Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lockbuster Ammo question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Voran
Just a quick question regarding use of Lockbuster type shotgun ammo in an SR setting. (Thanks to Raygun's firearms site!) At the moment I don't have Cannon Comp, though thankfully with the reprinting I was able to order one, should get here in a few days.

From what I gather in normal 3.0 sr rules, you can't bust through a door unless you take its barrier rating down to half what it used to be. Anyone have better rules on how to handle 'called shots' as it were, against door locks or hinges with lockbuster type shells?

Has tech advanced enough in SR that the only time using lockbuster type ammo is against barrens/street/low rating lifestyle settings, or is it still viable on your 'typical' middle lifestyle door?
Jpwoo
Don't have the book with me. I think Lockbuster doubles power against barrier.

I would say that in terms of doors called shots for hinges and locks don't really apply, this is just crammed into the barrier rating, which is why doors normally have lower barrier ratings than walls.

I would rule that it would be effective in nearly all circumstances, not just in barrens-low lifestyle areas. If the characters remember to bring it along they should get the bonus.
Kagetenshi
Shock-lock ammo is in Cannon Companion, is only available for shotguns, and reduces the barrier rating by half for the purposes of... hm. Well, I'd think that it'd just be for the purposes of determining damage against the door, but it doesn't actually say that, so you could make an argument that it halves the barrier rating permanently through majykal powerz. Against targets other than doors, they just act as explosive rounds.

~J
hobgoblin
i have it most likely backwards but at times its seems like you first double tha barrier rating and then half it, bringing it back to normal. like say when you use shock-lock ammo, its a firearms attack against a barrier so the barrier goes double, then it gets halved by virtue of the type of ammo your useing...
Reaver
QUOTE (Voran)
Just a quick question regarding use of Lockbuster type shotgun ammo in an SR setting. (Thanks to Raygun's firearms site!) At the moment I don't have Cannon Comp, though thankfully with the reprinting I was able to order one, should get here in a few days.

From what I gather in normal 3.0 sr rules, you can't bust through a door unless you take its barrier rating down to half what it used to be. Anyone have better rules on how to handle 'called shots' as it were, against door locks or hinges with lockbuster type shells?

Has tech advanced enough in SR that the only time using lockbuster type ammo is against barrens/street/low rating lifestyle settings, or is it still viable on your 'typical' middle lifestyle door?

Unless it's a really heavy reinforced door, just have 'em blow the hinges/lock off and save yourself the headache.
Nikoli
The Lock-shock ammo is a shaped charge, what would that do to a car?
Reaver
QUOTE (Nikoli)
The Lock-shock ammo is a shaped charge, what would that do to a car?

Depends. Such ammo is designed to be used at point blank range as it's usually compressed zinc powder. It dissipates pretty quickly after even a mere meter. At point blank it might put an impressive hole in the skin, but wouldn't do much damage on the other side. At leats that's my impression.
gknoy
QUOTE (Jpwoo)
I would say that in terms of doors called shots for hinges and locks don't really apply, this is just crammed into the barrier rating, which is why doors normally have lower barrier ratings than walls.

I disagree. The fact that locks are blowable seems to be happy cincidence. wink.gif

Most doors have a barrier lower rating than walls (excepting security doors, fire doors, etc, probably) because they are thinner and weaker overall. I'm sure the strength or lack of hinges and locks has little bearing:

Your average indoor residential wall is about 4-5 inches thick, with two layers of drywall on the outside, and a structure of 2x4's inside. The 2x4's are spaced about a foot or 1.5 feet apart, IIRC.

Your average indoor residential door is made of very thin plywood. You could probably kick a hole through it quite easily, and a shotgun would almost certainly make a small porthole (or large, depending on distance smile.gif). It's not a piece of cake, but it's much weaker than the wall itself.

What about outside doors? They're a little more sturdy. Sometimes they're solid, like oak, but often they aren't.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012