Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does anyone play Shadowrun in Maptool
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
eidolon
I'm playing in a D&D 3.5, e6 variant game online using Maptools, and I actually dig it quite a bit. I'd rather be playing Shadowrun at a table with people, but it's, well, I guess I'd say it's "equally fun in a slightly different way."

I ran a short-lived (divorce, moving, RL crap, years ago now) game of SR using just Skype and trusting people on dice rolls and stuff, and I liked that and would do it again.

But I'm curious if any of you play Shadowrun using a VTT or combo of VTT and VOIP. Which VTT do you use? Do you have a framework/campaign set up in the VTT or do you just wing it using what tools it has natively?
LFG
Running a SR4 campaign currently with maptools. Other than my inability to get a server to start up, I like it a lot. Lucky to have a player that is more familiar with setting up the sever. Text is fine for us so haven't tried the voice part. Love being able to make custom tokens and the SR4 campaign file someone made.
phlapjack77
I'm playing in a SR4 campaign using OpenRPG. It doesn't appear to have voice, so we're also using Ventrilo for that. I don't think the GM has a campaign "set up" in OpenRPG, just uses it to handle the mechanics and maps and text chat. It seems to work pretty well - does dice rolls, initiative order and stuff like that. It has the facility to keep track of character sheets too, I think, but we don't use that.

It's also got a fog-of-war option for the shared map, but that's screwed some of our players up so that they can't use OpenRPG while it's up. Could be the fact that two of us are in China at the moment, but still smile.gif

Curious to take a look at maptools now - does it handle all of the stuff of a "normal" VTT? (from a quick glance at the website, it doesn't look like it's set up as a standard VTT)
Saint Sithney
mikekozar was pretty deep into this. Maybe send him a pm?
eidolon
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Sep 2 2010, 08:36 PM) *
I'm playing in a SR4 campaign using OpenRPG. It doesn't appear to have voice, so we're also using Ventrilo for that. I don't think the GM has a campaign "set up" in OpenRPG, just uses it to handle the mechanics and maps and text chat. It seems to work pretty well - does dice rolls, initiative order and stuff like that. It has the facility to keep track of character sheets too, I think, but we don't use that.

It's also got a fog-of-war option for the shared map, but that's screwed some of our players up so that they can't use OpenRPG while it's up. Could be the fact that two of us are in China at the moment, but still smile.gif

Curious to take a look at maptools now - does it handle all of the stuff of a "normal" VTT? (from a quick glance at the website, it doesn't look like it's set up as a standard VTT)

It does, but it seems like it takes a lot of kludging to do it. I found a framework for Savage Worlds, and it looks like to do any scripting and stuff you basically have to hack the token macro engine and have "permanent tokens" that sit on an invisible layer and hold everything, and your commands and stuff have to point at them and pull code. Kinda strange, really. It's easy to use for what it's made for, but I'm not sure that making a framework that makes it run as though meant for whatever system you're using was ever on their agenda.
Starmage21
+1 for OpenRPG

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012