Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unsolved Mysteries #2
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Acme
(My standard Disclaimer:

One big NOTE: This isn't a wheedling plea to people like Hardy and Adam for explanations or an accusation that they screwed up on x plot point. I appreciate the hard work that everyone who's ever penned the game has put in and understand the difficulties that it takes. If someone who works/worked on Shadowrun WANTS to give a "official" explanation, great. Or they can put their own speculation in. biggrin.gif It's all for fun.
SECOND NOTE: If the Unsolved Mysteries have in fact been explained, please provide reference, not just go "This already got solved!" I may own a LOT of the books, but maybe there's one I didn't get to yet. Danke schoen.)

There have been a few dozen things that just seem to have blipped off the radar here and there, either never to be brought up again or just simply shelved. The obvious answer is change in direction for the game due to new staff shuffling in and out, and frankly 20 years of canon will cause many a headache of loose ends and frayed edges. Just ask any Trekkie. There have been three major causes of UM: The end of FASA, the sweeping of 3e storylines due to System Failure/4e, and the recent financial problems making many freelancers quit.

Will they get worked out? I don't know. Maybe some of them were left intentionally vague in order for enterprising GMs to work out in their own games, or for future freelancers to gather together for their proposals. But that's what this thread series is about. The chance for we 'Runners to discuss and speculate about those things that are unsolved. If anything, it makes for a good collection for theories and explanations.

Since the Nadja Daviar one seemed to provide quite a good discussion, I present another recent Unsolved Mystery of the Sixth World:

Art Dankwalther's Money.

As most of us know, Mr. Dankwalther received 34.5 billion UCAS Dollars from Dunklezahn's will. For five years he spent it on the high life and also working out a personal vendetta against Richard Villiers, through corporate raiding of Novatech, eating two other Megacorps on his way up. (One happened to be the AA Gunderson Corporation, well known in Cyberpirates and the main bad guy in the "novel" Shadowboxer, causing J.J. Harvin to move over to Aztech with what was left.) He then focused his energy on fracturing Novatech, causing the IPO that leads to System Failure. This is not to lament him, he got a full and interesting storyline that ended with a nasty Thor Shot right to his cranium.

But what happened to his cash? The Omega Order did mess with his assets and Novatech did a hostile takeover on most of them. But that's largely his holdings, and theoretically his estate would still have benefited from the actual taking over. Also, you can't assume he dumped all 34 billion into his project, and he would have made a lot of money being a shark in order to work his next level up. He would have to have socked away a reserve in case his current scheme didn't work out. Even say, putting away a billion or two to live off of and have in reserve.

So, let's assume the other 33 billion and later assets were seized by Novatech and the Corporate Court in general when they Thored him. (That's my biggest thought is that the money just went into the CC and got split up, with Villiers bitching for the lion's share.) Would Art have left a will himself or instructions to divide up his estate? Or did he leave some other projects cooking on the side in case he got blowback from his scheme?

While a billion wouldn't really tweak with a AAA or some higher governments, it could still have severe ramifications for everything else below that..

Thoughts?
CanRay
Well, it all depends on how he had that money.

If it was in cash or valuables, then it could be anywhere, including decimated by a Thor Shot.

If it's in stocks, then the Corporations might just be trucking along not even realizing their major shareholder is dead. There are still some Fuchi Orphans around after all.

If it's in the hands of various lawyers/fixers/ex-lovers around the world, waiting for Richard Villiers to let his guard down, waiting to strike at any moment... devil.gif
Martin_DeVries_Institute
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 6 2010, 05:06 PM) *
If it's in the hands of various lawyers/fixers/ex-lovers around the world, waiting for Richard Villiers to let his guard down, waiting to strike at any moment... devil.gif

Which raises another question. Art had (in his mind, anyway) an ironclad reason for going after Villiers and messing with him. If he was smart enough to leave some of his money behind to continue striking at Villiers from beyond the grave, then good for him... but would the people in charge of those assets care enough to actually do it? These various fixers/lawyers/whomever don't have the burning urge for revenge that Dankwalther did; are they going to put their necks on the line to strike at one of the most slippery and resilient corporate personae of the Sixth World?
Maybe some of that money has been "misappropriated" to fund whatever pet causes those people have, instead...
Abstruse
Please note that $34 billion UCAS is under ¥9 billion. A lot, but not enough to take out a AAA. He probably made more after he took out the A and AA he used as target practice though, and I'm betting most of that was put into the most conservative investments he could get his hands on that he could easily liquidate. I'd put good money that at least a tenth of it was in bearer bonds to kill any attempted trace of his activities, which would be a very nice little score if someone could find them.
Acme
Wonder if he put it into metals. Given six years since he popped it, you could imagine the increase of even a million UCAS dollars in platinum or gold would prove to be an interesting find. You'd have to think that Art wouldn't have holed out in his main place when they blew him, so that means his main house might have 2-3 million UCAS bucks in metals in its basement... Or maybe in Swiss or Carib League banks. (Which would make a quite interesting idea for someone doing a Geneva run during the technomancer siege..)
Daylen
if its an oh shit stash we're talking about then its probably a mix of metal, cash (of various nations) corp scrip, electronic dollars, and real assets not bonds or stocks. If it was me I'd have multiple stashes with monies and useful gear gear for runners and lots of communication gear. Vehicles of the fast kind could be useful as well. Why this mix? easy. If shit hits the fan and its time for plans L through Z then its probably time for immediate flight or fight followed by hiding and new planning.
CanRay
Yeah, too bad he couldn't outrun a Thor Shot, now, could he?

"Don't play Dodge The Bullet... Unless you're really good!" - Red Green.
Daylen
seems he wasn't as awesome as he thought.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Acme @ Aug 7 2010, 06:05 AM) *
(Which would make a quite interesting idea for someone doing a Geneva run during the technomancer siege..)

now thats a place i want to know more about, the writeup so far have been limited.

hell, i wonder what puck got mixed up in.
CanRay
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 7 2010, 03:52 PM) *

I wonder if he glowed blue on a pass, and red on a shot on goal, myself. nyahnyah.gif
Daylen
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 7 2010, 08:52 PM) *
now thats a place i want to know more about, the writeup so far have been limited.

Hockey.
Acme
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 7 2010, 01:52 PM) *

Well if the implications in Corp Guide are correct, what's left of him is probably floating in a beaker right now...
Sengir
QUOTE (Acme @ Aug 7 2010, 04:05 AM) *
Wonder if he put it into metals.

He was a corp raider and not some "the world is going to end" nutter, why would he use something immobile as metals? wink.gif

The idea of some funds to strike at Villiers from the grave sound interesting, though. Art could expect to become the victim of random gang violence at any time, so it would really have made sense for him to take precautions.
Acme
QUOTE (Sengir @ Aug 8 2010, 05:59 AM) *
He was a corp raider and not some "the world is going to end" nutter, why would he use something immobile as metals? wink.gif

The idea of some funds to strike at Villiers from the grave sound interesting, though. Art could expect to become the victim of random gang violence at any time, so it would really have made sense for him to take precautions.

Now now, not everyone who invests in metals is a nutter. Metals can often be more mobile than other investments, especially if you're holding certificates and not actual bullion. He could have diversified his investments, keeping some of them out of the stock market in case his assets got seized or the company he invested in went under because of his manipulations.
CanRay
The thing about investing in metals is that Gold will always be GOLD. Banks fail, governments fall, but gold... Gold is always gold.

Or, if you don't mind something that isn't as portable, but will be much more useful in a "Oh drek, the world has gone TOTALLY to hell!" then Iron and Steel are better choices.
EKBT81
Well, some of Art's money might have "disappeared" by way of expired options, I guess he also used a lot of assets as collateral for leveraged transactions. Those assets were probably seized by the banks after his demise.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Acme @ Aug 8 2010, 10:01 AM) *
Well if the implications in Corp Guide are correct, what's left of him is probably floating in a beaker right now...

crap, time to go page hunting again.

ouch, this is going to be nasty...
Sengir
QUOTE (Acme @ Aug 8 2010, 05:46 PM) *
Now now, not everyone who invests in metals is a nutter. Metals can often be more mobile than other investments, especially if you're holding certificates and not actual bullion. He could have diversified his investments, keeping some of them out of the stock market in case his assets got seized or the company he invested in went under because of his manipulations.

Investing in raw materials from oil and gold to grain is a good idea, but guys who keep physical gold stashed in their cellars (for the sake of stashing money, not bling bling) are a different story. The main disadvantage for Artie would be that you can buy stocks with gold mine shares or a loan using physical gold as a collateral, but you can't walk into UCAS National Bank with a jack full of bullion bars and say "hey, I'd like to buy some Novatech stock". Which sucks if you want to wage a financial war against Novatech...
hobgoblin
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 8 2010, 07:51 PM) *
The thing about investing in metals is that Gold will always be GOLD. Banks fail, governments fall, but gold... Gold is always gold.

except if your in south america, where gold is tableware and jade is the thing to have.

btw, gold because the currency token of choice for it not rusting, being rare (at the time of hand tools) and being a soft metal (easy to melt, reshape and so on). Other then that, gold holds no special "power" that makes it especially valuable.
Daylen
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 8 2010, 10:01 PM) *
except if your in south america, where gold is tableware and jade is the thing to have.

btw, gold because the currency token of choice for it not rusting, being rare (at the time of hand tools) and being a soft metal (easy to melt, reshape and so on). Other then that, gold holds no special "power" that makes it especially valuable.

oh silly sod yes it does! although its current price is a fair amount above its industrial price. The not rusting and being easy to work and melt along with its conductivity and optical properties make it very useful in many technologies.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 8 2010, 09:48 PM) *
crap, time to go page hunting again.

ouch, this is going to be nasty...

Read the lead-in regarding MCT's writeup.
Kraegor
What ever happened to the billions of dollars of gold inside fort knox? Thats what I wanna know.
CanRay
QUOTE (Kraegor @ Aug 8 2010, 10:01 PM) *
What ever happened to the billions of dollars of gold inside fort knox? Thats what I wanna know.

Well, it's in the UCAS... But it's really close to the CAS too.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Aug 9 2010, 02:58 AM) *
Read the lead-in regarding MCT's writeup.

the second line is directly related to me reading it wink.gif

tho the claim that puck is by now spare parts in a vat is perhaps a bit premature.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 9 2010, 11:51 AM) *

tho the claim that puck is by now spare parts in a vat is perhaps a bit premature.

I was rather inebriated when I read your post and in a mood to be incredibly helpful. nyahnyah.gif

The Rose Garden project sounds incredibly scary.
Acme
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 9 2010, 04:51 AM) *

Well, I was gleaning that from the "silver thorn is to be harvested" at the end of MCT.

Anywho, back to topic?
Fatum
*Thread Necromancy used!*

You know, I can't understand one thing about Puck. See: he's a White (and thus a mass killer) and he's a traitor, who betrayed first humanity, and then Deus. Oh, and he also played a nice major role in the Crash (thus being a mass murderer again, if only an accomplice).

Why the hell was he invited to Jackpoint? Not just that, why wasn't he shot on sight like a rabid dog he was?
CanRay
Maybe FastJack believes in redemption?

And, frankly, let's look at a few others on the JackPoint.

There's Kane, wanted for mass murder in quite a few countries (Aztlan being the only legit one, he was rescuing his former flight partner) and is an unabashed pirate. Piracy is still a Death Sentence in a lot of countries.

Then there's Butcher, who sells body parts for money without batting an eye.

There's Frosty, who is an Immortal Elf (Although a young one.). Not quite a dragon, but still...

And how many people on the JackPoint shoot people in the face for money?

Before NetCat and Clockwork had their spats, he was the lowest ranking member on JackPoint, and unlike to have gotten anyone's help or support whatsoever. But, he was a self-confessed member of the Dues Crew, and had information about it that he shared of his own free will. (At least, I don't think FastJack was next to him, crushing toes with a hammer until the truth got out.).
Fatum
Yeah, there are some fun people on Jackpoint, but they are all still highly experienced shadowrunners and/or are deeply in the know.
Puck is just a dangerous nobody with a murderous past.
CanRay
Being apart of the Dues Crew, and having gotten out before Crash 2.0, puts him as one of those "In the know", and possibly almost a metahuman being.
Fatum
Uh. He moved from Crew Deus directly into Crew Ex Pacis, you know. Planted a Jormungand egg in the Boston Stock Exchange host during the AI fight, triggering the collapse and a few thousand flatlines, and all.
Basically, he's as much a Judas as one can possibly be; and what he had info about became irrelevant after the Crash anyway.
CanRay
Well, FastJack saw something. Said so right out in one post in the early books. "Everyone is here for a reason." or something similar. It's his VPN, his rules. What is anyone going to do, try to beat him in Cybercombat?
Fatum
Yep, that's the question I'm asking: what exactly did he see, except for a worthy target for his Black Hammer?
And you're better off tracing FastJack - he's what, in his seventies.
CanRay
He was born in 2000, so, yes.

He also has friends who will come and curb stomp people that try to track them. I can see someone trying to track down FastJack, only to end up in an improvised cell with Bubba the Love Troll paying off an old favor.
Fatum
On that notion - do we know what happened to good ol' Hatchetman?
Drace
Became a cyborg/proto-cyberzombie in the cybertechnology book back aways. He is mentioned in augmentation briefly by FJ, but I can't remember if there is anything in between that talks about him.

And puck was never a dissonant otaku like the rest from what I can remember, haven't read brainscan in ages or the arc arc, but mostly he was a scared kid following the pack (gang mentality gone to 13). Aswell he has more insight into otaku and other crash related events that most of the other jackpointers, aswell as inside info on dissonant technos and matrix phenonenom. Probably knows (well knew depending on how intact he is) a ridiculous amount on renraku.

And hatchetman is appearantly in the tcg according to the sixth world wiki
CanRay
Hatchetman was, indeed, turned into a Cyberzombie. (He's been a cyborg for a long time, since losing his eyes.).

As Cyberzombies have a very short "Best Before" date, he's probably totally out of operation. Too bad, he was a cool guy.

You know, other than FastJack and Kham, are any of the old 'Runners still left? Dodger and Twist?
Fatum
QUOTE (Drace @ Feb 12 2011, 10:03 AM) *
Became a cyborg/proto-cyberzombie in the cybertechnology book back aways. He is mentioned in augmentation briefly by FJ, but I can't remember if there is anything in between that talks about him.
Yep. But he could be the guardian for all we know :3

QUOTE (Drace @ Feb 12 2011, 10:03 AM) *
And puck was never a dissonant otaku like the rest from what I can remember, haven't read brainscan in ages or the arc arc, but mostly he was a scared kid following the pack (gang mentality gone to 13). Aswell he has more insight into otaku and other crash related events that most of the other jackpointers, aswell as inside info on dissonant technos and matrix phenonenom. Probably knows (well knew depending on how intact he is) a ridiculous amount on renraku.
Yep, he was a White, that is, a Deus-affiliated Resonant otaku. I don't think he'd know dissonance echos - he wasn't a an Ex Pacis dissonant, he just betrayed Deus to them.
Renraku - maybe, although, again, not a whole lot - he neither worked for them nor was a part of senior management, so he could know whatever was available from the SCIRE archives, not much else.

Fatum
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 12 2011, 10:16 AM) *
You know, other than FastJack and Kham, are any of the old 'Runners still left? Dodger and Twist?

2XL, Aufheben, Axis Mundi, Baka Dabora, Butch, Clockwork, Ecotope, Ethernaut, Frosty (but of course), Man-of-Many-Names, Orbital DK, Picador, Red Anya, Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!) and Traveler Jones at the very least I'm pretty sure I've seen in 3E books. Of those some, like Frosty, Man-of-Many-Names and Smiling Bandit should be really old now.
CanRay
I was thinking of 1E characters. Kham was part of Sally Tsung's crew. FastJack is... Well, he's FastJack.

Man-of-Many-Names as well, yes. Smiling Bandit, IIRC. The rest? All dead...

I miss Rikki Ratboy.
PoliteMan
Can't recall Clockwork in 3E, Slammo-O! obviously survived from 3rd, Picador was alive but I don't recall her posting while Matador was alive.

And it makes sense that almost everyone from 1E would be dead. 30 years in the shadows should be a death sentence.
CanRay
20-some odd years. But, yeah.

Sure, my Marty Sue... Er... Main character, Jon "Money" Johnson has been in the Shadow Business for 20-years or so, but he also had a building fall on top of him, so...
Fatum
Quit styling on me, old men; Shadowrun is but a couple of years younger than me.
CanRay
Old? Not so old I can't get my scattergun and GET YOU OFF MY LAWN! *Sits back down in rocking chair* Kids today, no respect... The damned Hippies had more respect... And shorter hair...
Megu
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Aug 9 2010, 08:39 AM) *
I was rather inebriated when I read your post and in a mood to be incredibly helpful. nyahnyah.gif

The Rose Garden project sounds incredibly scary.

The name makes me think of Revolutionary Girl Utena and honestly I don't think that makes it any less scary.
Manunancy
Back on topic : Considering the sort of explosive growth of his business Dankwalther pulled out, he was probably leveraging his assets for all they were worth and then some, with a nice load of loans, derivatives and other assorted stock marked voodo to make it tastier. .

Which means that when his schemes finaly blew up in his face, the whole mess tumbled apart like a house of cards, leading to each and every of his assets being seized to pay his creditors - that's almost a built-in effect with that sort of finance shenanigans. You rake in huge piles of cash but the shortage of underlying assets to provide a fundation means even a minor loss will wipe the out.

There might be some bits tucked under some fiscal paradise's rocks, but good luck finding them.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Feb 12 2011, 08:48 AM) *
Can't recall Clockwork in 3E, Slammo-O! obviously survived from 3rd, Picador was alive but I don't recall her posting while Matador was alive.

Picador was the second in command for Matador's unit, and brought the news that he had been killed by delivering the mercenary updates in STOA63.

She was mentioned dead in Arsenal.

Btw, Dodger showed up in System Failure. Not sure if he made it out with his gray matter intact tho.
Drace
I remember seeing a few of picadors posts, but they were pretty infrequent from what I remember. There is also a short that goes on about the whole situation concerning matador's death in one of the earlier sr4 books if I remember right.
CanadianWolverine
The nice thing about dying in the shadows is that unless they have the rotting corpse (and sometimes even if they do) to ID, its just retiring a name and we all know how easy the shadows come by those.

---

Let me get this correct, this fellow who got a new crater dedicated to him, he lived the highest possible orbital jet set life style and was gunning for some high up corporate a-hole? There is no way someone like that doesn't have hidden bunkers and proxies all over the friggin world. Eggs, baskets, hatching, counting, and what not. At least, that would be my take on it and I haven't read any of this fiction, just going off what was in the OP.
CanRay
QUOTE (CanadianWolverine @ Feb 12 2011, 07:46 PM) *
The nice thing about dying in the shadows is that unless they have the rotting corpse (and sometimes even if they do) to ID, its just retiring a name and we all know how easy the shadows come by those.

---

Let me get this correct, this fellow who got a new crater dedicated to him, he lived the highest possible orbital jet set life style and was gunning for some high up corporate a-hole? There is no way someone like that doesn't have hidden bunkers and proxies all over the friggin world. Eggs, baskets, hatching, counting, and what not. At least, that would be my take on it and I haven't read any of this fiction, just going off what was in the OP.

And he probably came out of Crash 2.0 as a Technomancer, too, considering his "Luck".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012