Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Night at the museum
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Daddy's Little Ninja
There have been many references to magical traditions coming back after 2012. That was why ‘primitive’ peoples’ worked magic suddenly. But what happens to the museums?

The Natural History Museum in New York has a whole section on Native American artifacts which they are not giving up RL. Do we get new museums of magical stuff? Do we get a new name- The New York Museum of Natural History and Magic? Or do we just accept it is a part of the natural world already and they just change the signs in front of displays to reflect the new knowledge?

I know the big thing might be new names and new museums, a new wing on the Smithsonian or the V&A or Hermitage but as a native New Yorker something in the last on appeals to me. The rest of the world’s freaking out as Dragons buzz bullet trains and a big marshmallow man climbs a skyscraper on Central Park West and some mousey guy in a suit just calmly preps a new sign for an exhibit, walks in and changes it.
CanRay
Wait, when did they include the Staypuff Marshmellow Man into Shadowrun?
BookWyrm
I believe that the Natural History Museum, and perhaps others, would first try to argue in court that the "items/objects in question", as they would be mentioned in court, have no living legal owner, and try to persuade the court that since no proof of ownership can be provided, that the Museum becomes the default custodian (as they have been for many years already) of the historical objects. Failing this, the parties would come to an agreement that the museum would display the object(s) in a 'satisfactory context' to both parties and the patrons of the museum.
In other words, the museum would keep, store and protect any items that were under contection, and provide adequate or acceptible security for these items (which would include magical and Matrix security).

If the Museum could not keep the objects, they would no doubt display "accurate replicas" of any items that had to be returned to the NAN.
Acme
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 11 2010, 02:37 PM) *
Wait, when did they include the Staypuff Marshmellow Man into Shadowrun?

I think that she was being a bit facetious, you know, using good ol' Staypuff as a symbol for the general panic of new and amazing drek showing up.
CanRay
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Aug 11 2010, 05:02 PM) *
I believe that the Natural History Museum, and perhaps others, would first try to argue in court that the "items/objects in question", as they would be mentioned in court, have no living legal owner, and try to persuade the court that since no proof of ownership can be provided...

Except for the items that were owned by Dragons.

I'm sure they still have their reciepts. In clay tablet forms.
suoq
If a dragon says he owns it, as far as I'm concerned, he does now.
CanRay
QUOTE (suoq @ Aug 11 2010, 06:41 PM) *
If a dragon says he owns it, as far as I'm concerned, he does now.

So a Dragon that says "I own Ares now."

Yeah, we'll see how well that works out. OK, maybe Lofwyr could pull it off... But the Corporate Court would be ticked off!
jakephillips
I think that you are right... The museums would make a new section for the death masks of the Hopi once the magic came back.
CanRay
QUOTE (jakephillips @ Aug 11 2010, 08:51 PM) *
I think that you are right... The museums would make a new section for the death masks of the Hopi once the magic came back.

Until the Hopi come back for them, with magic!
toturi
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Aug 12 2010, 03:12 AM) *
The Natural History Museum in New York has a whole section on Native American artifacts which they are not giving up RL. Do we get new museums of magical stuff? Do we get a new name- The New York Museum of Natural History and Magic? Or do we just accept it is a part of the natural world already and they just change the signs in front of displays to reflect the new knowledge?

New York Museum of Supernatural History?
CanRay
QUOTE (toturi @ Aug 11 2010, 09:15 PM) *

Well, Doctor Venkman could probably run it. nyahnyah.gif
Prime Mover
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 11 2010, 10:18 PM) *
Well, Doctor Venkman could probably run it. nyahnyah.gif

---Golf Clap---
Martin_DeVries_Institute
Dr. Spengler would be more appropriate I would think. He has the dry intellect necessary. Venkman is more like a "game show host" according to Dana. Perhaps he could run the gift shop.

Ray... I don't know where the hell Ray is in all this. (And Winston went on to become a cop in Detroit and befriend a dead guitarist with a thing for birds.)
Lansdren
QUOTE (Martin_DeVries_Institute @ Aug 12 2010, 06:20 AM) *
Dr. Spengler would be more appropriate I would think. He has the dry intellect necessary. Venkman is more like a "game show host" according to Dana. Perhaps he could run the gift shop.

Ray... I don't know where the hell Ray is in all this. (And Winston went on to become a cop in Detroit and befriend a dead guitarist with a thing for birds.)

We approve of the Crow reference but are saddened by the fact I now remember they are remaking it
Daddy's Little Ninja
QUOTE (toturi @ Aug 11 2010, 09:15 PM) *

But now(2070) we know it is a part of the natural world.
CanRay
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Aug 12 2010, 10:08 AM) *
But now(2070) we know it is a part of the natural world.

Have you ever tried to change anything in a Bureaucracy? The idea of changing the name without a major event like what happened in those early years would require a major event!

I think there's still "Microfiche Reader Technicians" in Ottawa.
Daddy's Little Ninja
Yeah, that is what I mean. it has been the Museum of Natural History for over a century now, RL. Does someone think a little thing like the Awakening would cause them to change the name of the place? Especailly in New York?
Daddy's Little Ninja
QUOTE (Acme @ Aug 11 2010, 05:46 PM) *
I think that she was being a bit facetious, you know, using good ol' Staypuff as a symbol for the general panic of new and amazing drek showing up.

uh- yeah, that too.
Snow_Fox
I think you'er right. They proably wouldn't change museums, just change the information signs on displays. Magic is a part of the natural world so the name of the museum would not have to change. Maybe the names that include magic reflect the noveua-riche type places
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012