Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Initiative Pact
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Megu
What would you guys think about a Spirit Pact that gives Initiative Passes in exchange for Karma as an alternative to ware or spell?

I ask this because I'm considering making a character for some indefinite future use that's from a culture where ware would likely be eschewed, and where there's some mystical shit going on already, but he's a mundane soldier type, because not everyone can be a shaman and I kind of want to see how this works out.

In case you're wondering, the culture I've got in mind is Hmong (Hmong studies is kind of my background anyways so it's at least something I'd kind of be familiar with and not just pulling out of my ass), and in Hmong culture, foreign elements in the body is bad news. If you get buried with any metal in you, for one, you can't reincarnate, and you need all your original pieces if you want to have them next time around. There's a lot of strictures, and they've pretty much got "keep your Essence intact" written all over them.
Machiavelli
Make it a version of a dream pact that you could call "possession pact" so that you retain the spirits powers even when you are awake. Or "hidden life". Because without own active magic AND without ware, you won´t stand much chance.
LurkerOutThere
So basically the benefits of ware without actually wanting to mess with ware? Sounds like more Magicrun to me, I guess if you can sell your GM on it it's fine but it is rather silly. There is a percentage of the population that can do magic, there is a percentage of the population that gets cybered, it sounds to me like you want to do a viable third option which isn't represented well in the game.

Mooncrow
QUOTE (Megu @ Aug 27 2010, 02:59 AM) *
What would you guys think about a Spirit Pact that gives Initiative Passes in exchange for Karma as an alternative to ware or spell?

I ask this because I'm considering making a character for some indefinite future use that's from a culture where ware would likely be eschewed, and where there's some mystical shit going on already, but he's a mundane soldier type, because not everyone can be a shaman and I kind of want to see how this works out.

In case you're wondering, the culture I've got in mind is Hmong (Hmong studies is kind of my background anyways so it's at least something I'd kind of be familiar with and not just pulling out of my ass), and in Hmong culture, foreign elements in the body is bad news. If you get buried with any metal in you, for one, you can't reincarnate, and you need all your original pieces if you want to have them next time around. There's a lot of strictures, and they've pretty much got "keep your Essence intact" written all over them.

It seems a bit powerful for a pact, but I suppose you could set up something like a Power Pact, where there are continual costs and a free GM hook any time they want you to do something wink.gif
Machiavelli
Let him fight against a troll in melee, he dies and gets reincarnated as a magic user. Tadaaa..problem solved.^^
Megu
QUOTE (Mooncrow @ Aug 27 2010, 07:04 AM) *
It seems a bit powerful for a pact, but I suppose you could set up something like a Power Pact, where there are continual costs and a free GM hook any time they want you to do something wink.gif

That free GM hook is something I was hoping would be a major plus to this, too; any spirit this involved with a PC is going to be a character in its own right to be dealt with. Keeping said spirit happy could be a real pain in the ass, and I figured one could really play up the "dealing with inhuman powers" element.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012