Simon Kerimov
Material
  • Glass
  • Armor 1
  • Structure 1

Ingredients
  • 1kg Plastic Explosives (15) (“Love Brick”) 1,500¥
  • Detonator Cap 75¥
  • 8 Glass sheets 1m x 1m x 10cm (“pre-Hugs”)
  • 1 Blast-proof rectangular space open on one side with measurements of 1m x 1m x 9m (the “Clown Cannon”).

Directions
  • Line up the 8 pre-Hugs 1 m apart in the Clown Cannon.
  • Attach the Love Brick to the last pre-Hug on the side of the glass facing to the back of the Clown Cannon.
  • *Click*
  • Hugs!

So what?
  • DV: 2x [Rating(15) * √1kg]P
  • Blast: (−1/m)

Glass rolls Armor of 1, but Armor is halved from explosives being attached directly to the barrier, so is zero. Since the Blast of an explosion that penetrates a barrier is halved, Blast = −(1/2)8. In this case the Clown Cannon shoots Hugs for

30 DV * 64meters/DV = 1,920 meters.

Almost 2 kilometers of Hugs for Almost 2 grand¥! That's 1¥ per meter of Hugs!
Simon Kerimov
It gets better! For the low, low price of an additional 9,000¥, you can use Universal Sealant to construct one one they fly. Universal Sealant comes at 250¥ per m2, and our 9m x 1m x 1m cavity has 36 m2 of area to cover. Universal Sealant hardens on contact with air and takes on the consistency and hardness of steel, so you can bring a tent or something to give the Universal Sealant it's cigar shape in 36 Complex Actions, or slightly less than 2 minutes.

Do you think you could use Shotgun Rules on helicopters with this?
Badmoodguy88
Build a custom street sweeper with no weapon breach, a heavy barrel, melee weapon hardening, and electronic fairing in the form of a taser Frankensteined onto the barrel to shock the weapon's ammo into firing. Cast a powerful reinforce spell on the whole monstrosity so it is practically diamond. Then load up the weapon with Plastic explosives instead of gun powder and enjoy shooting people to ribbons wile simultaneously ripping your arm from its socket. I wrote some short story about the misadventures of a mage that did this but can't find it at the moment.

I guess I am being a bit lazy with the math but how much damage would it actually do? I figured it would be like a heavy weapon: unmodified recoil does damage to the wielder.
Traul
QUOTE (Simon Kerimov @ Aug 27 2010, 06:50 AM) *
Glass rolls Armor of 1, but Armor is halved from explosives being attached directly to the barrier, so is zero.

1) How do you attach your explosive charge simultaneously to the 8 layers of glass? wobble.gif
2) The armor rating is not halved, it is doubled against pretty much everything else. So that's 1 for for the first glass layer and 2 for each of the 7 next ones.
Since the Blast of an explosion that penetrates a barrier is halved, Blast = −(1/2)8.

That is the rule for breaching charges. Since the goal of your device is arguably not to pierce a hole in a glass wall, they do not apply.
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (Traul @ Aug 27 2010, 07:11 AM) *
1) How do you attach your explosive charge simultaneously to the 8 layers of glass? wobble.gif
2) The armor rating is not halved, it is doubled against pretty much everything else. So that's 1 for for the first glass layer and 2 for each of the 7 next ones.

That is the rule for breaching charges. Since the goal of your device is arguably not to pierce a hole in a glass wall, they do not apply.

I know that I don't understand. Is the goal to put the clown in the cannon up against the glass sheet furthest from the explosive and shoot him at things? I am all for anything that lets a character fly towards helicopters yelling "It's a boarding action!" but I am not sure that is what is intended here.
Traul
From what I understood, the goal was to shred everything in a cone 2km long with glass shrapnels.
Doc Chase
Edit - Traul beat me to it. nyahnyah.gif

To get around the barrier problem, split and sandwich the C4 between all sheets. That would more or less do the job. Chunky Salsa rules may also be substituted when the blast gets funneled out (can't spell funnel without fun!) through the rest of the barriers.

Since they're all DV1 anyway, I'm thinking they won't do much against a brick of Composition.
Laodicea
Hilarious and awesome. I'm not that proficient with the explosives mechanics so I can't say one way or the other whether it's strictly legal. I can't see any glaring reason not to allow it in a pink mohawk game.
Simon Kerimov
$imon$ez:
SR4 p315
“EXPLOSIVES
[tab]Explosives are primarily used to damage structures. Characters use Demolitions skill to prepare explosives, measuring how well they target key or weak structural points and focus the blast. Each hit on the Demolitions + Logic Test adds 1 to the explosive’s effective rating. See Destroying Barriers, p. 157, for calculating an explosive’s effect on a barrier.
[tab]An explosive’s Damage Value is calculated as (modified) rating x the square root of the kilograms used. Damage is Physical. Like grenades, the DV is reduced the further you get from the epicenter of the blast. The Blast value for a circular explosion is –2 per meter, while the Blast value for a directional explosion (up to 60 degrees in a specific direction) is –1 per meter. When attached directly to a target, the target’s armor is halved, otherwise the explosive is assumed to have an AP value of 0.
[tab]If an explosion destroys a barrier, it creates a cloud of deadly shrapnel that threatens an area far bigger than the actual blast—the Blast value is halved, effectively doubling the radius of effect."
$imoff:

--$imon$ez is an opensource [Knowsoft]::code provided by TrnZhX--

Let's start with the basic rules. Using a directional explosion set directly on the glass gives a x0.5 Armor rating to the glass, which rounds down to 0 in the case of glass. The glass is a barrier, so it give a x0.5 Blast, doubling the radius. Now lets check the Destroying Barriers rules to see if Traul is right on me using these rules incorrectly.

$imon$ez:
SR4 p157
“DESTROYING BARRIERS
[tab]If a character is attacking a barrier with intent to destroy it (or create a hole), resolve the attack normally. Since barriers can’t dodge, the attack test is unopposed. (The purpose of the attack test is to generate extra hits to add to the Damage Value. If a character got no hits, then only apply the base Damage Value. The only way a character could “miss” is if he got a critical glitch on the attack test.) A character may use Demolitions as the attack skill if he has the proper materials and time to set charges.
[tab]Before rolling the barrier’s damage resistance test, adjust the modified Damage Value to reflect the type of attack, as noted on the Damaging Barrier Table.
Resolve the damage resistance test by rolling the barrier’s Armor x 2. Against Indirect Combat spells and explosives attached directly, barriers roll only their Armor rating. The weapon’s AP is ignored. Each net hit reduces the modified DV by 1.
[tab]Apply the remaining DV as damage to the barrier. If the total boxes are greater than or equal to the Structure rating, the attack has made a hole in the structure. Each hole is one square meter per increment of Structure rating. For example, an attack that dealt 30 net points of damage to a Structure 15 barrier would create a 2 square-meter hole."

SR4 p150
DAMAGING BARRIERS TABLE
Weapon [WWWWWWWWWWn] DV Modifier
Melee or Unarmed [WWWWWW] No change
Whip/Monofilament whip [WWn] DV of 1
Projectile [WWWWWWWWWWn] DV of 1 per projectile
Bullet [WWWWWWWWWWWW.] DV of 2 per bullet
Explosive [WWWWWWWWWW,] base DV x 2
AV rocket/missile [WWWWWW.] base DV x 3
Combat spell [WWWWWWWWn] No change"
$imoff:

--$imon$ez is an opensource [Knowsoft]::code provided by TrnZhX--

Alright, I was wrong. Let's work this through with the assumption that the walls of the tunnel hold (they won't), and the glass always gets an optimal roll (it won't).

At glass sheet 0 at the moment of the originating explosion
  • DV: 30P
  • Blast: -1/m
  • Glass Armor: 0
  • [ *0| 1| 2| 3| 4| 5| 6| 7|
  • The Love Brick goes off and sends Hugs toward glass 1 with
  • Blast: -0.5/m

At glass sheet 1 the DV has been reduced by 0.5 from the blast, round down to 0.
  • Blast: -0.5/m
  • Glass Armor 1
  • [ *: *1| 2| 3| 4| 5| 6| 7|
  • Hugs drop to
  • DV: 29P
  • Blast: -0.25/m

At glass sheet 2 the DV has been reduced by 0.25 from the Blast, add to previous to get 0.75, round down to 0.
  • DV: 29P
  • Blast: -0.25/m
  • Glass Armor 1
  • [ *: *: *2| 3| 4| 5| 6| 7|
  • Hugs drop to
  • DV: 28P
  • Blast: -0.125/m

At glass sheet 3 the DV has been reduced by Blast a total of 0.875, round down to 0.
  • DV: 28P
  • Blast: -0.125/m
  • Glass Armor 1
  • [ *: *: *: *3| 4| 5| 6| 7|
  • Hugs drop to
  • DV: 27P
  • Blast: -0.0625/m

At glass sheet 4 the DV has been reduced by Blast a total of 0.9375, round down to 0.
  • DV: 27P
  • Blast: -0.0625/m
  • Glass Armor 1
  • [ *: *: *: *: *4| 5| 6| 7|
  • Hugs drop to
  • DV: 26P
  • Blast: -0.03125/m

At glass sheet 5 the DV has been reduced by Blast a total of 0.96875, round down to 0.
  • DV: 26P
  • Blast: -0.03125/m
  • Glass Armor 1
  • [ *: *: *: *: *: *5| 6| 7|
  • Hugs drop to
  • DV: 25P
  • Blast -0.015625/m

At glass sheet 6 the DV has been reduced by Blast a total of 0. 984375, round down to 0.
  • Blast -0.015625/m
  • Glass Armor 1
  • [ *: *: *: *: *: *: *6| 7|
  • Hugs drop to
  • Blast -0.015625/m

At glass sheet 7 the DV has been reduced by Blast a total of 0. 9921875, round down to 0.
  • DV: 24P
  • Blast -0.015625/m
  • Glass Armor 1
  • [ *: *: *: *: *: *: *: *7|
  • Hugs drop to
  • DV: 23P
  • Blast -0.00390625/m

As the Hugs exits the Hug Tube, it has been reduced by Blast an amount asymptotically approaching 1, so let's call it 1.
  • DV: 23P
  • Blast -0.00390625/m
  • [ *: *: *: *: *: *: *: *: BOOM --> that way

It's DV to metahumans will be half of that, or 11P.
It's DV will drop by 1 every 256 meters, or 2816 meters until the DV to metahumans is reduced to 0, and 5,888 meters until barriers no longer feel the Hugs.
Simon Kerimov
If you extend the tube or reduce the original Rating of the explosives, a clown sitting on the end of the cannon wearing a pair of pants with a Structure rating would fly along with the shrapnel as long as her body was blocking a small enough area that the GM rules to allow the whole mass to continue moving forward as opposed to building up chunky salsa on the inside of the boom tube.
Traul
I am pretty sure the armor is not supposed to work like that. Directly attached explosives halve the armor, but the soak roll for a barrier is Armor*2, so in the end the barrier rolls its Armor. I know that you got the RAW right because the rules are scattered in 2 different sections and they happened to use 2 different formulations that could stack ("only roll the armor" vs "halve the armor"), but it is a striking case of poor editing. Had they wanted directly attached explosives to divide the armor by 4, they would have written it instead of splitting the rule in two and hiding the halves 150 pages away from each other.

Then, if your goal is to propel the clown through the 8 glass barriers, you should not use the Destroying barriers rules for them. The rules for hitting the clown through a barrier are just before the rules for destroying barriers: the clown gets an armor bonus from the barriers. If this bonus is higher than the explosion DV, the blast does not reach him.
Traul
Double post
Simon Kerimov
QUOTE (Traul @ Aug 27 2010, 06:25 PM) *
I am pretty sure the armor is not supposed to work like that. Directly attached explosives halve the armor, but the soak roll for a barrier is Armor*2, so in the end the barrier rolls its Armor. I know that you got the RAW right because the rules are scattered in 2 different sections and they happened to use 2 different formulations that could stack ("only roll the armor" vs "halve the armor"), but it is a striking case of poor editing. Had they wanted directly attached explosives to divide the armor by 4, they would have written it instead of splitting the rule in two and hiding the halves 150 pages away from each other.

Ah, you are right. I hadn't noticed that the two statements were just conjugates of each other. That changes the equations more than a little.

EXPLOSIVE
  • DV = Rating x √(kg used)
  • AP = -half or 0
  • Blast = -n DV/meter

BARRIER
  • Armor
  • Structure

DIRECTIONS FOR DESTROYING A BARRIER
  • Make an attack roll to determine modified DV (DV+hits).
  • Adjust DV by type of attack using table on SR p158 (x2).
  • Resolve the damage resistance test by rolling Barrier's Armor x 2. Attached explosives and indirect combat spells use straight Armor. Hits reduce DV.
  • Remaining DV is checked against the Structure Rating, leaving a 1 m2 per increment of Structure Rating.

So the first glass rolls 1 Armor, and the rest roll 2. The DV would be reduced to 14 by the time it came out of the tube, so the range is merely 3,328 meters. A GM might rule that every meter traveled inside the tube will round up, so the DV would be reduced to 8, or 2,048 meters. Another GM might rule that each barrier adds the base distance again to the range, as opposed to employing a power law. Then the range comes out to about 64 meters. Since the additive method is the math that most games prefer (to preclude the creation of clown cannons), 64 meters sounds right. The effect of the extra barriers is to extend the range of the original explosion by the 8 meter length of the blast tube.

Don't go into the sewers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012