Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The school of flying heavy objects
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Azrael
Years ago I read a throw away line around the effectivness of large objects, such as park benches, as a magical powered weapon.

I'm in the process of putting together a character based on this concept i.e. a physics mage.

Thought I'd throw it out there - has anyone get an ingenious ideas around this concept?

Couple I've picked / made up:

- Boom Box: throw grenade near target, use edge to have another IP, cast a small physical barrier around said grenade, wait for the chunky salsa to settle (someone mentioned something along these lines a little while ago, well done);

- Death from above: when backed into a corner in an office environment, levitate grenade into light fitting, use magic fingers to pull pin and hold, wait for pursuit to arrive and stand under prepared present, drop sustained spells, fetch mop and bucket (not many ways to have an attack without making a roll these days...);

- Uneven flooring: if target is standing on a relatively loose item of flooring (i.e. manhole cover), initiate launch of inter-surburban ballistic missle;
Stahlseele
Lift container up, tell someone"oops, i dropped something" and watch the container drop on them from some meters up high.
Alternatively, lift someone else up, tell them"ooops, i dropped something" and watch them fall sreaming to their death.
Bonus points for doing both at once, i.e., lifting someone up, letting them fall and kill someone else with the falling body too.
Dumori
Your mage needs to be a mystic adept just for the use of missile mastery and power throw with nades screw scatter that nade all ready killed one guy when you throw it and is now logged in his chest.

For the less silly options illustion spells plus physical barile for dead-fall traps ect could be fun. The fun thing is you only need to drop the barrier so your target falls tough the floor bound to cause confusion the recast the barreia to confuse the marks. You might need a silence spell in you pit too how every then it gets a bit sustaing intensive.
Stahlseele
i . . i did not get that . . would you mind checking your spelling for me? O.o
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 7 2010, 03:29 PM) *
i . . i did not get that . . would you mind checking your spelling for me? O.o

Get a Mystic Adept for Missile Mastery and then the SR4A scatter rules wouldn't matter because you're lobbing grenades as if they were bullets.

Also use illusion spells such as Trid Phantasm and Physical Barriers to make deadfall traps. Mook falls in, recast the barrier so everyone can walk right over it without a problem, and throw a Silence spell on the shaft so they can't hear the screaming.
Stahlseele
Ah, thanks ^^
Doc Chase
Mangled English texts a specialty. biggrin.gif
Dumori
Sorry I was interrupted so I just smashed it out ASAP.
Doc Chase
Don't sweat it. I don't mean what I said as an insult either, I can understand you perfectly. nyahnyah.gif
Dumori
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Sep 7 2010, 04:13 PM) *
Don't sweat it. I don't mean what I said as an insult either, I can understand you perfectly. nyahnyah.gif

I looks like my main flaw was a lack of any punctuation. I tend to type fast then add it in after.
Azrael
I wonder if anyone has ever developed a variation of the physical barrier spell called "Maze"...
Stahlseele
You can give the barrier any form or shape you like.
As far as i remember/am concerned . .
At least in simply geometric forms, everything goes.
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Sep 7 2010, 09:56 AM) *
Get a Mystic Adept for Missile Mastery and then the SR4A scatter rules wouldn't matter because you're lobbing grenades as if they were bullets.

Also use illusion spells such as Trid Phantasm and Physical Barriers to make deadfall traps. Mook falls in, recast the barrier so everyone can walk right over it without a problem, and throw a Silence spell on the shaft so they can't hear the screaming.

Physical barrier shoudl end up with about the same structure as a chain-link fence. Which is just fine to run over, but will let vehicles plumet to their deaths.

Also whatever the AOE version of Wreck (support pillar) is, just overcast that baby and its pancake time.

Continuing with Wreck...... Wreck (floor) or clairvoiance to see through the ceilign and Wreck(ceiling) can strart some freefall fun.

Glue cast on a car will bring it to a sudden stop or tear the tires right off the rims, glue cast on a patch of road will make motor-cyclists fly through the air like monkeys with wings.

Magic fingers and a glue sprayer is more fun than pancakes.

Sephiroth
This thread and others have some good ideas on how to use Shape [Material] effectively.

You could also try to recreate the effects of underwater lightning spells by using Hose and Lightning Bolt in succession, or possibly combine the effects ala Firewater.
CanRay
Actually, without magic, my group figured out that Dwarf Tossing can be quite the weapon...

FASTBALL SPECIAL!!!
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 8 2010, 07:30 PM) *
Actually, without magic, my group figured out that Dwarf Tossing can be quite the weapon...

FASTBALL SPECIAL!!!

i am forbidden from doing this . . especially when doing it without asking the dwarf for permission . . party poopers ._.
Daddy's Little Ninja
They hung in the air just the way a brick didn't.
Yerameyahu
Honestly, you're better off throwing almost anything instead of the Dwarf.
Stahlseele
Ork Babies *nods sagely*
KarmaInferno
There's always the boring ol' "Cast high-force Levitate on a bus and then have a spirit use Movement to multiply the speed"

There's always the boring ol' "Cast high-force Levitate on a bus and then have a spirit use Movement to multiply the speed"

Ah, the old "Yellow Cruisemissile of Doom ™".
Yep, that there's a great way to make an escape out of a building on the opposite side of the street a bit more interesting...And those emergency-response types that turn up right quickly after this is done have the most wonderful toys. (Illusion EMT Worker, armfulls of supplies, go.)

-Tir.
Badmoodguy88
Ah, the old "Yellow Cruisemissile of Doom ™".

I feel this is somehow directly related to this thread...
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=32797
rotate.gif
Azrael

Grab a firetruck, ambulance and police swat bus and you could have your own 4th of July themed skyshow.

I'm almost thinking that it would be worthwhile developing a Spring spell. Anchored with the appropriate detect metahuman spell...

Any really nifty / nasty things anyone's done with magic fingers (most may need to filter the first thing that comes to mind on this one...)

Also, don't have the books handing, but has anyone seen used a spell that would be the equivalent of high gravity field / well? Would have a range of uses from condensing smoke / gas in the area to slowing down pursuit to affecting the aim of projectiles sent your way. Also would be good for returning grenades to sender...
Badmoodguy88
Gravity can not be manipulated but an area directional force spell would for the most part do the same trick. I have thought for a wile that a partial levitation spell would be cool. Like the spell lifts up on an object away from earth. The end result of this is that the object would have the same mass, the same inertia, but effectively weigh less for the sake of moving around. Like someone on stage with pulleys attached to them that neutralizes most of their weight. The spell might need to be under active control or be quickened an have a detection spell linked to it.

Game effects would probably be small but really there would be a lot of upsides.

Lets say you get your weight down to effectively 15 pounds and then you have gear and clothing or armor that brings the weight back up to 40-100.
Jumping would be hugely increased. If you weigh around 25 pounds and are the size of an adult human, or a troll, then your high surface area means you reach terminal velocity quickly.
Body surface area on average is this.
Child 12-13 years__1.33 m²
For men__________1.9 m²
For women________1.6 m²
And as far as I can tell from this you would reach a terminal velocity of about 18 miles per hour. A fast sprint. As apposed to around 45 mph for a 150 pound guy.
http://www.calctool.org/CALC/eng/aerospace/terminal

It would be very easy to get knocked down. You would float like a cork with out weights to pull you down. You would want to get your weight up to at least 50 pounds so that you can run fast, and then you should be able to run very fast. Recoil would be more of a problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012