Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Modular Weapons and Weapon Mod
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Paul Kauphart
A question just occured to me, if you make a modification on a modular weapon (like the HK XM30 or the Steyr AUG), does it apply for the whole line or only one version ?
Yerameyahu
I guess it depends on the mod. Electronic Firing? Yes. Extended Barrel? No.
CanRay
Just be careful when putting the parts together. MG Belt-Feed with a Assault Rifle Barrel and SMG Shoulder Brace is a bad idea.
Paul Kauphart
QUOTE (Paul Kauphart @ Aug 31 2010, 04:44 PM) *
A question just occured to me, if you make a modification on a modular weapon (like the HK XM30 or the Steyr AUG), does it apply for the whole line or only one version ?

Well, that's more or less the answer I was coming up with, no general rules, you'd have to do for each case...

even worse, in the Steyr AUG case, all the versions are included in one version, and for the HK XM 30 you have to buy additionnal parts....
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 31 2010, 05:46 PM) *
Just be careful when putting the parts together. MG Belt-Feed with a Assault Rifle Barrel and SMG Shoulder Brace is a bad idea.

why?
Yerameyahu
Because the barrel will melt and the brace will hurt your arm? smile.gif Not really, but hey.
Neraph
I actually want to modify or build off of the HK XM30 to be more along the lines of the rifle you play with in Republic Commando, and do a campaign similiar to that game.

The weapon starts off as a carbine instead of an assault rifle, and has the upgrades for the rest of them. The weapon as-is seems a little fragmented - IE: all weapon types apparently use Automatics, as that's where the weapon is listed and it doesn't say it takes Long Arms to use Shotgun/Sniper version, heavy weapons for LMG, and other things.

I'd have to change the Availability and Cost and make more changes to the actual mechanics, more in line with the AUG.
Yerameyahu
No, you use the appropriate skill for each version. They assumed you'd know that, but added that stipulation in Arsenal because they met people like Neraph. biggrin.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 31 2010, 12:01 PM) *
No, you use the appropriate skill for each version.

*Cough cough* Can you show me where it says that in the rules for that weapon? It does for the AUG, but not for the HK XM30.

This is not to say that I don't have common sense or that I can't figure it out on my own, just that the rules are silent on it. At least they are as per SR4. A may have changed it.
Mooncrow
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 31 2010, 11:58 AM) *
I actually want to modify or build off of the HK XM30 to be more along the lines of the rifle you play with in Republic Commando, and do a campaign similiar to that game.

The weapon starts off as a carbine instead of an assault rifle, and has the upgrades for the rest of them. The weapon as-is seems a little fragmented - IE: all weapon types apparently use Automatics, as that's where the weapon is listed and it doesn't say it takes Long Arms to use Shotgun/Sniper version, heavy weapons for LMG, and other things.

I'd have to change the Availability and Cost and make more changes to the actual mechanics, more in line with the AUG.

ARS page 27:

"The configurations require different skills to be used properly: Automatics for the assault rifle and submachine gun configuration, Heavy Weapons for the LMG configuration, and Longarms for the rifle configuration. All configurations use assault rifle ammunition but different ammo clips."
Yerameyahu
I know, dude. smile.gif I'm not saying you're stupid or didn't know, just keeping my end up, right? biggrin.gif

Yeah, he's saying that the SR4A doesn't say that applies to the XM30. Gotta bang the 'strict constructionist' drum. smile.gif

However, I feel it's a general rule that you use the correct skill; does a UBGL use Automatics?
Neraph
QUOTE (Mooncrow @ Aug 31 2010, 12:06 PM) *
ARS page 27:

"The configurations require different skills to be used properly: Automatics for the assault rifle and submachine gun configuration, Heavy Weapons for the LMG configuration, and Longarms for the rifle configuration. All configurations use assault rifle ammunition but different ammo clips."

That's for the AUG.

QUOTE (Yerameyahu Posted Today, 12:06 PM )
However, I feel it's a general rule that you use the correct skill; does a UBGL use Automatics?

Technicallly, all the weapon is is an Assault Weapon (or whatever) that has an alternate damage code.
Paul Kauphart
Then what skill do you use to operate a Savalette Guardian ? It is listed as Heavy pistol but has a Complex action BF mode.

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 31 2010, 05:10 PM) *
Because the barrel will melt and the brace will hurt your arm? smile.gif Not really, but hey.

I would have thought, because the recoil will kill your shoulder nyahnyah.gif
Yerameyahu
Does it use AR ammo and ranges, Neraph? smile.gif (The UBGL.)

Pistol, Paul. It doesn't say it's transformed into an SMG, it just has a fire mode. Yes, the SR4 distinction between pistol and machine pistol is a goofy artificial one. Oh well. smile.gif
Paul Kauphart
I think it use AR ammo, and ranges relevant to the configuration.

Well, firing an AR in SA still use automatics so...

I don't have my book with me, but does the book says anything about the skill used if you change the firing mode of a weapon, like adding a FA to a sniper rifle ?

Yerameyahu
No, firing mode changes don't change the skill.
Kruger
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 31 2010, 07:57 AM) *
why?

Because it was a joke from the original Street Samurai Catalog, iirc.

In reality, there'd probably be no real consequences other than the barrel not being able to handle the rate of fire and being more prone to melting/warping under the stress of sustained autofire. Also in reality, weapons like the M249 (an LMG) have been fitted with collapsible stocks. The real interesting part is how they make the feed mechanism modular. As written, the weapon would need to be chambered in at least three different calibers with variable barrels for each caliber as well.

If that's the case, then it would likely be almost impossible to mismatch parts because things just wouldn't fit properly and one would hope it was designed that way. If you fitted a barrel that was too small, the round wouldn't feed. If you fitted a barrel too large, the round might fire (I've seen AK-47s fire off 5.56 ammo before (don't ask)), but it would most certainly misfire due to a lack of sufficient gas pressure to move the action, and who knows where the projectile would hit because it wouldn't be properly catching the rifling.

Regardless, the end result would be the complete weapons system would weigh a ton. Figure about two to three times the weapon's actual weight, considering the only common part would be the frame. It would have to have at least two lower receiver parts (one for the low caliber rounds and one for the larger (unless they went for common sized magazines adapted to fit smaller rounds), three upper receiver parts (, five barrels (AR, Rifle, SMG, 2 barrels for the LMG, and add an extra weapon for the HK since it has a shotgun config)). The Steyr, iirc uses a fixed stock for all configs, so it's probably no big deal. It would also need magazines for each configuration (LMG and AR could share mags). Not really something you could carry around, at least if that was the misguided intention of the player.

Of course, if you look at the illustration for the XM30, it's a firearms design nightmare, lol. Bullpup configuration belt feed. Yikes. Believe the AUG was similar. Probably be only rational to eliminate the belt option for these weapons.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 31 2010, 09:12 AM) *
That's for the AUG.

Technicallly, all the weapon is is an Assault Weapon (or whatever) that has an alternate damage code.

I believe the alpha at least states that the UBGL uses the heavy weapons skill, as does the after market modification as well.
CanRay
QUOTE (Kruger @ Aug 31 2010, 12:35 PM) *
Because it was a joke from the original Street Samurai Catalog, iirc.

You got it. Friend of FastJack did this and borked up his shoulder. nyahnyah.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Aug 31 2010, 12:36 PM) *
I believe the alpha at least states that the UBGL uses the heavy weapons skill, as does the after market modification as well.

That has to be 4A. My 4th edition doesn't say that.

Again, this is not to say I can't think myself out of a box, just saying that the Rules are interesting at this point.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 31 2010, 08:25 PM) *
You got it. Friend of FastJack did this and borked up his shoulder. nyahnyah.gif

I miss Wedge.
Kruger
Off the top of my head, I can't remember. Didn't Wedge meet an unfortunate end at some point?
CanRay
Honestly, how many Shadowtalkers died in their sleep?

Or, better yet, on a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful people?
Kruger
Well true. But some were actually talked about. And I guess it's a good thing when someone considers you interesting enough to tell your story. I could have sworn that Wedge's demise was recounted in one of the books.

I like to believe that Wedge died in your second way. On a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful people, and with a new, state of the art shoulder.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 31 2010, 04:20 PM) *
That has to be 4A. My 4th edition doesn't say that.

Again, this is not to say I can't think myself out of a box, just saying that the Rules are interesting at this point.

I must've been thinking SR3 where it stated to use heavy weapons or you could default to automatics -1 for it. Although I could be misremembering there as well. It's been awhile since I opened up Cannon Companion (or further back with Fields of Fire)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012