Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jaunting through the metaplanes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Badmoodguy88
A free spirit can send all of themselves into the metaplanes and then come back to the world to anyplace they have been before. My question is
1.)could a metahuman Mage project, go into the metaplanes and come put in astral at some place they have been before?
2.) Or could a free spirit lead the way into and then out of the metaplanes, to a location which they both know.
3.)Alternately could a free spirit lead a mage to a place only the spirit knew.
4.)Could one free spirit lead another spirit to a place only one knew, or that only a metahuman mage knew.

I think it could be an interesting game mechanic if possible. It would create another kind of mission and give opportunity to meat some unusual clients, contacts, and fixers. What the currency of exchange is could also be interesting.
Xahn Borealis
There is a power available to free or wild(I don't remember which) spirits called Astral Gateway which does this. (I think. I am AFB)
Lanlaorn
Astral Gateway just allows mundanes to project. It does also allow the spirit to take them to another metaplane but considering you're already astrally projecting that saves like 5 minutes of chatting with the guardian at the threshold.

That said, regarding your four points, my opinions are:
1. Yes but he's still just astrally projecting there, for most places on Earth it would just be simpler to astrally "run" there.
2. I don't think guests get a free ride into metaplanes that way unless you have a great form spirit using the Astral Gateway power, but that said getting to the metaplanes is the easy part. The difficult part of any metaplanar quest is what you meet on the metaplanes, and well you won't be staying longer than 3 seconds.
3. I imagine they each need to individually know the place, but maybe if the Free Spirit was bound by the mage then their telepathic bond would be enough to show it?
4. No, if they could it would lead to an odd scenario where spirits trade their location knowledges. Auctioning off the ability to metaplanar shortcut past those particular wards.
Badmoodguy88
The advantage of the metaplane short cut is that you can get past astral wards and any spirits guarding only the outer perimeter.

I would want 4 because it would cause that situation.

As for the bond thing one of the pacts makes the human immune to age and also makes him count as a spirit formula, so the mage could summon the spirit from any distance and they would just appear where ever the mage is. This could be used to get the spirit to a moon base or low orbital space station.
Simon Kerimov
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Aug 9 2010, 11:42 AM) *
4. No, if they could it would lead to an odd scenario where spirits trade their location knowledges. Auctioning off the ability to metaplanar shortcut past those particular wards.

Hot damn. Free Spirits have their own Shadowrunners? You mean I can get my players to spend Karma during Legwork to get a Free Spirit to tell them how to project past wards so they can scout the other side? Sir, be proud of the accidental damage you have caused all of my players.
Lanlaorn
Just to be clear:

- Any Spirit can use a metaplanar shortcut to bypass a ward, not just Free Spirits. They were the subject here because they can be PCs.
- A spirit can only metaplanar shortcut to it's Conjurer's location or to an area it has already been once before. Unless it's a corporate magic R&D lab binding lots of spirits who aren't happy when they are released/break free the odds are you won't find anyone who can bypass the wards.

And lastly, I don't think that spirits can just trade this "knowledge of the area" property although they could just go themselves and relay the scouting data to you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012