Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two SURGE questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Grue Master
It says on p.110 of Runner's Companion that metagenic qualities with no cyberware/bioware equivalents can be bought as Transgenic Alterations. Would you allow someone to buy Glamour as a Transgenic Alteration?

Secondly, why is Catlike (p.96 Runner's Companion) not available as a metagenic quality? This seems like exactly the sort of thing that SURGE might impart to someone. Any opinions on why this would be too powerful/unbalancing if allowed?

Thanks in advance!
Karoline
I personally wouldn't allow Glamour since it is described as being a much more complicated (and semi-magical) effect than any of the other SURGE abilities (except bad vibe) which all revolve around physical alterations that are fairly straightforward.

As for why no catlike, I'd imagine it was just an oversight (They had alot of qualities to go over) or might be a case of being added after they'd done that part of the book (since no RC qualities are in that list, and there are plenty that should qualify). I don't personally see any harm in allowing it under SURGE.
Glyph
That rule only applies to non-magical metagenetic qualities - things like arcane arrester, nasty vibe, glamour, or astral hazing would not be doable (granted, nasty vibe and glamour don't have a magic rating, aren't affected by background counts, and so forth, but I would still call a supernatural aura of malevolence or unearthly grace "magical").
The Grue Master
Fair enough, that's how I would have called it. I definitely think that Glamour has a 'supernatural' component. Catlike is probably just an oversight.
Wasabi
Catlike as a SURGE quality would be good flavor IMO.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012