Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matrix Vehicle Jacking
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
yesferatu
So I threw this at a player over the weekend and I wanted to make sure I didn't screw up the mechanics too badly.

Runner Van takes a detour through a sketchier part of town.
Runner Van is detected and intercepted by a hacker and three street thugs.
-Presumably Intuition + Perception vs. maybe Reaction + Pilot Ground + Infiltration to see the van in the meat.
-Presumably Scan + Computers to find the van's node in the Matrix?

The hacker contacts the rigger via comlink in the matrix and demands a toll.
-Scan + Computer to find the ID and then send it a message.

Naturally, the runners refuse.
The hacker spoofs the rigger's id and shuts down the van.
-Spoof + Hacking to hack the VCR vs. Rigger's System + Firewall. (The rigger glitched)
Van is stuck.
Rigger activates an 8 rating jammer and eventually gets control of the Runner Van.
??????
Escape and fire spirit chase scene ensues.

*Can someone with a lot of free time break down the rolls for something like this to make sure I'm not crazy?*
Yerameyahu
First off, whatever worked is perfectly fine. smile.gif

Scan is Elec Warfare, not Computer. Detect Active/Passive Nodes is a Free action, auto-success. Detect Hidden Node is EW + Scan (4).

Getting the car's Access ID is Analyze Node (Analyze + Computer); you get one 'detail' per hit. This isn't the same as the Rigger's Access ID or commcode.

Spoofing requires the Rigger's Access ID (as you said), so you'll need to get that another way. Logging onto the van's node to find the Rigger's icon could do it, if that's possible (his icon probably is not there). Trace User (Computer + Track, 10, Complex Action) is another way, but slow; if the Rigger is controlling the van via a subscription (Remote Control), you'll need to use this.

Spoofing the van would be Spoof + Hacking against Pilot + Firewall; IIRC, you can't spoof the van if the Rigger is Jumped In. Regardless, you can only Spoof a single command at a time, and the Rigger could easily counter with another command; the van's not necessarily 'stuck', depending on what you Spoof, and the Hacker doesn't 'have control' of it.
KarmaInferno
If the Rigger is inside the van in question, there's also a very good possibility he's got the van's wireless shut off entirely and is running it via hardwired cable or at least Skinlink.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012