Hi all, coming back to those forums after quite a long break
I'm planning to start a new SR Campaign, and want to try out a totally different setting.
The idea is to have player characters all part of the same pirate crew, operating mainly around the caribean, but possibly going quite farther.
Usually when i make up a campaign, i first think about a story, but this time, i'm thinking first about the setting, and i'll think about the story after.
After all, the good thing about having players be pirates is that they are already bound together, have a headquarter, and could possibly move to anywhere on the globe.
I'll create the whole crew and let my players choose their character, possibly giving a few CP to customise them according to their wishes (or not) (my players are used to play premade characters, and have no problem with that. Actually, i believe that when you give out characters, the players will be more focused on the story, the role play, than about powergaming ...)
Another thing is that i really like the SR4 rules, but i HATE the timeline and the whole wireless matrix, so the story will take place between 2050 and 2064 i'd say.
Characters would be built with around 600 points, as they'll all have seamanship and swiming/diving skills, as well as military skills, and will be more balanced than powergamer 400 point builds.
Currently, i'm thinking about those characters :
- The Captain, a face/sam concept. I'm thinking about giving him some hidden background, like links to an organisation (corp/nation/sect or something like that) : he'd have higher purpose than just maning his ship and getting good shares of plunder. Right now, i dont have a clear idea. Any idea would be welcome
- The First Master, phys ad/sam, weapon and martial arts expert. Probably a former military, i'm thinking navy seals, but that'd be too oldschool. According to his origins, i'll give an appropriate background. Any idea of a good military or organisation background for such a character to make it more than just a "fighter" ?
- The Pilot, Drone Rigger. I have no ideas about this one, but see below some thoughts.
- The Doctor. A mage. Again no idea.
- The Quartermaster. Weapon technician/Heavy weapon expert. Orc or Troll (but troll might be difficult for the tech skills).
That's just a start, working around this.
I'm thinking about adding a colourfull char or two : since the players wont be shadowruners working in a big city, but freelancers with much less laws and limitation, i'd probably put inside the group "special characters". By special, i'm meaning charcter options that where alowed with the companion but that would unbalance or be really touchy as far as background is concerned to introduce in a classical campaign (i'm thinking about Drake, AI, Freespirit, Ghoul, Shapechanger etc ... ie : things a lot of GM would not allow in their campaign)
So, if you guys could help me out with ideas about characters, stories, readings (SR or other), or anything else that could be usefull for such a game setting, i'd be delighted.