Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Detecting people in astral.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Badmoodguy88
Assessing is used for tracking in astral and reading information about a target. Perception is used for using senses to notice things, not interpret deeper meaning about what you see.

Because it is astral I assumed astral perception would be used to spot hidden people but then I realized I could be wrong. The part on astral perception just says you usually see auras with out needing to roll, unless the target is trying to hide.

Also would astral chameleon aid in hiding from astral perception? I would say it does aid.

I just want to see if there are any dissenting opinions on this.
Summerstorm
Yepp, assensing IS the astral perception, even if you do not try to gather information and just want to have a look around.

And yeah: Astral Chameleon always imposes a -2 dice pool modifier whenever you get assensed. If you are sitting there for a lie-detection or stalking through the night, shadowing a dude. Doesn't matter when.

EDIT: Well, at least in my opinion *g*.
Neraph
Summerstorm, that's about how I figure it too.
Machiavelli
This is a question that also came to my mind and i have to disagree with the two dumpshockers before me. Perception is used to recognize what is going around, assensing to get nearer information from astral beings. You just have to look at the spezializations of the two skills and none of the ones assensing covers, mentions something like "see things in the astral". I think in the FAQ there was an explanation about astral-stealth and it also mentioned that it is really hard in astral space to hide or to infiltrate/shadowing.

I also disagree with the capability of the "Astral chameleon" quality. According to the description it makes the aura harder to read, maybe that it seems kind of blurry or something, it doesn´t make it "less visible".
Traul
QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Aug 18 2010, 05:11 PM) *
And yeah: Astral Chameleon always imposes a -2 dice pool modifier whenever you get assensed. If you are sitting there for a lie-detection or stalking through the night, shadowing a dude. Doesn't matter when.

Are you sure? I don't have the book right now, but I remember it affecting only your signature, not your aura or astral form.
Summerstorm
Hm.. why can't everyone have the same opinion as me *g*?

Ah well, let's see.

SR4A, Page 191, Astral Perception:
"An actual Test should only be called for when an astral being is specifically trying to hide, or when a character is trying to astrally observe in detail; in both these situation an Assensing test is made."

Hm, and the chameleon: Yeah it is only mentioned the "reading" of his aura, not the detection. But as the quote above: Both is pretty much the same, and the fluff of "blending into the surrounding manasphere" indicates that for me. But no hard proof here.

EDIT: Hm... i don't know if the people were confused with "Signature" and "Aura" or if it is really just the signature... but if it is... why do physical adepts have access to that quality?
Machiavelli
Hm.. why can't everyone have the same opinion as me *g*?
Because it would be too easy.^^

SR4A, Page 191, Astral Perception:
"An actual Test should only be called for when an astral being is specifically trying to hide, or when a character is trying to astrally observe in detail; in both these situation an Assensing test is made."
Yeah, that is a hint. So assensing is perception. At least one question clarified.^^
Badmoodguy88
I figure infiltration is astral probably has a lot to do with hiding behind stuff, just like real life infiltration. Also sticking to things you blend in with like living foliage, also like real life infiltration.

It is a little annoying because astral is prity much the only sense you can't effectively hide from. With stealth characters it is almost makes me feel like "what's the point?" because even if you are very stealthy in all other ways you will still be spotted in astral easily.
Traul
QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Aug 18 2010, 07:29 PM) *
EDIT: Hm... i don't know if the people were confused with "Signature" and "Aura" or if it is really just the signature... but if it is... why do physical adepts have access to that quality?

They can bond Foci and create Wards if they have the Astral Perception power. They leave their signature on those.
Summerstorm
Well, you CAN always use infiltration. Even if you don't know there will be astral surveilance and where it would be. But since you will likely walk through non-living environment the most (corporate buildings and such) the surveilence will get hefty bonus dice to find you... IF it isn't stretched out too much (they can patrol only so much).

On the other hand... astral surveilance is totally useless in thick forests and such to find the predator... i mean guy who is killing your doodz. Even better when you have something providing concealment (the power).

EDIT: Hm, Traul... maybe... but that makes the qualitiy REALLY weak. Since that guy you are askenning is RIGHT there.
Yerameyahu
I wouldn't say 'totally' useless, but it is harder.

Per RAW, Astral Chameleon has very specific mechanical effects. If you're making it into Astral Stealth (notoriously difficult to achieve), I'd bump the BP cost by 5 at least.
Badmoodguy88
Before it was a little weak but still had a use, with it affecting stealth it is more powerful but I don't think over powered. But I could be wrong.

I guess the real question is not whether it is over powered or under powered but whether the ability already gives a bonus to astral stealth.
Summerstorm
Hm, well. As you said by RAW it is doing this one thing: When you want to see a signature you lose two dice. (Also your signatures fades in half the time).

Problem is: As i understand you learn the signature even when only doing a normal aura assensing (at three hits). So you have to let him roll two times (one for the other information and once for the signature). Is not elegant...

Ah well... wait i have question fitting in this section.

The mage in my group has the "masking" metamagic and with it can fool wards to let him through. Now.. you need to know the signature of the maker of the ward to do it. BUT the ward already HAS the signature. I ruled that he have to see and assense the maker personaly to stop it from being just too easy (for a good mage). Well, any ideas and comments on that?

Also that damn search power... I let spirits lose one die per roll for that extended test. They could find anyone behind anything if one isn't doing that. WHO THE HELL wrote the astral rules? *g*
Badmoodguy88
Also that damn search power... I let spirits lose one die per roll for that extended test. They could find anyone behind anything if one isn't doing that. WHO THE HELL wrote the astral rules? *g*

I like that rule.
I guess as it stands, the only way to avoid being found by search is to get their dice pool down to zero with the combination of barrier’s Force and concealer’s Magic. Hard because in most cases they effectively get magic times 2 for the search VS concealer’s Magic.

Background count modifiers should work as an astral visibility modifier, but they would count anyway because they lower its force, which may also lower its intuition and magic.
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Aug 18 2010, 06:19 PM) *
The mage in my group has the "masking" metamagic and with it can fool wards to let him through. Now.. you need to know the signature of the maker of the ward to do it. BUT the ward already HAS the signature. I ruled that he have to see and assense the maker personaly to stop it from being just too easy (for a good mage). Well, any ideas and comments on that?

Well, since that's how it's written:
QUOTE (Street Magic p.124)
In order to synchronize one’s aura so it mimics a ward’s creator, the synchronizing magician or spirit must be able to see the creator’s aura to use as a reference. One way to do this is to track the astral link present between a ward and its creator

Note: it definitely says you must assense the creator's aura, NOT merely his signature.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012