Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Urban Brawl Movies
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Simon Kerimov
Shadow Wars is a neat idea being kicked around, and I'm wondering if people know of any films like it? Running Man is the obvious one, with the chief difference being Shadow Wars is about teams fighting it out for a 5 million newyen prize, and not criminals trying to survive.

The two I can think of:

• Running Man
  • Series 7: The Contenders
Solon
Death Race 2000 and its remake Death Race are this with vehicles.

Also The Condemned and an Italian Film from the 1960s called The 10th Victim.
Summerstorm
Hm..

Mean Guns (With Ice-T and Christopher Lambert) is about 100 people in an abandoned prison where they have to find weapons and kill each other. Winner gets 10 mil. Too bad it realy isn't good.

Red_Cap
"Gamer". . . sort of.
Simon Kerimov
How about video games?
Xahn Borealis
Does Battle Royale count? It's not really a gameshow, but it's a similar concept.
Chance359
Mean guns is better if not taken seriously, just watch it for the bits of flashy action and it no that bad a film. I have no trouble seeing a Street Sam on medication just to keep him level:

"Lou: Valium, prozac, and ritalin. Breakfast of champions. "

Solon
QUOTE (Simon Kerimov @ Aug 3 2010, 05:17 AM) *
How about video games?

How about a classic, Smash TV!
Martin_DeVries_Institute
I know it is neither a movie nor a video game, but I would point to Stephen King's original story "The Running Man." It's definitely not as cartoonish as the movie but, like Shadow Wars, the point is that this deadly contest is being transmitted across the globe for people's entertainment.

In the story you-the-viewer can win money by watching. If you see the quarry and give the Hunters info, you get money. Your info leads to the quarry being killed? You win more money. Which makes me wonder if the Neutrals in Shadow Wars are really going to be all that neutral.

You can find the story in a collection called "The Bachman Books," all originally written under that pseudonym. It also includes a story called "The Long Walk" which is also a dystopian televised competition: 100 young men are forced to walk the Eastern seaboard. Fall below 4 mph and you get a warning. Get three warnings, you get shot. The Walk continues until only one man is left.
Simon Kerimov
QUOTE (MJBurrage @ Aug 3 2010, 12:49 PM) *

Thank you, I'm going to have to start watching these.
suoq
Note that Battle Royale is a an outstanding example of the field. The cinematography is beautiful. It's worth taking the time to enjoy for it's own merits.
Redcrow
What about "Rollerball"?
nemafow
There is a Battle Royale II, which is a similiar concept, but not as good as the first one.
Smokeskin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blood_of_Heroes
Acidsaliva
Who could forget everyone's favourite battle to the death for entertainment Max Max Beyond the Thunderdome
"Two men enter. One man leaves"

Then there is the newest edition to the 'Hunting Man for Sport' Predators (even though they're being hunted by a bunch of aliens sorry Predators). grinbig.gif

What about The Condemned ? Was it any good ? I don't know if I can take any actor seriously if their first name / title is 'Stone Cold'. ohplease.gif
Mesh
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Aug 4 2010, 05:07 AM) *

You get bonus points for mentioning the best one of all.

Mesh
Voran
Beverly Hills Ninja?
Martin_DeVries_Institute
QUOTE (Acidsaliva @ Aug 4 2010, 02:53 AM) *
Who could forget everyone's favourite battle to the death for entertainment Max Max Beyond the Thunderdome
"Two men enter. One man leaves"

Can't we just get beyond Thunderdome?

I had to look up Blood of Heroes, having never seen it. Apparently it has inspired a real-life sport... Rutger Hauer must be so proud.
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (suoq @ Aug 3 2010, 04:51 PM) *
Note that Battle Royale is a an outstanding example of the field. The cinematography is beautiful. It's worth taking the time to enjoy for it's own merits.

Eh. Wasn't particularly impressed. The novel and manga were much better IMHO.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Martin_DeVries_Institute @ Aug 4 2010, 07:57 PM) *
Rutger Hauer must be so proud.

If I was him, I'd be proud, anyway, cos of that soliloquy in Blade Runner.
CanRay
QUOTE (Martin_DeVries_Institute @ Aug 4 2010, 01:57 PM) *
Can't we just get beyond Thunderdome?

No. Because we're out of petrol.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012