Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magical Guard
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Machiavelli
...the text says:

A critter with the Magical Guard power can use the
Counterspelling skill and provide spell defense and dispel spells
the same as a magician can (p. 185, SR4A).

May it be possible, that the spirit cannot protect itself with counterspelling, just other targets?
Neraph
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Aug 13 2010, 10:36 AM) *
A critter with the Magical Guard power can use the
Counterspelling skill and provide spell defense and dispel spells
the same as a magician can (p. 185, SR4A).

I figure that means that he can use it on himself just as a magician can.
Machiavelli
I also fear that you are right, but the terms "provide spell defense " made me a little bit hopefull that their form of the skill, only works for others, not for them.
sabs
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Aug 13 2010, 04:46 PM) *
I also fear that you are right, but the terms "provide spell defense " made me a little bit hopeful that their form of the skill, only works for others, not for them.

That would take a really creative interpretation of the English language.

The Guard Power Provides spell defense for the spirit, and any allies, as if he was a magician.
I think you're seriously trying to twist the English language. If you want spirits to not have counter-spelling, (even though they're already meat for the Magicians) then just house rule it and get it over with.

But the raw is pretty darn clear.
Neraph
In all fairness, when someone wants something badly enough, they start looking at the meanings behind the words used and not always the clear intent of the words. We're all guilty of that.
Machiavelli
The misinterpreting of the english language was my last hope that the rules arenīt that broken as i think they are. But i think i have to live with it...and play voodoo-priests instead of hermetics to get the new and improved spirits.^^
sabs
Why do you consider Spirits having Counter-spell to be broken?

Machiavelli
Because they are better than spirits without counterspelling? No line of sight needed for the mage to counterspell, and his spirits can protect agains enemy-mages by themselves anyway? Quite big advantage and they donīt lack the other cool powers of other spirits as a balance for this benefit. There are only pluses, no drawbacks. Looks broken to me, but we already had this discussion...
Traul
It does not change much: any spirit can already be protected by the Countersplling of its summoner while he stays in sight.

EDIT: you answered before.
Machiavelli
..."while he stays in sight"....there you go. Housecombat, spirit not in sight....manabolt...*poof*. Remote service...manabolt....*poof*. I donīt know how other groups play, but i rarely have LOS on my spirits during a combat. It is quite seldom that i am camping 200m away, spotting from a high spot over the battlefield.^^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012