Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Errata change to resisting Illusion Spells
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
RedmondLarry
In the 13th printing of SR3, the publishers fixed the resistance test for Illusion Spells to match most other types of spells. Now if the target gets an equal number of successes they realize its an illusion. Previously the target needed to exceed the caster's successes to realize it.

See SR3 Errata for all errata to date.

QUOTE (SR3 Errata)
p. 195: Illusion Spells
In the third paragraph, change the third sentence to read:
"If the observer generates equal or more successes in a Resistance Test, then the observer determines that the illusion is not real."
Kanada Ten
Excellent. Now I must unlearn yet again.
Kagetenshi
Blast! They have foiled me yet again. But victory shall still be mine...

~J
spotlite
won't be taking that errata on board - we have a long standing tradition of 'a tie goes with the attacker', be it melee combat, spells, or a simple opposed test for a maglock. Its consistent, and works both for and against the players.
BitBasher
So in your games SpotLite if a spell gets zero net sucesses it still hits? Ouch. It's good to be a mage in your game.
RedmondLarry
Our Team went with "Tie goes to attacker in combat, and to the defender with Magic" until we found that Illusion Spells violated one of the first rules of magic. With this new errata, life is easier for us.
Darkest Angel
It's hardly a great cataclysm, since it's not uncommon for mages to come out with more successes than the other guy has dice to resist.
BitBasher
It's hardly a great cataclysm, since it's not uncommon for mages to come out with more successes than the other guy has dice to resist.
How does that ever happen since vision modifiers such as cover and additional penalties such as background count commonly jack up spellcasting target numbers to 6+?
Kagetenshi
No they don't.
Especially not things like Invisibility.

~J
Darkest Angel
I'm with Kagetenshi, it's only really combat spells that would be adversely affected, and that rule already applies to them, so again - no biggy.
RedmondLarry
This rule correction eliminates a weird opposed test with Hot Potato. The old way, it was possible for the spell to succeed with zero successes. The target then attempted an opposed test with his Willpower against zero net successes of the spell.

This change brings the spell in line with one of the first rules of spells, if the target generates the same number or more successes, the spell does not affect the target (SR3.183, Spell Effect). Now only Damaging Manipulation spells are a special case to this general rule.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012