Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Human climbs using ghecko adhesive
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mongoose
http://wimp.com/geckotalents/ - around 2:50

Looks like it was done some time ago. Also looks pretty clumsy- its like having snowshoes on your hands. A more flexible, self adaptive support structure could help there (especially on rough surfaces), but it takes a lot of surface area to support a human's weight (let alone a trolls) - I don't think a gloves and shoes would cut it. Its possible the adhesive force per unit surface area will go up with better nanotech, but there's a limit to how strong it will ever get...
Critias
It's an interesting video, that's for sure.

The few time gecko gloves have come up in my games, I've referred to them as gloves, toes/boots of some sort, and kneepads. The extra contact point should help with strength some, and provide additional stability (particularly stability "emanating from" the legs, where humans are used to feeling stable).
hobgoblin
The bot design i think i found a different video of recently. But the really interesting part of this video, is the potential for a reinterpretation of the balance tail cyberware.
nemafow
Interesting video, still a bit far away from SRs gloves biggrin.gif but we are getting there!
hobgoblin
QUOTE (nemafow @ Sep 3 2010, 06:51 AM) *
Interesting video, still a bit far away from SRs gloves biggrin.gif but we are getting there!

Now consider someone decked out in gecko gloves, glide suit and balance tail wink.gif

Urban running takes on a whole new meaning.
TommyTwoToes
The surface area of your hands and feet goes up as a square function of your height, while your weight goes up as a cube function. Assuming the same proportions at any rate.

This makes the gecko matherial need larger and larger surface areas in proportion to the size of the user as the user gets bigger. Actual geckos are pretty small, double a geckos length and the surface area goes up by a factor of 4, but his weight went up by a factor of 8. Excess carrying capacity dimishes rapidly.

For trolls you might not be able to get enough surface area and still have the troll be able to functionally use the material to climb (the size pads might be bigger around than the trolls reach).
hobgoblin
Yet another case of cool outclassing physics wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012