Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about Technomancers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ShadowWalker
So under the description of how a Technomancer works they have a built in Sim Module that converts all the digital mayhem they get into something usable, just like the electronic sim module that others use in their comlinks.

So my question is, could a Technomancer with the immersion ability Skinlink use it act like trodes? Using the Bionode as the equivalent to the comlink everyone else would connect to.
The brain is nothing more than an electro-chemical machine. The trodes/sim module detect the electrical signals in the brain
and interpret them in both directions. Just wrap the arms/hands around the persons head and away you go.

At the very least I would think someone with a datajack would be vulnerable to
some kind of attack from a Technomancer that could touch it.

Just a thought...

ShadowWalker
Udoshi
Actually, uh

See the Resonance Trodes echo. Its a few pages past skinlink, in the Advanced Echoes section.
Yerameyahu
Hehe. I love it when the answer to a question is already right there. smile.gif We just had a thread about what Res Trodes actually *does*, though.
ShadowWalker
Strange I missed that particular echo. Would think that skin link would be enough to connect to a person with a datajack though.
Yerameyahu
It is. If their datajack is skinlinked. However, it's not clear whether that would let you just access their PAN as normal (as if hacking wired/wireless), as opposed to functioning as Resonance Trodes (with their unique 'mental attack' power). I would say no, or any Technomancer could do that to anyone just by hacking their *real* trodes/DNI.

As you can read in the Resonance Trodes thread, the whole thing is a vague mess, really.
Karoline
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 4 2010, 05:16 PM) *
It is. If their datajack is skinlinked. However, it's not clear whether that would let you just access their PAN as normal (as if hacking wired/wireless), as opposed to functioning as Resonance Trodes (with their unique 'mental attack' power). I would say no, or any Technomancer could do that to anyone just by hacking their *real* trodes/DNI.

As you can read in the Resonance Trodes thread, the whole thing is a vague mess, really.

Wouldn't need to be skinlinked, as anything a TM touches becomes skinlinked (If they want and they have the skinlink echo), but other than that, yeah, it couldn't act like resonance trodes and force someone to use them, but they might be able to act as regular trodes for a person, and use themselves as the person's commlink, or they could just act as trodes to connect the person to their own commlink.

It's kind of iffy, and would have to be something the person did willingly... Still very iffy.

I think it might work if it is possible for someone to use DNI to connect to a trode (without actually wearing it) and still get the benefit of the trode... then again, a trode is just a DNI.
Yerameyahu
Oh, yes. I was thinking he meant touch their *skin* to access their datajack; even for a Skinlink Technomancer, I don't think that would work.

The main thing is that Resonance Trodes clearly does something regular trodes *don't*. I can't 'drag someone's mind into (somewhere)' and blackhammer it with normal trodes. There are brainwashing tech options, but AFAIK normal gear doesn't do that, right? To me, that is a wholly unique power of the Resonance Trodes ability. I agree that normal, voluntary, DNI-equivalent effects would work fine with just Skinlink, because that's their whole point.
Jaid
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 4 2010, 06:53 PM) *
Oh, yes. I was thinking he meant touch their *skin* to access their datajack; even for a Skinlink Technomancer, I don't think that would work.

The main thing is that Resonance Trodes clearly does something regular trodes *don't*. I can't 'drag someone's mind into (somewhere)' and blackhammer it with normal trodes. There are brainwashing tech options, but AFAIK normal gear doesn't do that, right? To me, that is a wholly unique power of the Resonance Trodes ability. I agree that normal, voluntary, DNI-equivalent effects would work fine with just Skinlink, because that's their whole point.

actually, you pretty much can do that with regular trodes. the difference is that you're going to have to actually put the trodes on someone properly for you to do it, at which point you probably have them already tied up or otherwise restrained, in which case you could just shoot them in the head with a bullet. in comparison, you can resonance trodes someone to death by shaking their hand, which is much more versatile.
Yerameyahu
Really? Why wouldn't the wearer have the control? I thought that was precisely what PAB units are for.
Jaid
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 4 2010, 09:12 PM) *
Really? Why wouldn't the wearer have the control?

trodes just transmit information. you don't activate your trodes to go into simsense, you activate the sim module. so if you take a slightly tweaked sim module and use it to send data to the trodes, the trodes will do exactly what they always do, which is transmit the data. for obvious reasons, the trodes can't be turned on and off using mental commands (the obvious reason being if the trodes are turned off, you can't give them a mental command to turn on, so it has to be a manual control).

you would have to modify the sim module somewhat so that it doesn't accept mental commands to turn off or on (or at least, not if it's sent from the trodes you're sticking on the person's head), but that would be a simple software modification.
Yerameyahu
Okay. That's basically what I meant by 'non-standard equipment'. If you just slapped trodes from a normal commlink on someone, they'd be in control of the commlink, is what I was saying. smile.gif Cool, thanks.
Jaid
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 4 2010, 08:21 PM) *
Okay. That's basically what I meant by 'non-standard equipment'. If you just slapped trodes from a normal commlink on someone, they'd be in control of the commlink, is what I was saying. smile.gif Cool, thanks.

well, most likely, but that's a feature of the commlink, not the trodes. and it wouldn't be all that non-standard to change it... after all, a commlink simply contains a node, and other people can access that node, but do not gain control of it. as such, it is entirely possible to be connected to a commlink and not have control over it, and in fact it's quite routine... it's just not routine to have trodes running directly between you and a commlink and you not controlling the commlink.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012