Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Critter: Void Ants
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Jopp
Void Ants
The void ant live close to strong sources of magic since it feeds from it. Usually found in south America but have steadily moved across the globe as passengers with cargo vessels and build small hives.

Originally a smaller form of army ant that changed. They still travel and swarm occasionally.

They have now started to pop up all over the globe close to magical sources, much to the chagrin of magic users everywhere.

The latest problem is that they have an appetite for anything edible infused with magic making it a pest on all things awakened – Especially gardens.

They have a huge appetite for Awakened Ivy, Glomoss, Guardian Vines and other awakened plants and they radiate their own background count.

Statistics
Attributes: 0 (Tiny ants)
Essence: 1
Metagenic Quality: Astral Hazing
Dietary Requirement: Awakened Food (Yes, people included)
Tanegar
Astral Hazing creates a Rating 4 background count that extends [Essence] meters from the critter's body (in this case one meter). Is that for each individual ant, or for the colony? If it's for each ant, are the background counts cumulative, i.e., if you have two ants next to each other, is it now a Rating 8 background count?

I'm not sure you've thought this through sufficiently. Any void ants in a populated area would be quickly exterminated, because nobody wants a giant mana void forming in downtown Seattle, and it's impossible to hide background count. At worst, this would be something runners might run into once in a blue moon way out in the boondocks where nobody's around to know that they're messing with the astral plane.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 23 2010, 08:09 AM) *
Astral Hazing creates a Rating 4 background count that extends [Essence] meters from the critter's body (in this case one meter). Is that for each individual ant, or for the colony? If it's for each ant, are the background counts cumulative, i.e., if you have two ants next to each other, is it now a Rating 8 background count?

Only the highest background count is used se regardless of amount the background count will be 1 meter per ant.

The count of -4 is too much. I'll change it to equal to Force of Food.

This would make them cancel out the areas they are in and not create a huge void - unless they eat F6 plants...or people.
CanRay
Magician, the other Red Meat.
Johnny B. Good
You should probably at least stat out their mentals, I can imagine them having some modicum of intuition. Also consider giving them innate spell: Detect Magic, a magic attribute of 1 (Awakened), as well as the Gestalt Consciousness power.
Xahn Borealis
As soon as you said they eat Awakened Ivy etc, my first thought was of runners catching a matchbox-full and letting them loose in the vents of some place with magical security.
SkepticInc
I take it you've read about the Crazy Rasberry Ant?
Method
Intersting idea. Needs some fine tuning but I like the concept.
Mongoose
A similar idea would be "termites" that have adapted to symbiotic hosting FAB3 in their gut. The termite gets the ability to detect and draw nourishment from magic, and the FAB3 gains the ability to survive in low magic areas without starving to death, as well as a host organism that protects it from threats such as germ-killing spells and (potentially) improved mobility.
Either could be a real problem in magical lodges...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012