Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Screenshots
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2
Adarael
I thought there was already a Deus Ex Human Revolution trailer, but I guess it got archived or something.

Deus Ex Screenshots on Kotaku

Seriously, these fill me with such hope for the game that it boggles the mind. The cyber-renaissance style that hearkens to Blade Runner and both of Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell films has me completely sold, because they're really what I think cyberpunk should look like: retro thrown into the ultra-modern, with everything crumbling.
Mr. Mage
I think #3 is my favorite...

Knock knock!
Who's there?
FIST-BLADE!
Tanegar
Screenshots hold literally no meaning whatsoever for me. It's very, very easy anymore to make a game that looks amazing. Making a game that is amazing... that's a little trickier. You want to sell me on DX:HR, show me a playable demo.
Adarael
Well, sure. As I said in the prior thread, however: visual style is *very* important to me. The fact that they got it right - regardless of the actual quality of the textures, polycount of the models, etc - is a huge plus. The visual language of a game - the coherence of industrial design, clothing concepting, lighting styles, etc - these are all things that many, many games do completely wrong and cause them to be condemned to feel very average. I think a perfect example of that is if you compare BioShock to Singularity. Bioshock has very nearly no 'innovative' gameplay mechanics; they've all shown up in earlier games. But the visual language of the game is so striking that you have a much more endearing experience with the game than you do in Singularity, despite Singularity being newer and technically "more advanced."

Edit: not quite 'well, sure'. It's actually pretty hard to make a game that looks amazing, even with the great tools we have now. It still takes a lot of work. However, it's pretty simple to make a game that looks amazing but has crap gameplay, because graphics are *all* you cared about.
Wounded Ronin
See, I feel like graphics are primarily a distraction from gameplay.
Karoline
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Aug 8 2010, 11:44 AM) *
See, I feel like graphics are primarily a distraction from gameplay.

As someone put it today when talking about the sequel to a game (don't remember which) 'The first thing they had listed was 'vastly improved graphics' and I was just thinking "Yeah, but how is the gameplay."'

I'd have to agree with this. Alot of my favorite games are ones that don't look that spectacular, but have very solid gameplay. Now, maybe when they came out they had fairly high end graphics, but by today's standards, they aren't good enough for a free game, but that doesn't matter because the gameplay itself rocks.
Blade
Graphics aren't a distraction from gameplay. Good graphics are great for immersion and sometimes even gameplay.
But "good graphics" doesn't mean "latest-generation 3d effects".

Dreamweb had simple yet terrific graphics that helped immersion. The smoothness of the moves in Prince of Persia or Flashback helped the gameplay: it was easier to time correctly your jump in Flashback than in platformer with choppy movements.
LBA/Relentless had very good graphics... and still does! They just designed the world so that it could be rendered with the limited processing power that was available back then.
Outcast looked great (if pixellated) and the great graphics helped the immersion on the exotic planet the story took place.
I've played Dreamfall recently and even though the graphics weren't as complex as in more recent games, some of them are still to me some of the best I've ever seen in a game because of the direction and setting. Compared to its prequel, The Longuest Journey, the immersion is greater thanks to these graphics (but it's true the gameplay suffered a bit).
Voran
Screenshots are misleading. Like "OMG these Crysis screenshots are amazing!" which turns into "OMG it took me two years after Crysis came out to be able to play it on an affordable rig!"
Karoline
QUOTE (Blade @ Aug 9 2010, 05:33 AM) *
Graphics aren't a distraction from gameplay. Good graphics are great for immersion and sometimes even gameplay.

Didn't say they were a distraction, I'm just saying that many games focus more on pretty graphics than gameplay, and generally if the main thing you are touting is the great new graphics, then it might be because it doesn't have great new gameplay. I'd prefer a game with poor graphics and great gameplay over a game with great graphics and poor gameplay any day.

QUOTE (Voran @ Aug 9 2010, 06:54 AM) *
Screenshots are misleading. Like "OMG these Crysis screenshots are amazing!" which turns into "OMG it took me two years after Crysis came out to be able to play it on an affordable rig!"

I suppose I was fairly rare in being able to play mine with the computer that I already had which was a few years old and wasn't even cutting edge when it had last been upgraded. I ran the game on high till I started hitting that ice, then I had to knock stuff down some. From what I can tell, not having windows Vista/7 was a huge benefit because every game I've ever seen has nearly double requirements to play on Vista/7 over XP.
Xahn Borealis
Apparently this game is a prequel, set before the invention of nanotechnology. Which leads me to guess that the cloak works by magic, then? Still, I always wanted to see more of the 'mechs' as cyber-augmented individuals were called in the first game. Also, if you've seen the trailer, then you now know the official definition of Street Samurai, at least in terms of physical ability.
Tanegar
Why would the cloak have to work by magic?
Karoline
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Aug 12 2010, 05:15 PM) *

Because in the original Deus Ex it worked via nanotechnology, which hasn't been invented yet (Edit: Or likely has, but hasn't had a chance to be implemented). There was however camo armor (Expendable item) that did the same thing as I recall, so I don't see that it was something that had to work by nanotechnology, and don't see why cloak would have to work by magic.
Martin_DeVries_Institute
We have very very very rudimentary forms of the cloak now; I could imagine that in ~16 years (the timeframe of the game IIRC) we could have something like what they've got, especially if they've come so far with augment technology.
Karoline
QUOTE (Martin_DeVries_Institute @ Aug 12 2010, 11:18 PM) *
We have very very very rudimentary forms of the cloak now; I could imagine that in ~16 years (the timeframe of the game IIRC) we could have something like what they've got, especially if they've come so far with augment technology.

Do we? The best I've seen is regular cammo (which can work really well in the right terrain). Other than that I saw an interview with someone that was working on 'cloak' but he was basically in "This is how I want it to work." stages, and how he wants it to work is something that most of us could have likely told him ten years ago (Lots of tiny cameras and video screens on the armor). Funny part was he did a demonstration with one camera/video screen (12" size or so), but had the camera set poorly so when he walked behind the guy testing it, the screen didn't look anything like it should have.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Karoline @ Aug 12 2010, 11:44 PM) *
Because in the original Deus Ex it worked via nanotechnology, which hasn't been invented yet (Edit: Or likely has, but hasn't had a chance to be implemented). There was however camo armor (Expendable item) that did the same thing as I recall, so I don't see that it was something that had to work by nanotechnology, and don't see why cloak would have to work by magic.

Saying "it works by nanotechnology" is a little like saying a gun works by chemistry and metallurgy. While technically true, it doesn't actually describe anything.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Aug 13 2010, 03:01 AM) *
Saying "it works by nanotechnology" is a little like saying a gun works by chemistry and metallurgy. While technically true, it doesn't actually describe anything.

Yeah, "it works by nanotechnology" might as well say "it works by magic".

QUOTE (Karoline @ Aug 12 2010, 10:52 PM) *
Do we? The best I've seen is regular cammo (which can work really well in the right terrain). Other than that I saw an interview with someone that was working on 'cloak' but he was basically in "This is how I want it to work." stages, and how he wants it to work is something that most of us could have likely told him ten years ago (Lots of tiny cameras and video screens on the armor). Funny part was he did a demonstration with one camera/video screen (12" size or so), but had the camera set poorly so when he walked behind the guy testing it, the screen didn't look anything like it should have.

Well here's some pleasant smooth jazz that shows the fruits of Japanese research in the subject.
And in case you think that's mere techno-wizard-video-editing, here's a piece from the news with Katie Couric making the requisite "Harry Potter' references. Sadly this one has no video of the actual technology, just her admitting her science ignorance and talking about Claude Rains. Still. We have rudimentary technology that allows for the type of refinement we see in the DE:HR era.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Aug 12 2010, 11:15 PM) *

Because you failed your Perception test to spot my sarcasm. Let's see if it happens again.

[ Spoiler ]
Demonseed Elite
New game footage
Martin_DeVries_Institute
Oh Jay thank you, you've made me the happiest girl at the ball!
That moment at 1:20... oh wow... I so want to do that in-game...
Tanegar
Fancy moves. Makes me wonder if it's actually possible through the interface. By my count, all the actual "gameplay" in that movie is behind-the-sights gunplay. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I'm just saying they still haven't show us anything that you couldn't do in the original Deus Ex.
Voran
Yknow, some of that reminded me of the Chronicles of Riddick, escape from butcher bay game. Which is kinda a good thing. CoR was actually a pretty decent game, stealth kills, melee combat with counters. It was a little unpolished and buggy, but the overall sense was nice.
Thanee
Nice, this looks pretty cool. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
LurkerOutThere
I was fairly psyched until I heard the whole prequel thing. I guess they had to do something to avoid the elephant in the room that was invisible war. But couldn't they just have Highlander 2'd it?
Xahn Borealis
I'm going to say something now which may provoke outrage.

I played Invisible War first, and liked it more than the original.

*dives for cover*

Seriously, what was wrong with the plot in IW? Made sense to me.
Voran
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Aug 14 2010, 12:04 PM) *
I'm going to say something now which may provoke outrage.

I played Invisible War first, and liked it more than the original.

*dives for cover*

Seriously, what was wrong with the plot in IW? Made sense to me.

The Plot of IW was fine, I didn't actually think the story was too bad. My annoyance with the game was it took the great foundations of its first version, and then ...hell...I don't quite know how to describe it, went a completely different route.

In hindsight, if they didn't try at ALL to link it to Deus Ex, it could have been a good game on its own, a nice little cyberpunkish game in a vastly open market, while we got a Deus Ex 2 that built on the strengths of the 1st game.

Its risky changing format of a game series. It doesn't always work out. Fallout did it (my opinion) surprisingly well. COnsidering how fanatic I was about the first 2, I took the change to a FPS RPG rather well, enjoyed it, and am looking forward to New Vegas. Farcry on the other hand, didn't do so well. 1st game was awesome, 2nd game was...wtf...third game became crysis and I was happy again, once I had a rig that could actually yknow...play it.

This new DX game looks like its changing things up yet again. As I mentioned in a earlier post, the gameplay clips make me think Chronicles of Riddick escape from Butcher's bay, which I liked, so I'm willing to roll with. But if this version doesn't do well, I'm not so sure about the series continuing, cause it'll have changed format so many times that people don't care.

hobgoblin
heh, seems IW have the same problem as CP3 have. Its a ok game on its own, but being linked to something that for some are a genre defining game makes it a stinker.

as DX3 will be a console game (with a pc port) i suspect much of the fancy moves happens on the press of a "fancy move" button.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 15 2010, 03:25 PM) *
as DX3 will be a console game (with a pc port) i suspect much of the fancy moves happens on the press of a "fancy move" button.

My money's on assignable buttons, chosen from a dropdown menu. Hold on a minute...
Blade
@Xahn : While I won't say I liked IW more than the original, I have to admit I enjoyed it and I prefer IW's combat to Deus Ex.
DocTaotsu
I will note that after thoroughly enjoying Assassin's Creed 2 I have no problem with the utilization of a contextual "fancy move" button.

If I can stand next to a wall, tap said button and punch someone to death on the other side... I'm okay with that.
Xahn Borealis
I've got the impression that fancy moves are purchasable as augmentations. I.e. You buy your stabbing mod, your catching-grenades aug, your grappling hook arm mod. I just hope there's enough fancy moves to keep a level of variety. I could definitely get bored of pressing my context sensitive button every time I'm behind a mook who doesn't know I'm there.
Karoline
QUOTE (Martin_DeVries_Institute @ Aug 13 2010, 12:37 PM) *
Well here's some pleasant smooth jazz that shows the fruits of Japanese research in the subject.
And in case you think that's mere techno-wizard-video-editing, here's a piece from the news with Katie Couric making the requisite "Harry Potter' references. Sadly this one has no video of the actual technology, just her admitting her science ignorance and talking about Claude Rains. Still. We have rudimentary technology that allows for the type of refinement we see in the DE:HR era.

I'm... highly dubious of that video, even with the news report (Which I will need to borrow someone's computer to hear, stupid sound) to back it up. It seems to have the magical ability to know what it is and isn't supposed to hide.

I won't go into how it seems to defy physics, because I don't know how it operates and don't know physics well enough. I will say however that while bending light is possible, it generally requires a sun or black hole. I'll have to watch those with sound and see if there is any explanation of how it functions.

P.S. way more willing to believe the rain jacket than the sphere/block which I am willing to believe more than the mirror.

Edit:
This technology involves neither chroma-keying nor photoshopping but is "quasi-invisivility" using a specific fabric and projector.

That explains it. The entire time I was sitting there thinking "It looks so much like they're just standing in front of a projector." So yeah, that doesn't have any sort of real spy type application if you have to set up some big projector to use it. So yeah, Physics obeyed.
KarmaInferno
The upshot is that they hope to eventually replace the projector with actual video display fabric, when that tech becomes more developed.

The final results are less likely to be an "invisibility cloak" than a really effective method of breaking up your silhouette, which is really what optical camouflage is all about.

QUOTE (Martin_DeVries_Institute @ Aug 13 2010, 06:37 PM) *
here's a piece from the news with Katie Couric making the requisite "Harry Potter' references

Well, she's on very thin ice. Cookie-flavoured cookie machine for reference.
Voran
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Aug 17 2010, 01:11 PM) *
Well, she's on very thin ice. Cookie-flavoured cookie machine for reference.

Mm. I want to do the same thing with Katie as I would with cookies. Sorta.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Voran @ Aug 18 2010, 06:48 AM) *

Pure poppycock.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Voran @ Aug 18 2010, 12:48 AM) *

Eh. When it comes to petite, pixieish women, I call dibs on Kristin Chenoweth. Rowr.
Xahn Borealis
So no one can imagine that report above to a TUNE? As though she was AUTOmatically singing it?
almost normal
Fallout 3 held the fallout universe up as much as the 360/PC Shadowrun game held up the Shadowrun universe. So please don't go that route.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Aug 19 2010, 03:29 PM) *
Eh. When it comes to petite, pixieish women, I call dibs on Kristin Chenoweth. Rowr.

Heh, I'd have thought on this forum someone would mention Misty Mundae.
nezumi
QUOTE (almost normal @ Aug 28 2010, 02:12 PM) *
Fallout 3 held the fallout universe up as much as the 360/PC Shadowrun game held up the Shadowrun universe. So please don't go that route.

How can you say that? All of the equipment in Fallout 3 matched (in regards to type and capabilities) the equipment from 1 & 2. The locations seem to match, thematically. The races translated over fine. The only thing that might be questionable is that the Brotherhood of Steel is a nation-spanning organization. As opposed to the Shadowrun game which actively violated the core rules of magic, violated the timeline, and violated its fans.
Dumori
QUOTE (nezumi @ Aug 30 2010, 01:42 PM) *
How can you say that? All of the equipment in Fallout 3 matched (in regards to type and capabilities) the equipment from 1 & 2. The locations seem to match, thematically. The races translated over fine. The only thing that might be questionable is that the Brotherhood of Steel is a nation-spanning organization. As opposed to the Shadowrun game which actively violated the core rules of magic, violated the timeline, and violated its fans.

How every the Brotherhood of Steel has semi canonically sent out groups feather afield than the west cost before Fallout 3. So it's not completely out there plus they have been out of contact for a while to say the least. Also both factions east cost are quite different from the West coast BoS (well they are to too competing ideologies after a schism; I recall hints of that kind of split goal in 1&2 it's certainly there in the tactics game that is slightly less cannon).

But yes the latest Shadowrun game is really rather badly done as a Shadowrun game it was a "Oh shit so much cannon FUCK IT ALL!" reaction they said it them selves though in nice terms.
WyldKnight
For me this new Deus Ex is a god sent. The game hasn't exactly...aged well graphics wise. Now don't get me wrong it's still fun but unlike 8 bit or cell shaded graphics which even when their old still kinda keep their charm these early attempts at graphics actually make my eyes hurt and I can't play them for long before I have to go rest them. Even if this game ends up being a clone of the first Deus Ex with better graphics I won't complain because now I can play it without pain.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Dumori @ Aug 30 2010, 03:54 PM) *
But yes the latest Shadowrun game is really rather badly done as a Shadowrun game it was a "Oh shit so much cannon FUCK IT ALL!" reaction they said it them selves though in nice terms.

They actually tried to give an excuse? As though that would make it all better?
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (WyldKnight @ Aug 30 2010, 04:04 PM) *
For me this new Deus Ex is a god sent. The game hasn't exactly...aged well graphics wise. Now don't get me wrong it's still fun but unlike 8 bit or cell shaded graphics which even when their old still kinda keep their charm these early attempts at graphics actually make my eyes hurt and I can't play them for long before I have to go rest them. Even if this game ends up being a clone of the first Deus Ex with better graphics I won't complain because now I can play it without pain.

I dunno, man. Warren Spector grew up in New York City and Deus Ex still has the best and most atmospheric NYC I've ever seen in a game. I get all emotional and nostalgic over NYC when I play Deus Ex.

I still love that game.

"I wanted orhange, it gave me lemon lime."

"It's the maintenance man, he knows I like orhange."
WyldKnight
Funny enough I just moved to Brooklyn for school and am now looking for a new Shadowrun group. It's not that it isn't good, it's just my eyes hurt when i look at it for too long. A problem I have with all games with those graphics so it's nothing against Deus Ex. Damn, I want this to come out soon so I can enjoy it for as long as possible.
Kagetenshi
I guess it's time to once again complain about Deus Ex's lack of dynamic lighting. I don't know how many times I drowned in some remote corner of a flooded tunnel because the artists didn't put in "lit" textures, making my eye-lights useless for finding my way back out.

~J
Demonseed Elite
Want some new trailers? Sure you do.

A New Man trailer

Phoenix Trailer (Japanese)
Critias
It doesn't even have to be a video game. They could just make this into a movie, and I'd buy it.
hobgoblin
Humanity plus cubed, ouch.

Love their spider-style riot control robot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012