Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astral Realm's Impact on the Physical Realm
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
codemonkey_uk
Started up Shadowrun recently (as I mentioned in the Adept / Karma question), and I'm at a bit of a loss, been reading the core rules, and I just can't see it.

What do mages actually do in the Astral Realm? Besides walking about, a bit of detective work, and maybe fighting other astral characters (other mages, spirits), if the adventure some how needs it (also not sure what adventure scenarios would need that) can they have any impact whatsoever on the physical world, from the astral world?

Again, I feel like I've missed something. Hackers can have a very direct impact on the physical world from the matrix. What can mages do from the astral realm? The matrix is unavoidable for even the most non-plugged-in characters, everyone has a commlink (or are severely handicapped by the lack of it). There is always a risk they could be attacked in some way by a hacker/rigger on the other side of the world.

Is a non attuned (ascended?) ever in any danger from a astrally projecting mage/adept? What am I missing?
LurkerOutThere
Ok firs tthing, do not judge mages and hackers with the same ruler. They are not at all similar on a functional level. TO be honest if we were to make that comparison Hackers get the smelly end of the stick as a naked mage in a room still has the ability to warp reality at will. A naked hacker is in trouble.

The astral does not typically affect the mundane world directly. It still gives you quite a bit of a vulnerability as a mundane mage can still glean quite a bit of information with assensing from looking at the area and targets astrally.

The time when the astral really comes into play is when you have people and things that are dual natured, spirits, certain paracritters and the infected. The other thing to remember on the astral travel speeds are fast enough to verge on teleportation so lets say the silent alarm is tripped at a facility. The police could get an astrally projecting mage there ahead of any mundane response and have them assense to see what's what. Once there they could also summon and command spirits to manifest.

In a nutshell the astral is more limited in what it can do against runners but it is a lot harder to defend against.
suoq
There's also a lot about the astral realm that doesn't make sense to my pre-awakened mind.

It disturbs me that I'm expected to just walk through walls I can't see through.

I freaks me out that an astral volcano can erupt when the physical one doesn't.

The only way I can deal with it is thinking of the astral world as an inaccurate map of the physical world that one can interact with in very dangerous ways (which, quickly leads one into realizing there's probably something better, a lot better, than Astral Chameleon, such as "No Astral Presence")
Shinobi Killfist
You can also command your spirits to manifest and kick ass. Which is something I'd remove from 5e, but oh well. So astral infiltration to point X, maybe even use masking to get past wards. Call in a spirit army which can metaplanar short cut into the ward and they go on a rampage.

How useful all of this is depends entirely on the GM, Scouting things out is fairly useful, though you can do it mundanely fairly well, but using both catches more things. The mage might miss a drone, and will miss static tech security, but he will catch the guards that are out of sight. All very cool, unless the GM puts decent astral security everywhere, then it sucks because you are 1 dude and as soon as you go astral you get eaten.

edit to add: Damn I missed the end of lurkers post.
Neraph
A friend of mine made the mistake of allowing mages to be able to cast while manifested, and as a result the players routinely get bbqpwned by mage-sec.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (codemonkey_uk @ Aug 14 2010, 07:22 AM) *
What do mages actually do in the Astral Realm? Besides walking about, a bit of detective work, and maybe fighting other astral characters (other mages, spirits), if the adventure some how needs it (also not sure what adventure scenarios would need that) can they have any impact whatsoever on the physical world, from the astral world?

This is an enormous advantage in a world where whomever shoots first wins. Knowledge is power.

Astral scouting and perception is effectively a means to invisibly explore and scout at minimal risk.

It's actually a game balance issue to make sure the invisible untouchable from the mundane mage can't cast or affect the mundane while astral.

It's powerful enough they can go anywhere as quick as thought and find out things for there teammates to deal with physically.
Hagga
QUOTE (suoq @ Aug 14 2010, 01:02 PM) *
There's also a lot about the astral realm that doesn't make sense to my pre-awakened mind.

It disturbs me that I'm expected to just walk through walls I can't see through.

I freaks me out that an astral volcano can erupt when the physical one doesn't.

The only way I can deal with it is thinking of the astral world as an inaccurate map of the physical world that one can interact with in very dangerous ways (which, quickly leads one into realizing there's probably something better, a lot better, than Astral Chameleon, such as "No Astral Presence")

Heh, Pariah.
LurkerOutThere
For the record I too would like to see wards becoming field affects rather then just walls. Metaplanar shortcut is just annoying.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012