Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possession and damage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Machiavelli
Donīt have the books on hand but 2 questions:

1) Spirit overtakes a vessel and gets damage. If i remember correctly the damage counts for the vessel and the spirits simultaniously. Right?

2) Vessel is down due to damage (no matter if physical or mental) and spirits possesses him. If he already faded out, the spirits shouldnīt be able to "awaken" him again, istnīt it? What about the modifiers? Can the spirit control the puppet without the modifiers from the wounds?
Machiavelli
No one? Really?
Karoline
1) Correct.

2) Spirit doesn't worry about the body's wound modifiers, since it isn't suffering the pain or disorientation or blood loss that generally causes those penalties. It also has no problem continuing to animate (or animating) someone/thing that has died. Since they can possess and move inanimate objects and corpses, there is no reason it couldn't animate a corpse or unconscious person.
Laodicea
Agree with both Karolines' points.

Next question: if the spirits damage track is less than the vessels damage track, can one distrupt the spirit with physical damage without killing the vessel? Can one effectively exorcise a spirit by torturing its vessel? Obviously the banishing skill would allow you to rid the vessel of the spirit without the need for torture...but for those that don't have it? I know that I've allowed this in my game in the past because its cool and it makes sense. What about you guys?
Johnny B. Good
QUOTE (Laodicea @ Aug 17 2010, 07:23 PM) *
Agree with both Karolines' points.

Next question: if the spirits damage track is less than the vessels damage track, can one distrupt the spirit with physical damage without killing the vessel? Can one effectively exorcise a spirit by torturing its vessel? Obviously the banishing skill would allow you to rid the vessel of the spirit without the need for torture...but for those that don't have it? I know that I've allowed this in my game in the past because its cool and it makes sense. What about you guys?

If you fill the spirit's stun track it becomes disrupted, so yes that would work.
Aerospider
QUOTE (Karoline @ Aug 17 2010, 07:08 PM) *
2) Spirit doesn't worry about the body's wound modifiers, since it isn't suffering the pain or disorientation or blood loss that generally causes those penalties. It also has no problem continuing to animate (or animating) someone/thing that has died. Since they can possess and move inanimate objects and corpses, there is no reason it couldn't animate a corpse or unconscious person.

IIRC, RAW does speak of pre-possession wound modifiers affecting the spirit during possession. Doesn't it say something about only applying the highest combined wound modifiers between the vessel and the spirit? I never liked this, because it's unclear about what damage the dual entity starts with – the vessel's, the spirit's or the highest of them.

There is a difference between animating a corpse and animating an unconscious person. I think, bizarrely, that the corpse doesn't come with injury modifiers but the unconscious person does.
Machiavelli
That is the point, but in the example at the digital grimoire there is an unconscious person possessed and no mentioning of modifiers. Maybe because that wasnīt the point of the example but anyway....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012