check license plates next time you're at the mall, bet you'll see at least one "Radio Operator" plate. So it wouldn't surprise me there'd be at least a few people still into old school AM/FM radio.
Belvidere
QUOTE (Abstruse @ Jul 21 2010, 03:05 PM) *
Well, there's still ham radio operators out there...check license plates next time you're at the mall, bet you'll see at least one "Radio Operator" plate. So it wouldn't surprise me there'd be at least a few people still into old school AM/FM radio.

Well yeah, it's used for trucker's. Almost all 18-wheelers have HAM radios.
Mongoose
Are you sure about that? CB radios (and these days, satalite uplinks) are common on interstate cargo trucks, but ham radios?
Doc Chase
I think CB is what was meant, since ham typically requires some serious antennae and a lot of frequency scanning equipment. nyahnyah.gif
Daylen
and I bet you lot think HAM radio would be gone too eh?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012