Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question on Spoof and Mutual Signal Range
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
LivingOxymoron
Do you need to be in mutual signal range of a device to be able to spoof it, or even to see it in AR/VR at all?

For example, lets say you are 15 meters away from a target laying down suppressive fire with a Machine Gun. The Gun is smartlinked, with a Signal Rating of 0, and wirelessly connected to a Commlink with a Signal 3. The team hacker has a comm with a Signal of 3 also. Can the hacker spoof the gun to drop the ammo box, or does he have to gain entry to the commlink first to even access the smartlink?
Nosaji
Yes the hacker has to hack the commlink first in order to spoof the order to drop the ammobox because the gun is not transmitting a signal. In order for devices to interact with each other they need to be within each other's signal range.

Even if the gun had a signal of 3 you might still have to hack the commlink if the guy slaved the gun to his commlink.

*Edit*
Actually now that I think about it would the target even get the benefits of the smartlinked gun due to it not being able to transmit? If that's the case the hacker might want to hack the guy's cybereyes/visual gear to blind him instead =P
Udoshi
I am unsure. I will have to look this up in the morning, if someone else hasn't gotten to it by then.

I am guessing, though, that you do not need a subscription to issue commands,(cause, i mean, i'm pretty sure someone could comm their CHN from the road on the way home so dinner's ready by the time they get back, and if you can issue a command, you can spoof it) so you could conceivably send a spoofed command to a device. You have no way of knowing if it responded to the command, either. Plus if it fails you've earned yourself a free restricted alert against your AccessID.

Also, if your opponent is smart, and has the smartgun skinlinked with the wi-fi off(or a cybersafety chip, which overrides wifi input), then your spoof command won't do anything.

So, yeah. It boils down to 'does spoofing require a subscription'. If it does, you need mutual signal range. I don't know off the top of my head, unfortunately.
Sengir
QUOTE (Nosaji @ Jul 28 2010, 06:59 AM) *
In order for devices to interact with each other they need to be within each other's signal range.

Not at all. The matrix is a mesh network, so every node acts as an intermediary for data transfers, and as long as a route exists between two nodes over an arbitrary number of intermediates they can talk to each other.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (LivingOxymoron @ Jul 28 2010, 12:47 AM) *
Do you need to be in mutual signal range of a device to be able to spoof it, or even to see it in AR/VR at all?

For example, lets say you are 15 meters away from a target laying down suppressive fire with a Machine Gun. The Gun is smartlinked, with a Signal Rating of 0, and wirelessly connected to a Commlink with a Signal 3. The team hacker has a comm with a Signal of 3 also. Can the hacker spoof the gun to drop the ammo box, or does he have to gain entry to the commlink first to even access the smartlink?

Issuing the Spoof itself does not need mutual signal range. The device issuing the Spoof must be able to reach the device receiving the Spoof command. You will however need the accessid of the authorized account. In this scenario, assuming the commlink with signal 3 is the authorized one, you would do a matrix perception check on that device, which would need to be in mutual signal range for the devices to recognize each other.
Nosaji
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jul 28 2010, 05:08 AM) *
Not at all. The matrix is a mesh network, so every node acts as an intermediary for data transfers, and as long as a route exists between two nodes over an arbitrary number of intermediates they can talk to each other.

Well that's fine if you're in the city but I don't think this would apply if you're in a place where there's no signal
Sengir
QUOTE (Nosaji @ Jul 28 2010, 03:40 PM) *
Well that's fine if you're in the city but I don't think this would apply if you're in a place where there's no signal

The whole point of a mesh network is to cover blind spots by rerouting data between the participants, and to create network connectivity where no infrastructure (ie. cell towers) exists.
Yerameyahu
So, yes. If you're in a place with no signal, where it's just you and that guy you're spoofing, it could be a problem. It's not a common situation, but it's possible.
rumanchu
QUOTE (Nosaji @ Jul 27 2010, 10:59 PM) *
Actually now that I think about it would the target even get the benefits of the smartlinked gun due to it not being able to transmit? If that's the case the hacker might want to hack the guy's cybereyes/visual gear to blind him instead =P

Just to clarify, Signal 0 devices still transmit/receive out to a range of around 3m (SR4A, p.222).
Nosaji
I fail... my bad... frown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012