Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timeline help -info needed. Matrix crash
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
lordnth
OK, I'm running SR3. Tring to keep things near the cannon timeline.
Adding details to the end of an adventure, the matrix crashes. Now I find out I don't have System Failure. frown.gif So I have to wing it.

But I have questions before my group meets for our next gaming session.
How long was the Matrix down from the crash in the 2060s?
What systems are effected? Phones? How do the news networks fare? Does the news stations even broadcast? -I though that was all done by Matrix too.
CredStick transactions? Do they still work? Security cameras are no longer remotely viewed?
Does the whole world fall into a lack of info chaos until the Matrix returns?
Deckers that were in the Matrix, what happens? Do they die? Do some come back when the Matrix returns?

I was surprised I don't have that source book and my store doesn't have that copy. Don't have time to DL, print and find time to read it.

Can anyone give me a sum up of the events and asnwer some of those questions, please?
Krojar
Sure!

How long was the Matrix down from the crash in the 2060s?

It depended on where you were. For example, in Europe, where Saeder-Krupp controlled many of the grids, things were back up and running (though likely in a much more reduced capacity pre-Crash) after a few days thanks to Lofwyr. Other places that were hit with the "double-whammy" of the Crash and an EMP and/or a fault line nuclear strike (Boston, San Fran) probably suffered for weeks, or even months, without the Matrix. So, the answer is you can choose just how bad the city was hit and how long it took to get back online.

What systems are effected? Phones? How do the news networks fare? Does the news stations even broadcast? -I though that was all done by Matrix too.

Think about everything that uses a wire today (phones, internet, television, radio, air traffic control etc.), then throw in manufacturing, ground traffic control, water and sewage, police coverage (via drones/surveillance cameras), banking, 99% of monetary exchanges ALL going out in the space of a few hours and you'll get a clearer picture of how bad things got. News does manage to go out, mostly through pirate stations, through the Shadow Matrix, or through what grids are still remaining. Of course, the bigger problem was not getting the news OUT but people getting it IN.

Does the whole world fall into a lack of info chaos until the Matrix returns?

No, but pretty damn close. The CC managed some success in putting a dent in WN's plans but only enough to just pull the world back from the brink of complete collapse and not much further. As I said some places were worse than others (Boston is described as having gone straight to hell for instance). Suffice to say that, coupled with the failed coup in the UCAS, the Sixth World is an even less hospitable place for about a year or two after The Crash than it was before but how much so depended on where you were. Like any major disaster, though, rumors fly (just look at Katrina and 9/11 for some of the crazy things that were reported in the immediate aftermath) so reliable information is hard to come by no matter where you are.

Deckers that were in the Matrix, what happens? Do they die? Do some come back when the Matrix returns?

Still being debated. Many users were dumped and suffered nothing more than bad case of dumpshock. Others had their brains fried, went insane (AIPS), became Technomancers (Otaku 2.0), and, supposedly, some got "trapped" in The Matrix and became Ghosts in the Machine/E-Ghosts. In other words, what happens to them is up to you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012