Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hacking Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Toloran
Hey everyone,

I'm working on a kind of odd hacker character concept and I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing anything important that might make the character crappy. So, a few questions:

- Are any attributes (logic, intuition, etc) actually used while hacking or is everything Skill + Program? The only thing that uses your attributes that I can remember is initiative (Reaction + Intuition for AR, Response + Intuition for VR).
- Is there anything you can do in VR that you CAN'T do in AR? (Not counting TM special stuff)
- Is there any vital hacking tools that HAVE to be taken as cyberware?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Achsin
1) Per RAW, it's just as you said. Attributes are not used except for initiative. Unwired has an optional rule for it (p.39), that is skill + attribute with hits capped by program. Lots of people also use their own houserules.

2) Jump into a Drone/Vehicle/Device is the only thing I can think of at the moment, but don't forget about the bonuses that (hot) VR gives you.

3) Encephalon, Simsense Booster and Math SPU are useful tools that are cyberware only. I wouldn't say they were vital (for a starting hacker anyways). Unwired talks about the usefulness of an implanted comlink (can't be taken from you) as well as a Datajack. A Control Rig is recommended for rigging, so if you are going to do that, you should pick one up. An AR only hacker would probably like to pick up some form of Initiative boosting 'ware, or magic, or else they will be at a severe disadvantage.

Edit: fixed "required" control rig, thanks Karma, I had just read in Unwired where it says that it is required, on page 36 bottom left paragraph.
DoomFrog
1). I believe that soaking damage in cyber combat is willpower + biofeedback filters.

2). There are some optional rules that limit AR actions in Unwired.

3). Pain editors can be good for hackers. But I wouldn't say necessary for starting hackers.
Toloran
Ok, Thanks everyone. That answered all my questions pretty throughly.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Achsin @ Aug 23 2010, 06:33 PM) *
A Control Rig is necessary for rigging, so if you are going to do that, you should pick one up.

This part isn't actually true in 4th edition. It's a nice bit of 'ware to have, but you can rig stuff without it.

If you get three commlinks and cluster them and add the ergonomic program option on all the common use programs you can have every program loaded at once.
Note that extra program capacity can also be used as extra connections. They go faster than you think.

If you have a cyberlimb, even a hand, you can get a Nanohive (for less essence since its in the limb) and use Neocortical nanites that add 3 to hacking tests OUT OF COMBAT. They make it easier to crack encryption on files you have on your node, data searches, matrix perception of the team TAN, etc.

When you can afford it get a Simsense Accelerator for your commlink. With it and a Simsense Booster implant you can have 5 VR passes. Since IC only get 3 you can full defend 3 passes then take care of business the other two.
X-Kalibur
I'd still make sure to have a good armor and biofeedback filter though. Last thing you want is to get Black Hammer'd while hot-simming, and your luck at avoiding being hit can only last so long.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012