Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mage Cuffs... also concentration checks.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Summerstorm
Hm... well, maybe i have just somehow missed the section... but what happens if you get interupted while casting? Mage Cuffs (which are designed for that) are, i think, the most common cause for that... but also: If someone is faster than the mage and wishes to shoot him exactly when the mage tries to draw mana. What happens? (I know it is hard to do that when casting takes a bit less than a second)

My first instinct would be to have the mage roll a composure (Cha+Will) test with the sustained damage as threshold. But maybe that's just because i am crazy? Maybe Body+Will?

Oh and also the description of the mage cuffs state, that ANY magical activity activates them (Even surrounding activity not originating from the cuffed mage) BUT what is it with calling a spirit, or commanding it? How much connection through the astral plane do you need for that? I think summoning would be out, but i am unsure with calling and commanding. It clearly IS astral activity... but not very strong... maybe it just jumps straight through your aura into the meta planes?

Hm... anyone has some thought for me on that matter?
Summerstorm
Hm.... sorry, shameless bump. Really like to know, though...
Shinobi Killfist
There isn't anything about interrupting a spell by striking them. I don't see an issue with your idea, it seems reasonable.

As for the rest, yes calling and commanding a spirit are magical activities IMO.
Lanlaorn
Well it's come up before and there's no real consensus about it. Do you somehow magically call and command the spirit or is it just a function of the mental link between master and spirit that is always active? Either that link doesn't trigger the mage cuffs and you can call and command the spirit without shocking yourself or the mage cuffs will just constantly go off on you until they run out of charges or you die.

But note: the presence of the spirit will definitely set the cuffs off. So even if you can call and command it, when it appears beside you, you're getting chain shocked.

I wouldn't have getting hit "interrupt" a spell any more then I'd say someone shooting a gun on their turn is "interrupted" by getting shot earlier in the IP but you can do whatever.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Aug 10 2010, 08:36 AM) *
Well it's come up before and there's no real consensus about it. Do you somehow magically call and command the spirit or is it just a function of the mental link between master and spirit that is always active? Either that link doesn't trigger the mage cuffs and you can call and command the spirit without shocking yourself or the mage cuffs will just constantly go off on you until they run out of charges or you die.

But note: the presence of the spirit will definitely set the cuffs off. So even if you can call and command it, when it appears beside you, you're getting chain shocked.

I wouldn't have getting hit "interrupt" a spell any more then I'd say someone shooting a gun on their turn is "interrupted" by getting shot earlier in the IP but you can do whatever.

Yeah, but if you have someone specifically strike to foul a shot, clubbing the gun hand as they line up a shot etc. wouldn't you give some kind of penalty to the shot, maybe have it interrupted entirely. I'd probably keep damage at base DV and say the net hits are oriented towards disrupting the shot/spell not increasing damage. Something like every net hit removes a die from the attackers pool, more net hits than the persons skill and the shot is fouled entirely.
Lanlaorn
Isn't there already a penalty for shooting while in melee combat that's supposed to represent that?

While I agree what you describe sounds realistic maybe you should have the attack do no damage, like how when purposefully attempting to knock someone down you do no damage (without martial arts).
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Aug 10 2010, 01:15 PM) *
Isn't there already a penalty for shooting while in melee combat that's supposed to represent that?

While I agree what you describe sounds realistic maybe you should have the attack do no damage, like how when purposefully attempting to knock someone down you do no damage (without martial arts).

No damage is probably a better idea now that I think about it. My last phys adept had a base 10DV with his punch, that isn't much of a limit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012