Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adepts, Magical Lodges & Foci
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
nylanfs
What uses would an adept have for a Magical Lodge, I didn't find the BBB terribly clear on this. Also would they have any use for foci other than weapon?

One of my player's is running an adept and was asking the questions, and I haven't dealt with adepts much.
Glyph
No to both, for normal adepts. A mystic adept (who combines adept powers and mage abilities) would find both to be useful for his mage side.
Deadmannumberone
An adept can only benefit from weapon foci, though they can bond to any type. And an adept needs a lodge if he wishes to enchant foci.
Karoline
Having a lodge might also be a good way to make it hard to track you, since you can hide inside it and it becomes (I believe) harder to use any kind of astral tracking against you, though this would be fairly limited usefulness. Might also help with a ritual spell being cast against you? No real idea on that though.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jul 25 2010, 08:24 AM) *
Having a lodge might also be a good way to make it hard to track you, since you can hide inside it and it becomes (I believe) harder to use any kind of astral tracking against you, though this would be fairly limited usefulness. Might also help with a ritual spell being cast against you? No real idea on that though.

Well, A lodge is an Astral Barrier, so you would benefit from that when inside of it... smokin.gif
nylanfs
Okay, then I told him wrong. smile.gif I thought that they did gain some benefits.
Karoline
I suppose if he had that adept power that lets him sustain spells for a mage you could argue that he could use sustaining foci to sustain those spells, thus acting as a spell battery for the mage.
Mäx
Well im pretty sure power focus adds dice to test that some adept powers require when using them, like attribute boost.
Doc Chaos
A power focus adds its Force to all tests in which the magician’s Magic is included. A single power focus can increase a magician’s ability to cast spells, call on and control spirits, and bypass astral barriers.

Bold text by me. So, no. Adepts don't get anything out of a power focus.
Karoline
QUOTE (Doc Chaos @ Jul 26 2010, 08:43 AM) *
Bold text by me. So, no. Adepts don't get anything out of a power focus.

Except that the term magician isn't used exclusively to mean 'mage' in the SR rulebooks, so that doesn't really mean anything as far as adept usage. I don't see why they couldn't use a power focus for attribute boost or any other powers that run off the magic stat, but those are so few and far between that I don't think an adept would generally benefit enough to make a power focus worth the cost.
Fauxknight
We have two adepts with power foci in our new group. One is a shapeshifter with a couple of attribute boosts, the other just really loves his attribute boosts. There are a few other powers in Street Magic that roll your magic attribute, but hardly enough to make it worth it.
Doc Chaos
In the german SR4A core rulebook it uses the word which is used for spellslingers. *shrugs*
Dreadlord
QUOTE (Doc Chaos @ Jul 26 2010, 10:36 AM) *
In the german SR4A core rulebook it uses the word which is used for spellslingers. *shrugs*

Also, on SR4A p.178, Magical Lodges, it only mentions MAGICIANS using and creating lodges. My understanding has always been that a "magician" was a mage or mystic adept.

Doc Chaos, what does it say in the German SR4A for the Magical Lodges section? Is it also specific to spellslingers?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Dreadlord @ Jul 26 2010, 02:59 PM) *
Also, on SR4A p.178, Magical Lodges, it only mentions MAGICIANS using and creating lodges. My understanding has always been that a "magician" was a mage or mystic adept.

Doc Chaos, what does it say in the German SR4A for the Magical Lodges section? Is it also specific to spellslingers?

It does not really matter who can own or activate a Lodge...the fact is, ANYONE who is behind an Astral Barrier benefits from its protection, and a Lodge creates an Astral Barrier.
Laodicea
QUOTE (Dreadlord @ Jul 26 2010, 02:59 PM) *

If you want to use this kind of logic and rules lawyering, you could argue that many spells, abilities, Wares, and some equipment, only applies to females in shadowrun.
Deadmannumberone
The weapon foci description specifies that any awakened character can use it. The rest use 'magician' instead of 'awakened character'. As such, RAW means that only spellslingers can benefit from the bonus dice from magical lodges or spell, spirit, or power foci.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Deadmannumberone @ Jul 26 2010, 07:41 PM) *
The weapon foci description specifies that any awakened character can use it. The rest use 'magician' instead of 'awakened character'. As such, RAW means that only spellslingers can benefit from the bonus dice from magical lodges or spell, spirit, or power foci.

Except that even mundanes benefit from the defensive benefits of being behind an Astral Barrier... and again, an Active Lodge is treated as an Astral Barrier... Why do people continue to miss this? wobble.gif
Laodicea
QUOTE (Deadmannumberone @ Jul 26 2010, 09:41 PM) *

Sure. And power foci only apply to females, per SR4A pg 200.

You know what's even more fun!? being literal with the Bible!
Mäx
QUOTE (Deadmannumberone @ Jul 27 2010, 04:41 AM) *

"Awakened character" and "magician" are used interchangeably all over the foci chapter.
Karoline
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jul 27 2010, 01:32 AM) *
"Awakened character" and "magician" are used interchangeably all over the foci chapter.

All over the entire book for that matter.
Dreadlord
What I was trying to say, only a magician (mage or mystic adept) can CREATE a lodge. I don't really see why an adept would be able to make one, but maybe it could be justified. I don't really see that it would be worth it for an adept, as the uses discussed so far have been pretty much "meh."

I would think that anyone (Awakened or not) inside a lodge or astral barrier would have all the protections and limitations that the barrier bestows upon its enclosed space. Twisting RAW in such a manner leads to madness! wink.gif
Karoline
QUOTE (Dreadlord @ Jul 27 2010, 04:11 PM) *
What I was trying to say, only a magician (mage or mystic adept) can CREATE a lodge. I don't really see why an adept would be able to make one, but maybe it could be justified.
Same reason that Adepts can enchant stuff.
I don't really see that it would be worth it for an adept, as the uses discussed so far have been pretty much "meh."

True.
I would think that anyone (Awakened or not) inside a lodge or astral barrier would have all the protections and limitations that the barrier bestows upon its enclosed space.

Also true.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012