Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally! A Shadowrun movie?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bastard
Swords, guns, mages, dragons, trolls, dystopia...

Is Sucker Punch a shadowrunner's wet dream?
Punchline
At first glance, I'm not excited. Seems less Shadowrunny and more Charlie's Angels-y. Not to sound sexist, but Hollywood does a poor job at presenting movies about "badass chicks" banding together to defeat something evil. I would love to see someone do it right, though.
DuckEggBlue Omega
I get the impression it's all the delusion/fantasy of some girl(s?) in a mental institution.

If nothing else it looks like it'll have some decent action sequences, and if the different sequences (the samurai, the nazis, the dragon) are different 'worlds' rather than one mishmash it might make a decent basis for an astral quest ala Harlequin's Back.
Punchline
QUOTE (DuckEggBlue Omega @ Aug 3 2010, 02:42 AM) *
(the samurai, the nazis, the dragon)

I want to see a movie successfully combine those three things. Seriously.
Fabe
QUOTE (DuckEggBlue Omega @ Aug 2 2010, 10:42 PM) *
I get the impression it's all the delusion/fantasy of some girl(s?) in a mental institution.

If nothing else it looks like it'll have some decent action sequences, and if the different sequences (the samurai, the nazis, the dragon) are different 'worlds' rather than one mishmash it might make a decent basis for an astral quest ala Harlequin's Back.

I think you right about the delusion part Duck,

Sucker Punch” is an epic action fantasy that takes us into the vivid imagination of a young girl whose dream world provides the ultimate escape from her darker reality. Unrestrained by the boundaries of time and place, she is free to go where her mind takes her, but her incredible adventures blur the lines between what’s real and what is imaginary... with potentially tragic consequences.

Still it looks like it could be a great movie
CanRay
Bah, it's not a Shadowrun movie without Elven Lesbian Stripper Ninjas. nyahnyah.gif
Punchline
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 3 2010, 03:53 AM) *
Bah, it's not a Shadowrun movie without Elven Lesbian Stripper Ninjas. nyahnyah.gif

Go-Go Girl Strike Ninjas.

A group of five mystic adept elven lesbian 1960's style Go-Go ninjas used to steal a jade box that the players were in possession of. I was not a part of said game, but I have been hearing about it since my friends saw "Elven Lesbian Stripper Ninjas" in this thread, and after watching the Sucker Punch trailer.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Punchline @ Aug 2 2010, 09:44 PM) *

It's a movie about delusional states.

Chances are, by the end of the movie all the delusions will start blending together.

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Aug 2 2010, 09:58 PM) *
It's a movie about delusional states.

Chances are, by the end of the movie all the delusions will start blending together.

For some reason, that statement reminds me of High School...
DuckEggBlue Omega
QUOTE (Punchline @ Aug 3 2010, 12:14 PM) *

Define "successfully".

Wouldn't be hard if you just went Rule of Cool on WW2. Nazi Germany and Japan were allies and the Nazis were into occult research (according to all the movies I've seen). Hell you could even work in the scenes that appeared to be in a strip club in this movie, and make it about a group of female agents working out of a brothel in Nazi occupied Paris and completely dispense with the 'serious' pretext of young girls being institutionalised. Now that I think about it, maybe that IS the 'fantasy' setting in this film?
Punchline
QUOTE (DuckEggBlue Omega @ Aug 3 2010, 03:02 AM) *
Define "successfully".

Wouldn't be hard if you just went Rule of Cool on WW2. Nazi Germany and Japan were allies and the Nazis were into occult research (according to all the movies I've seen).

And this is why I've fallen in love with Dumpshock already.
Hand-E-Food
It looks suitably insane. I'm sold! biggrin.gif
Karoline
QUOTE (DuckEggBlue Omega @ Aug 2 2010, 10:42 PM) *
Agreed.

It might be more though. It certainly makes me want to see the movie more than most other trailers (And is shorter!) simply because they leave that out there. The action looked cool and all, but the 'what is really going on?' aspect draws me in much more.
vikingwinternight
It definitely is intriguing.
Grinder
QUOTE (suoq @ Aug 3 2010, 05:47 AM) *

What? He didn't found that thread? How surprising, giving the thread title. grinbig.gif
BobChuck
true, but he would have had to go looking for it.

I think he was just like "I am going to post this thing because it is cool and there is no way anyone saw it before I did so it wont violate the board rules regarding multiple topics for the same thing".

To be fair, it is in a different forum.
Bastard
QUOTE (Grinder @ Aug 2 2010, 10:37 PM) *
What? He didn't found that thread? How surprising, giving the thread title. grinbig.gif

No shit. I figured since the youtube video was a couple days old that someone had to have posted it, but I did not see anything that resembled or referred to a as a movie thread. Sorry for being a couple days late to the party. grinbig.gif

QUOTE (BobChuck @ Aug 3 2010, 04:07 AM) *
true, but he would have had to go looking for it.

I think he was just like "I am going to post this thing because it is cool and there is no way anyone saw it before I did so it wont violate the board rules regarding multiple topics for the same thing".

To be fair, it is in a different forum.

Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking. You are so wise.

And yes... I did notice the main character being dragged to the mental institution and the line "what you are imagining right now; that place can be as real as anything" or something like that.

I figure it will supposed to be a mind trip movie (imitation of Vanilla Sky, Shutter Island, etc), though probably plot gives way to action. But I can still hope for a semi decent plot.

I was just overjoyed to see ninjas, missiles and dragons all in the same trailer. spin.gif

... Then on top of that, theyre go-go strike ninjas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012