Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: can mystic adept cast two spells in one round
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
itaipee
Does mystic adapt can case 2 or 3 spells per round

I start to design magician with low magic and force but high magic skill rate - so he will not hurt himself too much when casting spells

- then I though if I make it mystic adapt with imrpoved reflexed then he can cast twice per one round

So the question if there is some limit to casting that prevent this ?

When thinking on that , I also can make it by give him wired-reflex so the essense reduce the magic - the effect is similar to adapt power
DrZaius
Yes. You can cast a spell for every initiative pass you have an action in. Improved Reflexes gives you an extra Initiative Pass for every level you buy (Improved Reflexes 1 gives you +1 Initiative Pass, Improved Reflexes 2 gives you +2 Initiative Passes, etc.).
Mäx
You can actually cast as many spells as you like with one complex action, but you have to resist drain from all of them invidually and you get +1 to drain of every spell you cast for every additional spell over 1.
But yes if you have multiple IP:s(Iniative Passes) you can cast spells in every one of them.
And you dont have to be and mystic adept or get ware to get more IP:s theres a spell that give you more IP:s too(increased iniative i think is it's name)
Karoline
And you can also use multicasting during each of those IPs if you wanted.
Ancient History
And you don't even have to be a mystic adept to do it.
Yerameyahu
Welcome to Shadowrun. smile.gif
Elfenlied
Why cyber your magic down? You are aware that you can cast spells at any force between 1 and 2*<Magic attribute>.
Caadium
QUOTE (itaipee @ Jul 26 2010, 06:24 AM) *
So the question if there is some limit to casting that prevent this ?

Since this part wasn't really addressed I figured I'd answer it for you.

Drain is the mechanic that limits your casting because everytime you cast, you have to deal with it. The more you cast, the more likely you are to suffer for it.

However, if you want to cast till you black out, have fun with that.
itaipee
well, the question is - if casting a spell in the second IP , also increase the drain by 1. If not - that mean I have quite good deal - for example having magic/force 3 , and casting 2 spells , then most of the chances that if I have 9 in the will+logic or will+charisma , then I will not suffer too much damage from these spells.

to compare : magician that cast one spell with force 5 , then he likely to suffer from at-list 2 points of stun damage , not to mention if he want to kill himself by casting with force 10 ..
in this case I think the magician should be troll ..

and also - the cyber is not a quite good idea
Emy
QUOTE (itaipee @ Jul 26 2010, 11:50 AM) *
well, the question is - if casting a spell in the second IP , also increase the drain by 1.

No.

If not - that mean I have quite good deal - for example having magic/force 3 , and casting 2 spells , then most of the chances that if I have 9 in the will+logic or will+charisma , then I will not suffer too much damage from these spells.

Magic/force 3? Magic 3 and Force 3 are not the same thing. Magic is your innate magical ability. It determines how much Force you can use. Force is the amount of power you put into a spell. It determines drain and also how many hits from the spellcasting roll you can use.

I'd go up to force 5, for general use. Force 3 spells are a bit weak.

There are ways to increase your drain resistance dice pool other than Willpower and your tradition's drain stat, such as fetishes (+2), focused concentration (+1 per level, max 2), focus will (+2), drain pact (+spirit's force).

to compare : magician that cast one spell with force 5 , then he likely to suffer from at-list 2 points of stun damage , not to mention if he want to kill himself by casting with force 10 ..

Drain is based on Force / 2, rounded down. Unless the magician is casting a spell with a -very- high drain code, and fails to get any hits on the drain test, they're not going to kill themselves by casting at force 10. Injure? Quite possibly. Kill? No.
Mäx
QUOTE (Emy @ Jul 26 2010, 09:25 PM) *
Drain is based on Force / 2, rounded down. Unless the magician is casting a spell with a -very- high drain code, and fails to get any hits on the drain test, they're not going to kill themselves by casting at force 10. Injure? Quite possibly. Kill? No.

Yeah as long as you dont try to cast force 10 napalm as gnome mage you should be okey well atleast alive.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 26 2010, 11:11 AM) *
Why cyber your magic down? You are aware that you can cast spells at any force between 1 and 2*<Magic attribute>.

Because cyber/bio may be the deciding factor between a living mage and a dead mage.
Udoshi
well, the question is - if casting a spell in the second IP , also increase the drain by 1.

Augh! no!

A mysadept/Magician may Cast a Spell as a Complex Action. They may also Multicast, performing two or more spells at once with the same Complex Action. (but this raises all spells drain, as other people have noted above)
Each Action Phase/Initiative Pass you get one Free action, plus one Complex action (which can be traded in for two simple actions).

The two rules are not the same. Multicasting and casting again on your next turn are completely different, but you can combine them as you want to suit the situation.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012