Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FAB Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Stormdrake
So I was going through some of my old books and noticed that 2nd editio fab could stop mages rather than just slow them down. They even had a netgun charged with the stuff to capture astral mages. Can any of the FAB in 4th edition do this or is it just the "slow" them down stuff? Outside of FAB III which eats the offending mage of course.
Simon Kerimov
$imon$ez:
Street Magic p126-127
"Fluorescing Astral Bacteria (FAB)
FAB is a genetically engineered strain of bacteria with properties that affect astral forms. It was originally designed as a security measure, but certain breakthroughs (read: research accidents) led to the use of FAB as a weapon against astral beings as well. FAB comes in three strains, each with an increasing level of astral interaction.
FAB I is an engineered bacteria kept in aerosol dispensers. The bacteria is highly sensitive to the effect of an astral form passing through it, causing it to die and release a chemical that glows under ultraviolet light. When dispersed into the air, FAB I can reveal the presence of an astral form, which leaves a glowing silhouette of dead bacteria under UV light.
FAB II is dual natured. It provides a barrier to astral movement when placed in a nutrient suspension inside a physical container, like a wall. The bacterial colony has a Force rating that is used for astral barrier purposes. Airborne FAB II has no effect on astral forms other than preventing the use of astral movement faster than 100 meters per Combat Turn and applying a –2 astral visibility dice pool modifier inside the FAB cloud. UV light can also reveal the passage of astral forms through the bacterial cloud as the FAB is displaced, leaving a dark “shadow” where the astral form is."
$imoff:

--$imon$ez is an opensource [Knowsoft]::code provided by TrnZhX--
Simon Kerimov
FAB-III is slow, but it's physical. Mages can stop being Astrally active, but they still need to wash off. There are no fast zombie versions of FAB-III
Stormdrake
I missed the fact that FAB II if inclosed stops astral travel. So you can still do the trapping of astral mages in rooms. I would also guess the Astral Netgun would still work under those rules.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012